Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By shaynapug
  • 3 Post By Wonka & Nilla
  • 3 Post By puglover22
  • 1 Post By GordonBrunoPugMom

Thread: Titers

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Default Titers

Teddy is now the 4th pug that I have done a titer on. A titer is where they draw blood and send it out to see if their previous shots are still protecting them!

Bobby, Teddy, and Izzy have only had 2 puppy shots.....the last being around 15 weeks old!

Teddy had his first titer....and is fully protected against parvo and distemper!!!! I do not to Lepto shots...so didn't do that one.

Bobby is 5 and Izzy will be 6 and they're still fully protected from their puppy shots!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

I don't fancy having titers done at all - the vets here insist on taking the blood sample from the jugular. There's no way they'd get a blood sample from Xanthe like that without knocking her out first and I think Darwin who doesn't have the best breathing in the world would be likely to collapse!

Poor Bree recently came back from a dental with a large shaved area on her neck and on both front legs. My suspicion is that the trainee vet on work experience that day mucked up getting a catheter in her leg so they had to then use the other leg!
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by LilyFayre View Post
    I don't fancy having titers done at all - the vets here insist on taking the blood sample from the jugular. There's no way they'd get a blood sample from Xanthe like that without knocking her out first and I think Darwin who doesn't have the best breathing in the world would be likely to collapse!

Poor Bree recently came back from a dental with a large shaved area on her neck and on both front legs. My suspicion is that the trainee vet on work experience that day mucked up getting a catheter in her leg so they had to then use the other leg!
    We each have our own opinions......They do often take blood from the jugular vein...but it doesn't seem to bother the dogs. They do it that way as it's easier to hit the vein than in the legs. They do the same for heartworm testing. For me.....to give shots when not needed is dangerous and can cause serious problems.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Well that’s reassuring to know Diane. If it wasn’t that the thought of of a jugular vein sample when they’re conscious going horribly wrong I probably would have titers done. It doesn’t help either that none of their vets ever stay for long before moving on. I don’t think they like having to work shifts to provide 24 hour hospital cover. So you don’t get the chance to really build up any trust in them. Fortunately, though my dogs have always been ok and long lived having regular vaccines throughout their lives
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

When we first started going to our current vet, she wanted to do jugular vein draw and just the thought of it really scared me! But I've been present in the room and watched the vet do it many times now through the years and it is certainly easier on a small dog than the leg. The whole process seems much quicker, too. The only tricky part is keeping the head up and level during the draw. If the pug jerks away or thrashes, then maybe the leg would be better. But our vet was even able to do jugular vein draws on Nilla, who was not an "easy" patient.

As for titers, Wonka started getting annual titer tests when he was around maybe 4-5 years old and those earlier vaccines protected him all the way through adulthood and into his senior years. He didn't show "low" on anything until he was around 13-14 and although I can't remember which one he was low on, we discussed the pros/cons with our vet and we did decide to go ahead and get him the booster for that particular vaccine. It's amazing how puppy shots or young adult shots can provide lifelong immunity in many dogs.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

it shows you how much they would have us over-vaccinating our pets.......I'm so glad that vets eyes are beginning to open on this subject....there is still a long way to go IMO

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

I will titer Finn as he reacts to his shots, he is fine with Rabbles. They always use the leg for the blood draw here, interesting how different areas do different things.
    Susan, mom to Bo, Lucy and Finn

Honoring Sruffy, Maggie Mae, Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Default Titers

Well I found a vet they will send off for the titer and since Henry will need his tests every 6 month I guess I will combine the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by GordonBrunoPugMom; 05-05-2021 at 07:10 PM.
    shaynapug likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonBrunoPugMom View Post
    Well I found a vet bleh I will send off for the titer and since Henry will need his tests every 6 month I guess I will combine the too .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I don't do the first titer til they are 18 months -2 yrs old.

If he does need a boost......there used to be nosodes that holistic people use ...I don't know much about them!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs

+ Reply to Thread