Pugs as service dogs
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By *Leenie*

Thread: Pugs as service dogs

*Leenie* is offline Village VP

Default Pugs as service dogs

So I was at my Shrink the other day. I started seeing one for severe panic and anxiety distorter after I went into remission. Having such a serious illness at such a young age really took its toll on me mentally.

But anyway we were talking and my doctor thought it would be a good idea to have Benny certified as my service dog. Somehow he knows when I'm going to have an attack and he sits in my lap facing me and puts his head on my shoulder. So I know to take my medicine for it. Or if I start having an OCD tick he'll bark and snap me outta it. Its the weirdest thing.

I was wondering if anyone has seen or heard of pugs being service dogs? My doctor said he would do the research and get the ball rolling and ive been doing some myself. But I havent really found any other pugs as service dogs just therapy dogs.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Tiny's Mum is offline Village VP

I really can't help you on this subject but I do know that Tiny was the best medicine for my husband when he came home after having open heart surgery for 5 heart by-passes. He had complications and was quite weak when he finally came home. Tiny seemed to sense this and was so gentle with him. Even now, if Bill coughs,Tiny looks at him in alarm. She seems to know if he is having a 'down' day and will be extra affectionate. Maybe all loyal dogs are like this, but pugs certainly seem to have a gift for sensing if things are not quite right with Mum or Dad.

Oh wow, im glad your husband is okay. That's quite the operation to go through.

Yeah they do seem to know dont they? Its the weirdest thing how fast Benny picked up on my ticks and stuff. They are amazing little dogs thats for sure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

PugMa is offline Village Admiral

My daughter also has anxiety/panic disorder with a bit of Bi Polar added in. Her therapist was quite willing to give her papers stating that her dog (at that time this was MuShu) was needed to help with her anxiety issues so that if she moved (which they were in the process doing) that she could show this to her prospective landlord's if the apartment they found did not allow dogs. Of course, the landlord is NOT obligated to accept it but it was a great comfort knowing that the therapist agreed that her dog was part of her therapy. My husband also has a "therapy" dog. Our toy Rat Terrier Jubilee has helped him a great deal to be comforted through his disability. She brought him out of a major depression.
    I don't know what the actual process of getting a dog "Therapy Certified" is though.
    Kim
    Ma to Joy
    &
    MuShu & Kaya's Grand"Ma"'

"A dog naps so much because he loves so hard."

Ivy
    Ivy is offline Village Puppy

I also have a really severe panic and anxiety disorder with OCD, and if you ever need to talk, please pm me. :)

Nino Brown is offline Village Mayor

Effective March 15, 2011, “Service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability.

Emotional Support Animals | Service Dog Central

Lots of good reading on the site. i don't see anything about specific breeds but i would say that Pug would fall under emotional support animals.

Libby2 is offline Village Admiral

The above is correct and any dog can be certified. As long as they pass the course. I actually saw an episode on Dog Whisperer quite by accident as I don't watch it. She was having hers trained for the same reason. My beef is whether or not Spanky could pass the test - while he emotionally gives me support, I think the course would cause me anxiety! ; ) Catch-22. I also had another good reason to get him certified and that was for flying.

Bottoms Up!
    Spanky & Libby

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Any breed can act as an emotional support animal. I think it's a good idea to have Benny certified. I would discourage you from just taking him with you everywhere and saying he's a service dog without proper certification. When people do that and store owners etc find out it gives the folks with legit certified dogs a harder time being accepted. There's a good reason why the certification exists - otherwise anyone could claim their dog is a service animal. I don't think the certification test is that hard -- basic obedience commands, non aggression with unfamiliar dogs and people, attention, stays etc.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Yeah I am definitely getting him certified. I just gotta find a course and sign up.
    Wally 'n' Leto likes this.

Daisy's Daddy is offline Village VP

Actually, it doesn't appear there is any test:

http://www.servicedogsamerica.org/faq.html
    How do I get my dog certified as an assistance dog?
    Currently there is no form of certification for assistance dogs. You may personally train your dog to accomplish your own specific needs. What qualifies your dog as an assistance dog, is the help the dog provides for your individual disability.

Lots of information on this site.

Daisy and Huckstable
    Loved by Kent and Mary

+ Reply to Thread