General Question about Leaving Pug Alone
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: General Question about Leaving Pug Alone

FunkMaster is offline Village Puppy

Question General Question about Leaving Pug Alone

Hello All,

So I have a general question really and my apologies if this is in the wrong section.

So I wanted to find out about how long one can realistically leave a pug at home alone and what sort of conditions should he be left in, so that he's most content.

I tend to work from home most of the time which is all good and well, so I am here to keep him company, play with him, feed him and generally just be there for him, but sometimes I may need to off to see a client or to the office and work from there ...

So I've read some different things, but nothing beats the first hand experience of those in the real world. Thing I've read are (none of which I've tried):

Keep him in his play pen, along with water/food/toys and a comfy place
    Keep him rather in a open area, closed off with baby gates or doors ... like the kitchen, but with the same things (food, water, toys)

Also read somewhere, which ever one chooses, it's a good idea to leave the radio on, so he hears some voices and doesn't feel alone ...

Any advice would be helpful.

P.S At the moment, my wife takes a day of leave while I head to the office so there is always someone around ....

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

I don't like to leave my boys any longer than 4 hours as a general rule. 5 at a pinch now they are adult, and if it is at a time I know they generally sleep (which is mornings and evenings. Afternoons are more active).

A play pen is fine, as is a room like the kitchen. Easy clean floor is a good idea if you have a pup who may not be able to hold (or if you are unavoidably held up and the pug has an accident). The main thing is to make sure that the room or pen they are in is safe. I would not leave them wearing a collar or a harness in case they tried to jump the pen or door and it got caught.

Mine stay in the pug room (which is the utility room) behind a babygate. It has a tiled floor. Their crates with beds inside are in that room with the doors left open. They have water but I do not leave food down although I tend to give them a small snack just as I am leaving. I don't leave them with toys; certainly not any toy they could break or swallow bits of. A kong or something would be fine, though. What you leave them with largely depends on your pug - Snifter would not destroy and eat toys but Toddy might. In any case both of mine sleep when I am out so don't need the toys imo.

I think mine would find the radio more disturbing than comforting as I don't tend to have a radio on all the time, nor do we watch much tv. So they are not used to that type of noise being on.

I think you need to start practising leaving your pug alone for short periods. If he is used to having someone around absolutely all the time he is likely to take it harder if you do have to leave him. Initially just pop out for 15 mins or so, maybe to post a letter or something? Then pop out for an hour and see how things go.

Our trainer advised us to "mentally leave" before physically leaving, so once he is in his room or pen just ignore him. Mine take it very ill if they are in their room and people fuss around them and pet them over the babygate with prolonged goodbyes. In fact sometimes they gruff as if to say "Just get on and leave, will you!". When you come back, calmly let him out. If he goes absolutely manic to see you then ignore him until he quiets down a bit. It can be a hard balance to strike because a puggy welcome is a wonderful thing.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

:-) I have worked most of the time that I've had my guys...and I live alone!!! They were alone most the time, 8 hrs....sometimes 10 if I had a meeting! They did/do very well with the long hours!!! I lock the younger guys in their crates.....and the old guy has the kitchen with baby gates. He has a bed and water. Unless they're sick....I come home to no messes and all is fine!!! I do make sure that I get up a few hours early so that they can play before being locked up...and I don't go out again once I'm home!

Have had to leave young pups this way too and they also did fine!!!! Took a while, but eventually I come home to a clean puppy pen and puppy or puppies!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

When Wally was a pup we had him just in the bathroom with pee pads, water, his bed, and a kong, but once he was reliably dry all day we expanded the range. Now we leave the boys gated together in the upstairs so they have the run of the master bedroom with their beds and the laundry pile, hall (nice sunbeams there) and bathroom with water. They sleep all day, so there is no problem leaving them for 8 hours. If we are held up we ask the neighbours to come in. We leave them with kongs to play with, and they do just fine.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

TNPUGMOMOF2 is offline Village Royalty

At the moment my husband is home all day, but that has not typically been the case. One of us usually tried to go home at lunch to let them out but on the off occassion we were not able to they were fine. It's been 8-12 hrs and no accidents. We try to not have that happen, but if it had to be they were fine. Also all mine are crated.
    Marci - pugmom to Lola, Bella, Hank & BIG brother Odin the English Mastiff.

MrsGreene is offline Village Senator

One small caveat--my Great Dane ended up getting a bad urinary tract infection, and the vet said that it was caused by him having to hold it so long. At the time, my first husband was dying of cancer, it was too cold to leave the big guy with no fur to speak of outside all day, and I was often gone for long stretches. He had no problems holding it, but having the urine in his bladder so long allowed bacteria overgrowth.

Also remember that dogs are pack animals, and don't do social isolation all that well. If they are the only animal, their mental health can suffer if they are alone too much.

I have had at least one dog most of my adult life. I've never had a real problem, other than the above, leaving my dogs home alone while I worked. At least past the puppy stage! I currently have three dogs--an elderly Great Dane, a middle aged chihuahua, and a young adult pug. Luckily for me, my husband works literally a block from home and can pop home if needed. Also the dogs have their Grandma (my mother-in-lwe) who lives a block away. She comes over every afternoon and hangs out with them for awhile. She and I walk the kids, as she calls them, around 7:00 am, my husband lets them out before he goes to work at 10, she comes around 3, and my husband is home by 6. It is pretty ideal, and not something everyone can manage. I feel very fortunate.

Sadly, the Great Dane is having some age related problems and having fecal incontinence from time to time. And the pug, if she eats more than we allow on her strict schedule (Grandma can't resist the charms of that puggy face and sometimes overdoes the treats), will have an accident if we are home late.

Our dogs have free roam of our home, with the exception of the computer room. They have a tendency to get tangled in my husband's myriad of computer cables and it makes him cranky when things get unplugged. Oh, and we gated off the guest bathroom so the cats could potty in peace, and so Bella won't help herself to the kitties' food. I think that they miss us when we are gone, but that they still have a pack so are more content than they might otherwise be.

I would think that a young pup might have difficulties with holding urine for more than a few hours at a time. Once she's able to stay dry all night, then physically she is able to hold her urine for the typical work shift. IMHO, it is better to have someone let the dog out after 4-5 hours if possible.

It is also good to remember that if a dog is used to having someone home all the time, it is a shock to the system to all the sudden be alone for long stretches. Several folks have discussed how to acclimate a dog to gradually become accustomed to being alone. There are some good references out there if your dog does have some difficulties adjusting.

Good luck! I would looooove to have a puppy, but can't put my poor ancient old man through that rambunctiousness!

Linette and the gang in Montana

Libby2 is offline Village Admiral

Great advice here but there was one that Bella said that I'd like to point out again. I feel very strongly that you should not leave a collar (especially) nor a harness on while you are away.

Bottoms Up!
    Spanky & Libby

FunkMaster is offline Village Puppy

Hey All,

So firstly, thank you very much to everyone for their advice, it's really been appreciated and I've taken it all on board and this is what I've been doing:

So we have a kitchen area that is tiled and I needed to leave him alone today, for 4 hours, so put him in there, a kong to chew, his bed, some water in a bowl and puppy pads ... and he seemed content. I went out and got back and he was still there, fast asleep and used his puppy pad for a little wee.

Then took him outside and he relieved himself and he seems just fine ... 4 to 5 hours is about the max I plan on being away from home/him ... so all is good for now!

Thanks again!

Smart Pugs is offline Village Senator

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

That's great! Soon when you come back there won't be any wee on the pad, even!
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

+ Reply to Thread