Help! Can I bathe my baby pug?
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cookie_monster

Thread: Help! Can I bathe my baby pug?

jolifer is offline Village Puppy

Default Help! Can I bathe my baby pug?

My Coby is 3 months old. I gave him a quick shower with just water about a week ago. He seems fine (fur, skin). But everyone told me not to do it.

In the end I relented because I had put some anti-flea medication on the little puppy and he just smelled terrible for the next couple of days.

Immediately after the water shower he smelled great, but I've definitely found a couple of fleas since then. What are your recommendations as far as washing the pug - how often? just water? special shampoo?

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for an anti-flea medication that won't make Coby all stinky??

Snifter is online now Moderator/Village Merchant

Frontline pipettes that you squeeze onto the back of the neck don't smell and don't lose their efficacy so long as you do not bathe the pug for 2 days after you use it. Stronghold is similar (though more expensive) and is equally inoffensive.

Washing them with plain water is fine, though I would not recommend doing it unless you need to. If you use a shampoo it must be one formulated for dogs. Make sure he is properly dry afterwards before going outside (unless the weather is hot) or to bed. Make sure you dry well between his toes and his wrinkle if his face has got wet. Also make sure you don't get water in his ears.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

jolifer is offline Village Puppy

Hi! I believe that Frontline is the one I used! It made Coby smell terrible, very chemical :(

I heard there was some spray that smelled better. Do you know about it?

Also, I'm pretty sure that I waited about 48 hours before I washed him (after the Frontline pipette). But in the end, I'm still finding one or two fleas every day. Should I have waited longer? Is 48 hours the time recommended?

Thanks for all your help!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

cookie_monster is offline Village Mayor

I would check with your vet before using something else, frontline is pretty strong and in england only licensed people can sell it like pharmacys and vets, so I would check before you re-apply or use something else but thats just me :)
    6 Beautiful Pugs likes this.

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

There is no reason you can't wash your puppy. A gentle dog shampoo will be fine. Make sure you rinse well after shampooing. I wash all twelve of my dogs once a week.

I would consult a vet in regard to the flea issue. You may have a yard that is infested that is why you still see them on him occasionally. Normally Frontline is not washed off after 24-48 hours, don't apply anything else before the normal monthly) without consulting the vet.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

pugmma is offline Village Puppy

Im with Snifter. Baths are fine, just use a puppy formulated shampoo and dont bathe too often.

miss_emily is offline Village Mayor

You can apply an advantage/frontline after about 3 weeks from the application date of the frontline. Remember, with the topical flea medications, it does take about 24 hours for the fleas to die off after jumping on the dog and biting the dog. It's not a barrier and it's not instant gratification. It takes some time. I would have waited longer than 48 hours to bathe him, but that's just me. It's suppose to be water proof, but nothing is ever guaranteed in life. stick with the frontline or advantage, don't use any collars or crappy over the counter stuff. If you can get comfortis in a single dose, that would be ideal since it's oral.
    *Emily*
    Frankie-Pug Mix

Come and visit our blog!

Himmy is offline Village Mayor

I also agree with Lisa, baths are fine just use a mild dog safe shampoo, I used advantage this month because it seems fleas are really bad right now with it getting colder and here in pa we have received a record amount of rain for this year and Frontline didn't seem to help for some reason. My vet recommended i try something different. My yard is also treated for fleas. Problem is that if I take my babies to the park or for a walk around town most people don't treat their yards. I also recommend that your remove any collar or harness because the topical flea medication can be absorbed into such items and take away the effectiveness of the flea medication.. Hope this helps,

Betty and the girls (Lexie&Lily)

+ Reply to Thread