• 3 Post By shaynapug
  • 2 Post By GordonBrunoPugMom
  • 1 Post By Renee
  • 2 Post By shaynapug

Thread: Experience with Titers Testing?

Renee is offline Village Mayor

Default Experience with Titers Testing?

Hello everyone!

My girl, Pepper is allergic to all of her vaccinations. The last time she got vax'd was a year ago (June 2020) and she ended up in the animal hospital. She was on steroid for approx. a week and was given antihistamine, etc.

I need to board her in September for 8 days. I found a facility that will accept titers tests as an alternative to vax records. Of course, my vet does not do the testing but I found an animal hospital up the street from me that does it. It is $60 for the exam fee and $120-220 for the test. I'm not sure why the $100 variation in cost.

My question----how long do the antibodies last? If it has been over a year since her last set of shots, is it even worth it to get the test? She is 6 years old and has several vax done thru the years but not always on schedule. I try to post-pone for as long as I can due to her adverse reactions.

Thanks everyone for your input!

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Most shots now are good for 3 yrs.

I do titer testing a year to a year and a half after the second puppy shot. It shows that my guys are protected. Did another titer on Izzy who is now 6 and Bobby who is 5...both are still covered!

No shots for my guys unless needed!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Have you checked Rover as an alternative to facility boarding ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    shaynapug and Lu Ci and Ri Ki like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Renee is offline Village Mayor

Yes, I've checked it out. I have reservations about letting a stranger have free roam of my home for a week. I really don't want to drop them at a sitters house either. I feel like there is more of a chance of them getting out or getting into something they shouldn't. Just seems a little more risky to me---and I am probably paranoid. haha
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Default Experience with Titers Testing?

Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    Yes, I've checked it out. I have reservations about letting a stranger have free roam of my home for a week. I really don't want to drop them at a sitters house either. I feel like there is more of a chance of them getting out or getting into something they shouldn't. Just seems a little more risky to me---and I am probably paranoid. haha
    I personally would prefer to leave our furkids with a trusted friend. By and large, our vacations include the pugs.

The only shots that my guys get are for rabies. And thatís only because itís a legal requirement. Sorry, but I donít really remember the intervals for their timers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CSollers; 06-23-2021 at 02:55 PM.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I leave my guys with friends......or have someone come stay here. My friend does Rover in her house! If people are like her, your baby couldn't be more safe!

My friend took her pug to the vet today. Was told they are seeing that the Distemper/parvo lasts for 6 yrs! So her next one is at 6 yrs. Told her that one of the boys she gave a shot to, probably didn't need it as his mom was still safe after puppy shots at 6 yrs old!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Renee like this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread