I would love to get a pug, but I work full time. Can I leave it alone at home?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: I would love to get a pug, but I work full time. Can I leave it alone at home?

Annalisa is offline New to the Village

Default I would love to get a pug, but I work full time. Can I leave it alone at home?

I absolutely love pugs and I have been thinking for a long time to get one. The only reason why I haven't done so is because both my partner and I work full-time, this means that we leave the house at 8 and don't come back until 6.

I would obviously get a walker to take the pug out at lunchtime as well as taking him out myself in the morning and evening but I just can't bear the thought of leaving it on its own all day.

Do you know whether if I got two it might help them feeling less lonely? Or is it just plain cruel leaving them on their own. The pug's welfare is my main concern.

Thanks for your help

Annalisa

cellophane is offline Village Governor

Playing devil's advocate, it won't be an ideal life for a pug, or any dog for that matter. Dogs are pack animals, and in the wild are with their pack 24/7, so being alone is "unnatural" to them. The only time you could interact with him would be a few hours in the evenings and two days of the weekend. He most likely will be bored at home for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. What if he happens to develop separation anxiety, which can be very very challenging to work with?

Switching from devil's advocate here, many millions of people, and I'm sure many pugvillagers, who have that type of schedule own a dog(s), and the dog(s) are healthy, happy, and well adjusted. So it's not like you would be cruel. How many millions of people have even busier schedules and don't have dog walkers to take their dogs out during the day, so they have to use puppy pads or just leave their dog outside? (Definitely not advocating that, but being realistic about the conditions most dogs are kept in). Imagine if the only way you could have a dog and not feel bad about leaving it all day would be to work from home, or be retired, or take it to work with you!

Some random thoughts:
    I have heard that dogs just sleep all day and therefore leaving them at home is fine because they won't miss you. Mines don't sleep all day, and sometimes dogs sleep because they are bored, not tired. A geriatric dog can sleep a lot, though.

Many people like to get two dogs to keep each other company, but I believe that if you don't have the time to give one dog the active interaction/attention/training/love it needs, you definitely won't have time for two dogs. What if they get into trouble during the day at home, fight (rare with pugs, but possible), or have potty or health issues? Twice the work, time, anxiety, etc.

Puppies are a LOT of work and need a LOT of attention and a LOT of training. If it were my case (and I know it isn't), I would not get a puppy, or two dogs. I would get one adult dog. That being said, many adult dogs come with health and behavior problems that need as much attention as a puppy, but I can tell you pug puppies are HYPERRRRRR! And possibly hard to potty train! And can get into major trouble if unsupervised!

Where would the dog or puppy stay during the day? Crate, exercise pen, gated off kitchen or bathroom, or run free in the house? I would feel bad about leaving a dog in a crate all day, but that is the fastest way to potty train a dog. Gated off room would allow more room and freedom, but be prepared for cleaning up potty accidents.... If left free roaming all day a puppy can def get into a lot of trouble, and mess.

If it were me, I'd look for a rescued (personal preference, too many homeless dogs out there), potty trained, more mature dog.
    That being said, I have 2 puppies (got due to circumstances out of my control) and love them and would never give them up!
    6 Beautiful Pugs and Annalisa like this.

Russ is offline Village Royalty
    Northern Virginia-Fear is the mind-killer.Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I think dogs are a lot like people in the sense that some need to be around their 'pack' more than others. A adult rescue may be the ticket because you can better judge the temperment and ability to be alone. Mz Tilly is fine being home all day having the run of the house. When I have guest dogs they stay with her, also 'alone' and have run of the house. and they are all fine. Of course the dogs are all about the same size.

Mz Tilly has her toys, her food and water (she grazes her food) and a somewhat active road that if she gets bored she goes and barks at people walking by.

We considered a 2nd companion, and still are, but so far Mz Tilly's 7 year ownership of all she surveys continues unchallenged.

Soooooo...consider a rescue of > 1yo and check their tolerance for their own space.
    Annalisa likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Cellophane's advice was great!

I would like to add as well that if you have a fenced yard (without a pool or pond), installing a doggie door allows the dog to relieve themselves when they need to and to enjoy the outdoors as well....however, if I were in your situation, I would probably look to get a cat or two and postpone a dog until I had more time to devote to them.

Thank you for considering the dog. So many people just impulsively buy a puppy, and don't consider these things, then wonder why the pup becomes a problem.

Take care,
    Lisa
    Annalisa likes this.
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Funaek is offline Village Governor

I work full time and have a 7 year old pug. While ideally she wouldn't be alone for such a long period of time, I gotta go to work and make money to pay for her fancy foods and all her expensive vet visits! But I also have a regular dog walker and give her lots of attention whenever I'm home in the mornings, evenings and weekends. I think it also depends on the dog like Russ said. I'd also recommend adopting an older dog and get a feel for the dog's personality and temperament. I got Sunny from a breeder who was retiring Sunny and looking to adopt her out. The days I've stayed home sick or otherwise honestly most of the time she sleeps. Long and interesting walks are good for entertaining your dog too. I've also contemplated getting a second pug since Sunny enjoys meeting other dogs so much, but I can't tell if having a buddy outweighs the con of having to share my lap and attention so I haven't made that jump yet.

I think as long as you are willing and able to devote a lot of time and attention to your pug when you are home then that's fine. But having a pug does affect my decisions on social stuff and vacations because I try to make sure I'm giving Sunny as much time and attention as I can. It's all about balance and to me having Sunny is totally worth it to me. Best of luck! And if you get a pug post pictures and tell us all about him/her!
    Annalisa likes this.
    Mother to my <3 pug, Sunny bunny.
    http://bahhumpug.blogspot.com/

Smart Pugs is offline Village Senator

Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    If it were me, I'd look for a rescued (personal preference, too many homeless dogs out there), potty trained, more mature dog.
    Pugs rarely come up rescue in the UK, we are always on the look out for pugs needing a home. Also, all the rescue centres I have ever dealt with in the UK will not let you have a dog if you are intending to leave it for more than four hours at a time. There are however many older pugs for sale in the UK (something that is so sad!).
    Annalisa likes this.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

It could work but I would not recommend getting two.

I don't think crate training is fair on a young pup if you are out for such a long time. I think you need to do something like the babygated kitchen set up and deal with the clean up job. If you find a breeder who will keep the pup until 12 weeks AND make a big effort on the potty training front so much the better. It's quite a big ask, though.

If you can find an older pug for sale that would probably be a better bet.
    Annalisa likes this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Cheryl7777 is offline Village Admiral

If you have done your research about pugs and are committed to the work, I would go for it. Maybe an older dog would be better, but there is nothing like having a pug if you understand what you are getting into. I think all the work involved is so worth having a pug.
    Annalisa likes this.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

I think the advice you have gotten is excellent and you have alot to think about. My opinion is to rescue and older pug, already house trained and more mellow.Is it an option for you to take the dog to work, some places do allow that.A pug would be perfect for that, they love people.Let us know what you decide.Good luck.
    Annalisa likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

I used to feel guilty when no one was home, max time was 7 hours, but we all had to work, but we all slept together and I knew that gave my pugs extra close time with us. When my pups were small I did run home at lunch and feed them because young pups need to eat lunch until around 6 months.
    Annalisa likes this.
    Susan, mom to Desi, Lucy and Finn

Honoring Sruffy,Bo, Maggie Mae, Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast