Seizures
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Seizures

Daisymaeberrythepug is offline New to the Village

Default Seizures

Hi all! So my 9 year old pug, Daisy, gave me quite the scare last night. We were in bed when she had a grand mal seizure. It was awful. Thankfully it didn’t last long and she recovered fairly quickly. She has no history of any health issues. One thing I did notice post seizure was that her gums were very, very pale. They returned to normal within 5 minutes.

I called the emergency vet and they advised that I watch her and if she had another one to bring her in. Otherwise she could see her regular vet in the morning. No additional seizures happened so off to her regular vet we went.

Her Neurological exam was completely normal. Normal vitals. And all her labs were normal. Except her lipase which was double normal. While concerning the vet didn’t think that was the reason for her seizure. I’m very very well versed on all thing pancreas as I’ve actually had to have mine completely removed due to a deformity of the ducts causing horrific chronic pancreatitis.

We will be doing an abdominal ultrasound Wednesday to check for anything that could be causing her pancreas to be upset. But she has zero symptoms of pancreatitis.

So the seizure... I know that dogs can just suddenly start having them. She had her Interceptor the day before the seizure. The vet didn’t think that was the issue since she’s normally fine with it. But that said I only give it during the warm months and this was her first dose of the year. She has been having odd reactions to meds as she gets older. I tried to start her on Adequan last year and she got ill from that which is super rare.

What do you all think of the situation? Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I'm so sorry that Daisy had a bad seizure. They are awful to watch! Sometimes dogs will just have one and that's it. Sometimes they will go on to develop a seizure disorder and need meds to control the seizures. I hope that won't be the case for Daisy and that this was a one-time thing.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

I have not had a dog with seizures. I always think it must be so scary to watch your dog going through this ordeal with not being able to help much. I would think a calm voice talking would help in some ways. Pug Hugs ! Just pamper that baby!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Default Seizures

I’m sorry to see this. My experience with seizures is limited. “Sugar” Ray who has since passed from unrelated issues had occasional short seizures and Oscar Wilde Thang had one from a medication for anxiety that we tried due to his reactions to fireworks.
    I do know that phenobarbital is sometimes successful in controlling seizures but it takes some trial and error to get the dosage correct. This will not necessarily affect a dog’s attitude or personality. Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

AmberB is offline Village Admiral

So sorry that happened. I know how scary it is to see your dog seize.

I had a Pomeranian that developed seizures as she got older. They only occurred after flea/tick/heartworm meds so I am sure it was from that. I stopped giving them to her and she was fine after. She had been fine with those medications when she was younger. Seizures are listed as a side effect.

I wonder if aging affects the seizure threshold, making them more likely to have them...

Hope it was a one time thing and Daisy is feeling better....

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

I have no personal experience but know of many pugs with seizure issues. As far as I know, the attitude of most vets is that a one-time seizure should be investigated as you have done but may just be a one-off. Even if they start happening more regularly it is not necessarily always the best to put them on medication if they are fairly infrequent. One friend of mine had a pug who suffered from regular seizures and she was given valium suppositories for use during a seizure. The suppositories were for the pug, I might add!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Rugbysmom like this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Bustersmom is offline Village Governor

So sorry this happened and I personally know how hard to watch as there is nothing you can do but be there to help calm. My 14 yr Pug(who has since passed) developed them out of nowhere as well-I have no idea if flea tick med could cause but he had rec'd all his life. Like you vet recommended work up to see if anythign else going on and results were normal. We went months with nothing and then boom it would happen and then began to happen with more regularity-I forget the meds we were on-we also rec'd valium suppositories in case there were cluster seizures which we did experience. It can sometimes be just a one off as suggested!

jaimel134 is offline New to the Village

Sorry to jump on thread but have you any answers?
    My 4 year old pug had a big seizure this afternoon.
    Never had one before. Really not nice to watch, lost control of bowl, foam
    At mouth. Rolling back and for.
    He is not in vets overnight so they can watch him.

jaimel134 is offline New to the Village

Now in vets sorry

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by jaimel134 View Post
    Sorry to jump on thread but have you any answers?
    My 4 year old pug had a big seizure this afternoon.
    Never had one before. Really not nice to watch, lost control of bowl, foam
    At mouth. Rolling back and for.
    He is not in vets overnight so they can watch him.
    Seeing answers found and treatment working!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast