Need HELP!! Please
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need HELP!! Please

layagirl is offline Village Puppy

Default Need HELP!! Please

Hi im new to the forum. This is kinda a long story so please bare with me. I rescued a female pug back in march from a neighbor that moved and pretty much abandoned her. They had a male pug also but they took him. Laya is a smaller breed of pug I believe cause she is quite smaller then the male pug they had. When I first brought her into my home she wasnt eating very good, she would eat a little bit of dog food out of my hand but other then that she wasnt interested in it at all, she would eat whatever we had on our plate's but would not eat dog food , I tried different name brand's of hard and canned dog food and just couldnt get her to eat it. After having her for a couple of week's I noticed that her teat's started to sag but I figured it was cause she had lost weight when we first got her and didnt think much more about it. Well last night she was laying on the couch with her belly showing really good and I really got to looking at her teat's and realized that they were more fuller like they had milk in them so I squezzed one of the nipples and milk came out. So I now realize I have a pregnant pug and have no clue what to do. I have never had a pregnant dog before. Im worried that with her not eating dog food and only eating human food that she hasnt been getting enough nutrient's that babies should probably be getting. I feed her like canned chicken and ham and I even boil chicken breast and cover it with chicken broth but that doesnt seem like enough to me. I've done some research and found that at 3 week's is when the teat's start to get bigger and pink up (had no clue they did that and didnt notice them pinking up) so Im figuring that she is probably around 8 week's. She isnt very big and Ive been trying to feel babies moving around and havent felt them. Should I be feeling them move yet? Will I feel them? What should I do about her not eating dog food cause in the research I was doing it said that she should be eating puppy food but she doesnt eat any dog food? I just need some advice on what I should do. We havent taken her to the vet cause when we rescued her she had a vet tag on for her vaccines and they were up to date. I have 2 young children and my husband is the only income we have and he doesnt get paid till next friday so we couldnt get her to a vet till then. Sorry this is so long and I hope it make's sense and I REALLY HOPE that someone can give me some good advice and not judge me or tell me I should give her up sense I cant get her into a vet yet. Thank you for reading and thank's in advance for any advice.

Angus2009 is offline Village Governor

She needs to see the vet asap....
    Zeake likes this.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Bless you for taking her in!!!!

She needs to be taken to a vet right away!! If she has milk...puppies might be due any time now...IF you're lucky....it's a false pregnancy..with no pups!!

If there are pups...She needs constant supervision as pug mom's need a lot of help with birthing! I recommend you go to the library and take out books on canine whelping...realizing that many pugs need c sections..especially if they are small!! I always c section my girls! I don't have time to write a lot...have to go to work...and am coming home to get my boy and leave for dog shows. Will try to be on this weekend...but don't count on me!!!

Call your vet...also call a kennel club near you to see if someone with a pug near you...or even another breed is willing to help you!

If she's not pregnant...wait a month or so and spay her.

If she is pregnant..wait a month to 2 months to spay her! Do not ignore this as she can get pyrometria from one of her heats and die!

If you cannot afford this, I would give her to a rescue to make sure that she's okay and that the pups are okay! MAYBE they'll work something out with you that they get all the pups to adopt out and you can have your girl back if you pay for her spay??
    Last edited by shaynapug; 04-29-2011 at 06:43 AM.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

You really do need to get to see a vet. Try to make some financial arrangement with them if you can't pay all up front.

Pug breeding is not for the faint hearted and I hope this is a false pregnancy.

A pregnancy lasts an average of 63 days, so depending when in March you got her puppies could be arriving quite soon if she is pregnant.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

to the village and thanks for rescueing her. Sounds like you got more than you bargained for!!There are alot of really experienced pug owners on here and some have given you sage advice already.Can the rescue help you? Most vets will work with you. Good luck and please let us know how she's doing.

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

I am no help at all with pregnant pugs, but welcome that thank you for helping this poor wee girl out.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

First of all, Hi & Bless your heart for taking this girl into your home! You've already gotten lots of good advice here, so I'll just add my positive thoughts & prayers that if your girl is pregnant, that all will be well. I agree to get her checked by a vet ASAP, as Pugs can have lots of trouble whelping, and some are not good mothers, so you would need to watch carefully for that. There are lots of nice, knowledgeable people on this board who can help you each step of the way....best of luck, & please keep us posted. Rugbysmom

luluthepug is offline Village Governor

I'd echo what the other posters are saying here - she needs to get to a vet. And I understand not having the money to do it! Do you have other pets? And already have a vet? If so, you might talk to the vet about your financial situation - and that time is of the essence....maybe the seriousness of the situation will help and they'll see you and send a bill for next week? Contacting a rescue is a good idea too - although they are all strapped for cash too. Sounds like you are really trying to hard to do the right thing for your pug - what is her name? Good for you for taking her in. No one will judge you here - we all want what's in the best interest of both you and your pug (and especially her babies). I hope you find some local help. I know it would be difficult, but you may even considering giving her over to the rescue - pug and puppies (x however many she has) might equal more vet care expense than you bargained for (when you thought you were taking just one pug in). I have two rescues - and have a hard enough time paying for them...! Can't imagine having to vet 4, 5 or 6 puppies - all at the same time. Whatever your decision is - I hope for a good outcome for everyone and every pug involved.
    Kara
    I dip my pen in the blackest ink, because I'm not afraid of falling into my inkpot.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

owned by Walnut and the Baby Buddha aka Wally & Baby
    Penny (big, black, fluffy cat)
    our guardian angel, Lulu,
    and forever young kitties Max, Clara & Bessie

layagirl is offline Village Puppy

Thank's everyone for the warm welcome's and the advice. Laya is doing really good. I finally felt a baby move today. Im going to guess that she only has one in there. I dont have any other pet's and we are new to our area so we dont have a vet. My mother in law has mentioned that she want's one of the puppies/puppy so Im going to talk to her this weekend and see if she wont agree to help with the vet bill, if not im going to call around to the vet's and explain the situation and see if they could work out a payment arrangement. Laya seem's pretty content and comfortable. I will try to keep you updated. How do I post pic's?

Daisy's Daddy is offline Village VP

Welcome and thank you for taking in this poor abandoned baby! We love pictures and would love to see Laya. Here is a link to a thread telling you how to post pictures: https://www.pugvillage.com/forum/how-...ugvillage.html

Daisy and Huckstable
    Loved by Kent and Mary

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast