Very nervous about Friday. Rebbie is getting neutered.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very nervous about Friday. Rebbie is getting neutered.

newpugmomma is offline Village Governor

Default Very nervous about Friday. Rebbie is getting neutered.

I know it is a common procedure. I am sure he will be fine. I am mostly worried about after the surgery...when I bring him home. What can I expect? HOw long is he going to act out of it? What can I do to help him feel better?

I am so nervous about taking care of him after a surgery. I am imagining him crying in pain and being hard to keep calm.

Advice? tips?

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

Nemo just had his procedure. Slept like a log to Dinner and you'd never know he was done.
    A nummy kong in a crate when you need him to rest
    All the dogs I have had done, none of them have presented as painful or problematic. I wish you the same
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Will he have to go back to have stitches removed? did your little nemo have to wear the cone of shame any?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Terminallove is offline Village Mayor

I understand being nervous- I will definitely be nervous for miikka getting neutered even though ive been through it plenty of times before.

Bauser post neuter was like bauser any other day. When I picked him up you wouldnt even know that he was neutered. The vet did internal stitches that dissolve because she saw how crazy he was. He came home and my only trouble was getting him to rest and not run around like a crazy dog. Needless to say it didnt work so he just continued being himself.

Bandit was a mess. He was still very doped up from the anethesia, he could barely walk for a few hours and pretty much just slept and shook while he slept(which was apparently normal.) HOWEVER, bandit was 10 years old when he was neutered so i didnt expect him to take it as well at 8 month old bauser did.

Good luck, he will be fine!
    L A Y L A&
    BAUSER, MIIKKA AND PUG BY ASSOCIATION, BANDIT.

OH, i hope they do internal stitches! He is crazy too. Did you r bauser settle down any post snip snip?

Quote Originally Posted by newpugmomma View Post
    Will he have to go back to have stitches removed? did your little nemo have to wear the cone of shame any?
    He has glue ... and no cone. He just sailed through it ... and Doxies are veryveryveryvery busy little dogs.
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Good thing doxies are cute, right? LOl. I love your posts about them.

Quote Originally Posted by newpugmomma View Post
    Good thing doxies are cute, right? LOl. I love your posts about them.
    Cute certainly helps!! LOL
    Anne

-Robert A. Heinlein

Terminallove is offline Village Mayor

Haha...settle down? I wish. He is STILL kinda crazy and he is now 3 1/2. He definitely "Matured" when he hit 2 years old, but he was a MANIAC until then. Which is so crazy. I have little miikka now, who is 6 months and such a calm puppy. I mean he has puppy energy...but he is definitely not as high strung as bauser ever was.

Oh also, he didnt have to go back to have anything removed because they were dissolving stitches. And he did not wear a cone because he could care less about his surgery and never paid it any attention haha. He was too busy being interested in everything else going on in the world.
    L A Y L A&
    BAUSER, MIIKKA AND PUG BY ASSOCIATION, BANDIT.

miss_emily is offline Village Mayor

He will be fine! Just make sure you choose to do any bloodwork (unless it's required) that way you have some piece of mind. As far as the surgery itself...it's much less invasive than a spay since it's not going into the abdomen. The incision is like an inch big and it may or may not have buried sutures. Most vets bury the sutures, but if not, then you would get the sutures removed 10-14 days after the sx. Some dogs need a cone and some might not...it all depends on the dog. Frank needed one because he is OCD and wouldn't leave it alone. Gracie, my other dog could have cared less about her spay. I hate to say he will be nice and calm for you when you pick him up, because I've made that mistake telling owners that during a spay/neuter/dental discharge and they bring the dog up and he is just so hyper and happy to see the owner...again, this all depends on the dog. He should be back to normal the next day. If you have to crate him to keep him from being to rambunctious, then do so. I've seen what happens when sutures open up, and in some cases, it's not fun. They usually suture in a couple of layers, which helps a lot from sutures opening. He shouldn't be in pain, as often times Morphine is given right before they get put under, and then an oral pain med is given when they are awake. They do REALLY well with these procedures and shouldn't need any additional pain medication...remember, it's a much less invasive process with an incision that's an inch or less. When you bring him home, he may or may not want to eat...that can be normal...again, he should be back to normal the next day. Also anesthesia can cause an upset stomach, so feed him a little less than normal that night to not possibly have a yucky tummy and some vomiting.
    Good luck! He should be fine..don't stress about it.
    *Emily*
    Frankie-Pug Mix

Come and visit our blog!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast