• 5 Post By Wonka & Nilla
  • 3 Post By Lu Ci and Ri Ki
  • 1 Post By puglover22
  • 1 Post By CSollers

Thread: Pug being sick at night

Jxery is offline New to the Village

Default Pug being sick at night

Hi all,

New user to the forum hoping for some advice.

I rehomed a pug just over a month ago, he is 2 and a few months old.

Since getting him, we've changed his food, and he eats breakfast usually at 8am and then dinner between 5 and 6pm.

When we go to bed usually at 1am, after a walk etc, he randomly will throw some food up. Sometimes its solid - but only a small amount maybe a 50p piece size and sometimes it's just liquid (and you can't see any food in it).

Last night when he was sick, it was a bit of liquid and some odd blue/green looking rubbery things when I was cleaning it up.

What would you advise? The vet said on a visual health check (not done bloods yet), he looked healthy and no issues which she could see other than slightly overweight.

Thanks in advance

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Hello and welcome to PugVillage!

The blue/green rubbery things are concerning.... I wonder if he picked them up in the yard/garden or while on a walk and ate them and that is what is causing the tummy upset. Was this the only time you've seen the blue/green things? How long (how many nights) has he been throwing up now? What food is he eating?

The blue/green things would be my first concern, but if they are all out of his system now he might start getting better all on his own.

Otherwise, sometimes pugs get acid reflux and that can cause burping or regurgitation. Occasionally some pugs will need their meal schedule adjusted or have a bit of a "snack" before bed so they don't go as long on an empty stomach. There are also a few medications available for nausea and/or for acid reflux that you could try. Before I recommend anything though, it would be helpful to know what country you are in. We have certain meds in the USA that aren't available elsewhere or are different drugs in other countries. Also, I would highly recommend you have your vet do a more thorough check before you start medicating your pug for something he may or may not have.

Another possibility is the food he's eating. He could be allergic to something in it or it could just be "too rich" (fatty) for his tummy. Which brings up another possibility... it could also be pancreatitis. That seems less likely to me since he's only vomiting at night and not with each meal, but it's certainly a possibility. Your vet can help you determine if that is the issue.

Sending best wishes to your boy and I hope you can figure out what the problem is.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Hello and to PugVillage. Glad you have joined us. Wonka & Nilla gave you good advice. I, too, was thinking acid reflux and maybe a light snack before bed would help settle his stomach.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

I'm also worried about the blue/green thing.....could it be part of a toy?
    is he pooping normally?
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

The foreign matter in her vomit makes the question of whether she’s pooping extremely important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    shaynapug likes this.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

+ Reply to Thread