Pugs and Hot Weather - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Pugs and Hot Weather

I have a solution for everyone: Send your pugs up to me for the summer! OK, maybe not the best soilution... Even up here, because pugs are used to temps BELOW 60 F, when the weather gets above 70 F I have to keep them cool and wet. I keep a kiddy pool outside with an inch or so of water, and on our hotter days, I splash them down frequently. They have a room to stay in on the cool side of my house while I work.

Also, I NEVER EVER leave my pugs in the car after the temps get above 50 F. Cars warm up too quickly on a sunny day and my pugs can't adjust.

Good idea to remind us, Danté!

That is exactly why we went out last night and bought a new air conditioner!

DantePugs is offline Founding Member

I'm glad ya'll find the article helpful!

I'm also a tiny bit proud of my handy dandy thermometer

There was a question about what other signs we might see if our Pugs are in danger from the heat......There really aren't any and that is what makes being vigilant about how we care for our Pugs in the warm weather so important.

Even my mentioning the heavy panting and breathing as a potential sign is kind of a sketchy thing because as we all know, Pugs can pant heavily and have labored breathing pretty much all the time, or at any time....So even that as a possible sign isn't something to rely on.

Basically, heatstroke can develop in a matter of seconds and it really doesn't matter if the Pug is being active, or just dozing off in the sun somewhere. Generally we just can't see it coming.

So uh......party at Maryjo's? BYOP.....Bring Your Own Pugs?

After today, which hit a balmy 88 degrees (feels very wrong in May) I'm about ready for some cooler weather.
    DantePugs

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

mslaurih is offline Village Mayor

DefaultImportant question

We live in No. CA and it gets really hot out here. We have a pool and Kobe is always outside in the summer with us. If we are out, he is out (never goes out alone except for thru the doggie door to potty then right back in). I put him in the pool every half hour or so, or get him wet with the hose. I have never had a problem with the heat as long as he is wet at all times. He pants more when he plays hard inside where it is cool. I am now paranoid about heat stroke!! Is it possible for heat stroke to occur if there is no panting?? He curls up under a chair or under an oak tree in the shade and seems fine. Are there always signs of heat stroke??

DefaultHeatstroke in the house???

Hi All.
    This is my first summer with Angus (4 year old fawn male). I live in ATL, so he gets very limited time outside and even then I'm constantly watching for signs and I use my fingers to feel under his armpit to check his temp. My question is can a pug get heatstroke in a house? I tend to be cold all the time, so I don't run my air conditioner much. I have ceiling fans going all the time and keep ice in his water, but it seems like Angus is always panting around inside the house. Could this just be normal pug panting or should I be worried?
    Any advice would be great!
    -Penny

Hi Penny,

I'm in San Francisco and it rarely gets super hot over here, but it does on occassion. I have come home during lunch to see my Pug very uncomfortable from the hot weather, so now, whenever there is a hot day ahead, I'll freeze a couple 2-liter bottles full of water and just leave them around the house. Blackjack lays on/near them to cool off. Another thing you can get is a cooling bed. These help keep out Pugs nice and cool. Hope this helps.
    Coca'sMama likes this.

Winston has had almost a heatstroke when my parents and I
    went to Reno a while back. I was at my mother because
    I kept on telling her that we should left earlier in the morning.

Anyway, To my quick thinking, as soon we got in the hotel room, I
    took the damped towel soaked in cool water and wrapped it on his
    body. Winston was sooo greatful and relieved with what I did that
    he stayed beside me the rest of the day and night.

Recently, I make sure his sunbathing time is short. And, I ALWAYS
    glance outside to see if he's ready to come in.

jwestoverpug is offline Village Royalty

I think a pug could suffer from a heatstroke in the house if it's warm/hot. We never had air conditioning before the pugs, but I realized very quickly Rudy was going to need it to be comfortable and healthy through the summer. I've become spoiled with it now too.

Jesse

sassismom is offline Village Original Southern Dame

This is exactly why we aren't putting a doggy door in the new house! I am too afraid Sassi would get soo hot she could not find her way back inside she suns by the back door and pants but the air is always on 75 during the day and she has ceiling fans. I am going to order the water bottle at chiwawa gaga it looks less messy than any I have seen before!
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow My Sweet Babies until we meet again at the Bridge Sassi (1998 - 2011) Angus (2005 - 2017) Meelah (2005 - 2018) Sissi (2011 - 2019)

DefaultHot weather

In North Carolina, the weather has been high 80's low 90's with LOTS of humidity. I took Caleb outside for 10 minutes to chase his ball (which he loves to do-even bounces it himself with his front paw!) and he didn't stop panting for about an hour and half. I had read a lot about the heatstroke issue before, so I probably am a little more paranoid than necessary about it. My husband makes a good point: "Well, he IS wearing a black coat!" Another thing is to make sure that there is ice water in a bowl nearby if they're going to be outside for a little while. I've also noticed his breathing gets really labored because of the heat even on short walks. I know it's not his airway because the vet checked that, so if he starts to wheeze I take him inside ASAP. So far, no problems. He takes off like a rocket when I take off the leash!
    Last edited by darro004; 05-28-2004 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast