Pugs and Hot Weather
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Pugs and Hot Weather

DantePugs is offline Founding Member

DefaultPugs and Hot Weather

Greetings Villagers!

I went to the vet this morning to drop off a urine sample from CoCo, and what I saw while at the vets was a reminder for me to post this today.

Today, I saw the first of what my vet says will be between 12-15 Pugs brought into their office for heatstroke. The Pug, left to nap outside for 3 hours on a slate covered apartment building balcony in 78 degree temperatures, went into convulsions. He was quickly wrapped in a towel soaked in room temperature water, rushed to the vet and given valium to counter the convulsive activity....

....He survived, and the vet is confident a full recovery will be made. However, this Pug and his owner got lucky. 40% of the Pugs brought into our vets office each year with heatstroke, die...And another 10% live, but suffer some form of irreperable damage.

Seeing this, especially so early in the year prompted me to drop this post here, in the form of a Sticky where it will remain till summer is behind us.

Please click the link the below, which will take you directly to the Hot Weather warning article we have on the main section of PugVillage.com. It's a very general article, but in my opinion a must read, or at least a must recommend article:

https://www.pugvillage.com/hot_weather.htm

Let's be careful out there!
    DantePugs

tab10 is offline Village Puppy

Dang it, I feel like such a bad puggy dad. Thunder had been outside alot the last few days over at my sisters....even got sunburn as I mentioned in another thread... that mistake wont be made again.
    former handle Redbrds20

DantePugs is offline Founding Member

You're not a bad Pug dad, and please don't feel that you are!!

It is unusually early for all of us to have to consider warm temps and Pugs. Believe me, I was plenty surprised to see that Pug brought in for heat stroke....I mean, it was warmish yesterday, but we've had nothing but cool, damp weather recently and it really doesn't feel like Spring even, let alone summer. I don't think many of us, including myself, are in the summer mindset yet, so please don't feel guilty. :cheshire:
    DantePugs

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Pugdawg1 is offline Village Baker

For us, definitely starting to be a concern again... been in the mid 80s for the last week or two. Having to switch to late evening or early morning walks for the pugs. Winston's water bottle has become very handy. He bangs on my leg when he's thirsty LOL
    Marnie & Winston
    Always and forever missing her Oscar.

M'Dear Pug is offline Administrator Emerita

Same thing here, Marnie. It's been beautiful and less humid than usual but still too hot for late afternoon walks. We're going just before dark and already shortening the length of the walks, even for Jimbo.

A couple of years ago a young, healthy pug died here after the owner left to run a short errand leaving her son playing with a couple of other little boys and the family pug. At some point they all went outside and were running and playing and everyone was having a great time until the pug suddenly collapsed, started having massive seizures and died.

A policeman told me about another local case where some kids stole a pug out of someone's backyard and then chased it until it had a heatstroke and died.

The humidity here can make a relatively comfortable temperature feel like a sauna. If adults with heart problems are warned to avoid hot, humid weather it's obvious small pugs with compromised circulatory systems certainly don't need to be outside more than brief periods at a time.

Pretty soon I'll start carrying a small bottle of water in my pocket when I walk the pugs. My Gumdrop absolutely cannot handle any heat and humidity but that brief walk every night is the highlight of her day. She'll start out O.K. but quickly run out of steam and I usually just carry her in my arms, which she also enjoys.

Ann
    http://img.mypicgallery.com/Extra/redleash_large.jpg
    Those we have held in our arms for a little while,
    we hold in our hearts forever.

ruebella is offline Gallery Moderator

Im already experiencing issues with the heat here in Las Vegas. It was 95 Degrees here today, and after only being outside for a few minutes, Deoji displayed signs (at least to me) that it was time to go back inside.

It really sucks for him because he loves to go to the Dog Park. We went tonight (it got down to 84 degrees around 9pm) and no one was there for Deoji to play with.

Desert climates = bad Puggy weather.
    Deanna, Deoji, Ping & Pixel
    Southern Nevada Pug Rescue

Pugdawg1 is offline Village Baker

Quote Originally Posted by ruebella
    Im already experiencing issues with the heat here in Las Vegas. It was 95 Degrees here today, and after only being outside for a few minutes, Deoji displayed signs (at least to me) that it was time to go back inside.

It really sucks for him because he loves to go to the Dog Park. We went tonight (it got down to 84 degrees around 9pm) and no one was there for Deoji to play with.

Desert climates = bad Puggy weather.
    Ohhhhhhh I was in Vegas 9 years.. I wound up having to move to Northern Nevada almost 2 years ago - Oscar just couldn't take the heat anymore. He would want to be out so bad, had to keep him inside too much.. Up here, it's easier on him, he can be out and about more. Though of course.. during the summer, heat of the day up here, they still have to be inside awhile.
    Marnie & Winston
    Always and forever missing her Oscar.

Lemon is offline Village Admiral

This is a good reminder, Dante. I'm constantly monitoring Lemon in the heat, and I've caught myself thinking, "She seems fine, just a little longer." But I have to keep telling myself this... by the time you start seeing signs of heatstroke, it may be too late.

I'll definitely be more careful this summer.
    Kathleen (and Lemon, too!)

©Amanda Jones Photography

Thanks for posting that. I will definitely remember to limit Blackjack's sun time.

What other signs besides the heavy panting and breathing should I look for when it's hot out? It doesn't really get that hot in SF, but I would like to know just in case. I'm a paranoid parent!

Rae

UnhappyHeat on Pugs

:-| I know my babies(the ones just turned one) got to be crazy,when they first go outside in the early am,they run til their hearts content,chasing each other-by mid noon,they sure slow down & don't wanna stay outside very long.But,I have one that just don't wanna listen,I am so afraid he's gonna have a heart/heat attack one of these days,I keep their bottle of water withme at all times when it's hot.er what I have to do to make him come in when it gets hot,the other ones are glad to! I just love these little guys,never had small dogs I could carry before.But I fell in love with them,will never have anything else,but Pugs from here on in! My Face is heavy,tho'! Feels like he weighs 50 pounds,but he don't!! Only 22#!whew!! Thick!! <<<my babies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast