Are two pugs better than one? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Are two pugs better than one?

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Doug is a tad young, in my view, largely because I doubt his potty training is 100% yet and you would have to be prepared for some regression with a pup in the house. If by any chance you find an older girl that would be a good fit imo. (By older, I mean around age 3). A girl is probably better than a boy but if both are neutered I don't think 2 boys would be too much of a problem. I have 2 entire boys and whilst that has its challenges by and large all is good. I waited until Snifter was 3 before getting Toddy but if you are planning babies in the next few years I think it is best to get the pug situation cemented.

I think it is unlikely you would have a situation where they got on so badly that you would have to rehome one, although of course anything is possible. Snifter was not overjoyed with the addition of Toddy and it took many, many months before Snifter would play or snuggle. Even now, 3 years on, Snifter has to be in the mood. However they miss each other if one is away.

In my view you should be getting a new pug mainly for you, rather than Doug. Then you are not going to have quite the same level of stress if they don't initially become best pals.
    Libby2 likes this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

KismetPuggies is offline Village VP

Patrice... you might try putting your 8 month old in the crate WITH your 8 week old over night, and that should help tremendously...

Smart... I didn't know you got another pug! I am gone WAY too much these days.... I'll be searching for pics soon! :o)

Original Poster (sorry, I lost your name in my shuffle) I personally have five pugs.. Grace is 1, Jethro is 2.5, Abby is almost 3, Meisuu is almost 5 and Jonas is just over 7. Each one has absolutely unique personalities. My boys never ever fight.. my girls (especially Meisuu and Gracie) have to be watched all the time... they'll go from kissing and cleaning each other, to trying to kill each other in 2.5 seconds. So... all that being said.. I would definitely get a second pug.. I could NEVER deal with having only one. They keep each other company, they pug pile on my lap, at my feet, on the chair beside my desk (Yes, I had to put a chair by my desk so they could sit up high with me when I'm on the computer) They also teach each other both good and bad habits... it is much easier to teach my younger pugs how to "leave it" and "off the linoleum" and "sit.. stay" etc when my older pugs lead by example. It is most definitely NOT twice the work having an extra pug around.. it just is what it is.

Personally, because you have a male already I would either get another male (if you have them neutered) or I would get a female if you keep your males intact as long as you spay your females. I do not recommend two females because while you PROBABLY would not have an issue, females do sometimes tend to get cranky with other girls. If you have marking issues with two males (which I doubt because you are getting them so young) simply sew up a belly band and put them on both males.

As much as I applaud your desire to rescue an older dog, you may want to think of a young pug who does not have all those issues rescue pugs have. If your current dog was older, I would not suggest this way.. but with a puppy, I suggest getting another puppy.. perhaps a slightly older puppy that someone has not been able to sell yet, or that someone has purchased then realized puppies are a lot of work LOL .... I always give advice on how to potty train pug puppies, and out of every litter, I get at least one or two people who tell me that potty training doesn't work.... 100% of the time, it's because they are not following my advice because it's more work than they anticipated and they just want a cute puppy who wants to play with them. I have brought more than one of my pups home for just that reason, and re-homed them with a different family. You may find that scenario in the UK?

Best of luck to you! Please keep everyone posted :o)
    Kayte and Crew

Kismet Kennels, Exclusively Pugs

Mom to Lucy is offline Village Admiral

I would have to say yes, they are worth it. Even better when one is a rescue, as it's a life saved.
    Christine Honorary Pug Parent. Wrangler of Bunny the crazy EP and Maverick the black Labrador. Mom to one human child, wife to a wonderful hubby. Counting the days to retirement....
    Forever missing our Bugsy Francis - 04/13/05 - 05/24/17 and Lucy Loo - 10/13/2005 - 12/27/2020.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

pugtown is offline Village Admiral

We adopted a playmate for our first pug at 6 to 8 months old because he was such a ball of energy and wanted to play all the time. It worked out great and now we've adopted 2 more and foster!!

Funaek is offline Village Governor

I am constantly debating whether to get a second pug too! A lot of the pug pile photos and stories of pugs bonding has seriously tempted me recently. I don't think I could handle a puppy but I'm going to keep an eye out for compatible adult pugs starting next year...
    Mother to my <3 pug, Sunny bunny.
    http://bahhumpug.blogspot.com/

pugtown is offline Village Admiral

Being a foster home, I must say that my favorite age is 5 years and up. I adopted a 5 yr old male and an 8 yr old female. They are perfect. No "issues" as an earlier poster wrote. Acclimated quickly - like they've lived here for years. And just made themselves at home. They are such social animals and require companionship - just an opinion. Not all pugs up for adoption have issues. The majority had people that had the issues!

