Moving with a pug - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Moving with a pug

lihuesue is offline Village Senator

Just a thought... could you put an ad in your local newspaper, telling your story and maybe you could find someone to share a ride with to Seattle with your Pug. They drive and you split the cost.

Or maybe a Pug Rescue may be able to work out some sort of ground transportation (for a fee of course).
    Last edited by lihuesue; 07-24-2011 at 11:04 AM.

aronnyc is offline Village Puppy

@Beachykeen: Yeah, that's a good idea, checking BBB.

@lihuesue: I was thinking of something along those lines; was thinking of using Craigslist. I might fly Plato using Pet Airways to LA, and then find someone to drive us up from there. It's about 18 hours up to Seattle, which is a lot less than the week it would take driving from NY.

Again, any additional advice/thoughts/experiences that anyone can share would be much appreciated!

If any of you live in the LA area and know of someone who's willing to drive me and my Plato up the Seattle, let me know. I'm willing to cover all the gas and additional expenses as well as offer a stipend in exchange. As pug lovers, I'm sure you understand why I don't want my dog to be traveling in an unsafe condition. Just message me directly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

HomerNMarge is offline Village Royalty

Coming from experience... Please don't let your dog fly cargo. We almost lost our female pug this past christmas (it's mandatory for them to be cargo to/from Hawaii)...

Try uship.com.. you post when/what & where you need things to be moved from, and people make you offers. Some big rig truckers I know do this to make money on the side, and usually if it's dogs they let them ride on the seat next to them, out of a crate.. they will stop and take them for potty breaks, and feed them, let them run around and play.

Try some of these links as well:
    Pet Moving

Pet Transportation Companies and Movers

Goodluck!!
    Cindy
    owned by:

"Enjoy the flavor of life, Take big bites!"

Mountain Mom is offline Village Governor

Pet Airways to LA, San Francisco or Reno, then Southwest (pets fly in the cabin) to Seattle. Would be pricey but worth her safety and your peace of mind!
    HomerNMarge likes this.

Gosh, I can't begin to thank you for these suggestions. I'll definitely give them a try. There's no way I'm putting my dog in the cargo, certainly not if I'm moving within the continental US.

I'll have to give Southwest a call. I flew from NYC to Seattle recently via Jetblue and a lady had her dog (not a pug but about the same size) strapped to her like a baby. Maybe I can do that.

In any case, thanks. Please post any additional suggestions if you have them!
    Mom to Lucy likes this.

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

Huge thumbs up about SW ... I took two doxies from Tulsa to San Diego and back, in cabin, in the same carrier for $75 and it was wonderful!
    Mom to Lucy likes this.
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Just a quick update for those who've helped me make my decision, Plato and I both made it safely to Seattle about two weeks ago. I ended up flying him on Pet Airways from NYC to LA, then had a friend of a friend drive him up from LA to Seattle. He got quite the VIP treatment but it was worth my peace of mind.

Pet Airways ended up being a great move. They're expensive but they're really great people who care a lot about your pet.

Thanks again for all of you who've given me advice.

(Plato on the Seattle bus)

(Plato at our new home)
    Last edited by aronnyc; 10-03-2011 at 12:58 AM.

cookie_monster is offline Village Mayor

Glad you got him there safe, never have problems like this in england, you can drive from the very bottom to the very top of england in about 4 hours

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I'm so glad that things turned out so well!

Hope you both enjoy your new life!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast