HELP!! Bugsy Just Hurt Himself! - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: HELP!! Bugsy Just Hurt Himself!

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Well, he is able to walk, but it is still stiff legged and he falls a lot. He was VERY anxious in his crate last night. He wanted onto the big bed where he normally sleeps, so he whined and dug at the pad a lot in his crate. He woke up and peed in there....can't tell if it's from the pred or if he is unable to control it....probably a little of both. No poo yet, normally he goes early in the morning.

Vet opens at 9 am our time.

Take care,
    Lisa
    Last edited by 6 Beautiful Pugs; 10-20-2011 at 09:46 AM.
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Buddy's Mom is offline Village Admiral

Let us know what the vet says. I'll be thinking of you this morning and sending good thoughts.
    Jennifer

Owned by: Buddy 11-22-03 - 4-17-14 RIP My Buddy, Oscar 1-18-09, & Sophie 4-08-10 - 10-08-15 RIP Sweet Sophie, Elmer Chihuahua 10-6-12, & Otto Chihuahua 11-28-14, 2 Fabulous Kitties, Wife to Chris and Mom to Ryan!

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." Alice Walker

"Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!" ~Anne Tyler

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

You're in my thoughts!!!! 9 for you is 12 here. I'll be home til about 4...so will be checking in!

Remember too, that the meds don't fix anything...just make things more comfortable. If it's a disk and they want to do surgery, please check with a chiro first! We had one that was hit by a fed ex truck.....vet wanted to do surgery. Foster took her to the chiro. After several treatments.......she was able to be adopted out....The new home only had to take her a few more times...and last I heard she only came in yearly for check ups!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

miss_emily is offline Village Mayor

Poor baby...waiting for some updates!
    *Emily*
    Frankie-Pug Mix

Come and visit our blog!

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Thinking of you and Bugsy as you head off for the vet. I'll be watching for an update.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

gopuggo is offline Village Governor

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Back from the vet.

He has a ruptured disc, right behind his last rib.

The vet says having the pred on hand, knowing how much to give, that it was the appropriate drug to give and getting it into him immediately probably saved his mobility, especially considering how profound his paralysis was when it happened. He is having me continue what I started, 10 mg. pred twice a day for 5 days, then taper down and the Torbugesic syrup three times a day as needed. Cage rest for 2-3 weeks.

After 2-3 weeks we should have a better idea what deficits he may be left with. He does not recommend chiro at all, in fact is violently opposed to it, but says after the initial 2-3 weeks, acupuncture or water therapy may help.

The x-rays looked pretty good, no fractures, no major bone deterioration. A little spondylitis here and there and a bit of arthritis where the spine joins the pelvis, but nothing major.

He does not recommend surgery he says it is only successful about half the time and sometimes makes things worse, and it is prohibitively expensive to most folks.

I got out for $139. Whew...my budget is SUPER over-extended right now so I feel very lucky. Once again, my store of drugs saved me from more serious problems or a super expensive ER trip.

Gotta go out and find lots of bones and Kong stuffers, because he's getting tired of the cage rest.

Take care,
    Lisa
    Last edited by 6 Beautiful Pugs; 10-20-2011 at 03:29 PM.
    Santa Claus and Mom to Lucy like this.
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

PugMa is offline Village Admiral

Oh wow Lisa, that is so rough on you and Bugsy. I'm praying that with rest, things will move back into place and no permanent damage will occur. Not sure if you do pork hide but our pugs love them some pork rolls and pork snouts. (yeah, I think its yuck, but they love it.) Jeffers Pet has good prices and very quick with delivery. I just ordered from them on Sun and received what I ordered on Tuesday. Snoozles
    Kim
    Ma to Joy
    &
    MuShu & Kaya's Grand"Ma"'

"A dog naps so much because he loves so hard."

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

Can you cut the legs off the dining table so he has easier mobility to pee on the groceries?

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Just catching this now. I'm sorry to hear about the injury, but boy us Bugsy ever lucky you have your own pharmacy!!! I would take it as a good sign that he's tired of cage rest already. If he didn't mind being in there, That would be worse. I'm afraid I agree with the vet about chiro in a case like this. For a ruptured disc like that, manipulation could make the impingement on the spinal cord even worse.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast