Heidi has Giardia??!!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Heidi has Giardia??!!!

Rugbysmom is online now Village Royalty

Default Heidi has Giardia??!!!

Heidi has seemed fine, but last Thurs I took her in to the vet for her shots & urinalysis. Urine was fine this time, thank goodness! I wasn't expecting any problem at all, but I took in a stool sample which they sent out to to be checked for parasites. Today I noticed a message on my answering machine that the vet's assistant had left me probably on Friday, saying that Heidi had tested positive for Giardia! She said since Heidi was asymptomatic, we could just wait & watch her, or if I wanted to go ahead & start treatment, we could do that......I told dh & he has been walking Heidi more than I have lately because he is retired & I'm still working. He said just this morning her stool did look somewhat softer than it usually does. Up until then, we thought she was acting completely normally & he didn't mention the slightly loose stool this morning because he really didn't think much about it. He said she wanted to poop twice, & the 2nd time was when he saw that is was slightly loose. I don't know how she would've gotten this, except that we do live at the lake & there are plenty of critters around. We currently have a rock chuck running around & hiding under our shed, & we often see minks. There is also a beaver than comes by during the night & chews on the wooden stairs that go down to the water. Also both our neighbors have dogs that may come over & poop in our yard if we leave our gate open. Lately it has been open because dh has been expecting deliveries. I never see the one neighbor's dog since it attacked Heidi, but we think the guy might be letting it out at night. I suppose she could have picked it up by walking through some other animal's poop & then licking her paws or something? It isn't like she is out there running around all the time & eating stuff or drinking icky water......
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Tuck and Ag's Mom is offline Village Admiral

Poor Heidi, Aggie got it years ago but we knew it came from yucky water that she went swimming in, I believe they gave her an antibiotic and metrocondizal You need to be cautious too as this is one of the few things that can be transmitted between animals and humans.
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy
    Forever in my heart Aggie, Tucker and Frank

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Oh dear, poor Heidi. I'm glad she's asymptomatic and I hope she doesn't develop any symptoms or issues. If it was my pug, I think I'd probably go ahead and treat it, just in case. But if your vet says it's not needed maybe that means she might clear it on her own?
    I hope she is all better soon!!!
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Goodness, if it isn't one thing it's another. Her urine is fine but now she has Giardia. I would definitely go with what the Vet says but if he gives you a choice I would probably opt to treat her. Hope you get it sorted out soon.
    Rugbysmom likes this.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

I agree opt to treat her. Giardia is rough. Hoping she get this yuck out of her system quick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Giardia is hard to treat!!!! But, it is treatable! I would treat....you don't need her to start showing symptoms!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Bustersmom is offline Village Governor

My guy Petey had this many years ago-It was a mess to say the least. We had let him wade in the creek near our home so that had to be it-but treated and came thru fine! Hoping comes thru with flying colors and this is a quick event!!
    Rugbysmom likes this.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

I gotta agree with those who said to treat her. Dogs and animals in general can be pretty sick before showing symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rugbysmom likes this.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

HeidiHoog is offline Village Admiral

Oh no!!! Poor Heidi. I hope it is cleared up fast!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rugbysmom is online now Village Royalty

Heidi seems fine, but I picked up metronidazole 50 mg at the vet's after work & Heidi is to take 3 a day for 5 days, then in 10 days, we'll recheck a stool sample.
    Wonka & Nilla likes this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast