Question about travelling with my little boy
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about travelling with my little boy

Rockstarbrent is offline New to the Village

Default Question about travelling with my little boy

Hello, this is my first post. I hope I posted it in the right place, but Mods, feel free to move it if I didn't post it in the right place.

I have a few questions about flying with my little pup, Dexter. He is 6 months old, and full of energy. He is my first pug. I have had a few German Shorthair Pointers, but now that I have Dex, I don't think I can go back to a bigger dog :)

Here is all the pertinent information:

In December, I will have to fly back home to LA from DFW. I am flying on southwest. Their seat measurements are: 19"L x 14"W x 8.25"H.

Dexter is 16" long, 11.5" tall, and 8.25" wide.

At this point, I don't have a pet carrier.

Here are my questions:
    1. Since Dex is bigger taller than under the seat, what would you suggest I do? I would hate to give him Benedryl or some other sedative, but he may need to lay down the whole time? Since he is full of energy, this would also ensure that he is calm and the trip might be easier for him...I don't really want to do this, but I may not have a choice...

2. What carrier would you suggest? I know it would be tough to find one that will meet the 8.25" Tall underseat requirement, but if I can get a larger one and just sort of fold it down and push it under the seat. Any suggestions would be helpful

3. Has you flown on Southwest with your little boy or girl? In Dallas or LA maybe? How was the staff. Any info would be helpful.

I just want a safe, care-free trip back home to visit my parents and introduce them to my little boy!
    Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! I think there's a post on here about air travel. Make sure you check with your airlines for specific guidelines and consult your vet for advice. I haven't flown with my pug but I know for sure not to let them fly your pug in cargo.I read somewhere that some airlines will not fly pugs anymore because of deaths.There is an airline now just for pets. Good luck.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Rockstarbrent is offline New to the Village

Well thank you Tinker's mom, for the welcome :)

I already searched for the air travel threads. My question is bit more comprehensive than what was asked and answered on those threads.

Southwest does not fly pups as checked baggage. I wouldn't fly him as checked baggage anyway, unless I ABSOLUTELY had to. I have heard such horror stories. Dexter is flying in the cabin under the seat in front of me. As far as Petairways goes, they fly into LA, but no where in Texas. Sucks, because I would love to fly him on the seat next to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

I flew my two Doxies on SW from Tulsa to San Diego via Houston and salt Lake in a soft side carrier ~ Amazon.com: GoGo XX-Small Soft Crate 19.5"L x 13.5"W x 13.75"H Hunter Green: Kitchen & Dining

Removed the aluminum frame just prior to boarding and added a cutting board for a hard floor to carry them. Didn't take much scrunching to get them to fit. Put the frame back in during the lay overs, and added the luggage carrier to wheel them from gate to gate. I also had my laptop case with treats, puter, snacks and $$/id

They got a couple weeks to practice in the carrier in a box I built to mimic the underseat. A good loooong walk and play session before we flew, bolstered with a benedryl - they did terrific

I fed them ice chips through the top and sat in the window seat in the very back - the skin of the plane kept them cooler, and sitting in the back (Early Bird Boarding) let me settle in with no neighbors. Once we took off, they settled in for a nap.

The boys charmed all the staff, who were really good sports. If I can do it with the Dapple Duo - a pug puppy is no problem :-)
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

+ Reply to Thread