Libby2 is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by KismetPuggies View Post
    Patrice... you might try putting your 8 month old in the crate WITH your 8 week old over night, and that should help tremendously...

)
    Just throwing in my two cents here, and I'm not an expert, nor do I own more than one pug. BUT....I'd never consider the above. This is too dangerous a situation imo. And, each could have their own crate, side by side perhaps. But never together. I don't think I'm alone in advising this.

That being said, I'm reading intently because all the questions you are asking, are ones I've been asking myself. (With the exception of having kids part! Eeeek! Within ten years, I might have grandkids.) So right now, Spanky is my baby and is more than filling my heart and home. Thing is, I've often contemplated another. And like you, I'm at home. Also, I'm pretty nailed down at home since Spanky has to be on medication. Now I'm thinking, what's one more? But Spanky is number one, and I totally get your concerns.

One thing to consider is a post already mentioned. A new puppy will pick up on the eldest's bad habits. Good habits too I suppose. But I read that they tend to look at the other dog if you're not going to intently be training. I was also told that three years was a good space of time between the two, but I question that a little because I've seen plenty of puggies close in age that adore each other and the situation works out well. In hindsight, if I were to get another, I probably should have done it when he was one or two. At one, the honeymoon phase is over and you really know what you're in for for many years to come. Also, it gives #1 puppy time to be fully trained.

Again, just my opinion from which I have no experience with! (like that helps - lol!)

Bottoms Up!
    Spanky & Libby

Julesrb is offline Village Puppy

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all the helpul advice. Its really helped me to consider various different situations. Doug isn't far off 100% house trained - we probably only have an accident once a month and as I've been at home most of the time I think its been easy to get him into a schedule. I think we need to work a bit more on the obedience as he is still very excitable in certain situations, but I think a lot of this is still the puppy in him.

After xmas we'll think again. I think potty training when the weather is nicer is also easier as with Doug it was June til c. Sept and so I didn't mind hanging around outside as much.

I'd still love another, and I think Doug would love the company so I can't see him being overly displaced or put out, maybe a bit. As someone else says, the photos of the piles of pugs and the double pug cuddles on this forum is certainly nudging me in the direction.

I think the final thing I'd have to reconcile is that at the moment we have family who are happy to look after Doug if we go away for a night or two, or on holiday. But I can't expect them to look after two dogs necessarily, so they would have to go to the dog sitter instead. Or we have to take holidays in this country - which isn't always fantastic in the UK. I've already waved goodbye to lie-ins, can i also wave goodbye to long holidays abroad? hmm.

Thanks tho - all really great advice.

sugarskullz is offline Village Adornista & SugarSkull Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Libby2 View Post
    Just throwing in my two cents here, and I'm not an expert, nor do I own more than one pug. BUT....I'd never consider the above. This is too dangerous a situation imo. And, each could have their own crate, side by side perhaps. But never together. I don't think I'm alone in advising this.

That being said, I'm reading intently because all the questions you are asking, are ones I've been asking myself. (With the exception of having kids part! Eeeek! Within ten years, I might have grandkids.) So right now, Spanky is my baby and is more than filling my heart and home. Thing is, I've often contemplated another. And like you, I'm at home. Also, I'm pretty nailed down at home since Spanky has to be on medication. Now I'm thinking, what's one more? But Spanky is number one, and I totally get your concerns.

One thing to consider is a post already mentioned. A new puppy will pick up on the eldest's bad habits. Good habits too I suppose. But I read that they tend to look at the other dog if you're not going to intently be training. I was also told that three years was a good space of time between the two, but I question that a little because I've seen plenty of puggies close in age that adore each other and the situation works out well. In hindsight, if I were to get another, I probably should have done it when he was one or two. At one, the honeymoon phase is over and you really know what you're in for for many years to come. Also, it gives #1 puppy time to be fully trained.

Again, just my opinion from which I have no experience with! (like that helps - lol!)
    I am in agreement wqith you about putting them in the same crate. After seeing how she likes to roughhouse incessantly with him, we feel she might suffocate the poor little guy at worse, or hurt him badly, at least.
    That and if he decided to mess in the crate, poor Lola would be stuck in there with it and that isn't fair to her as she is potty trained.
    **Patrice - owned by Miss Lola Falana**

kcaudle is offline Village Mayor

We have three pugs now..And to be honest its pretty awesome!! Crate training avery is not going as smoothly as the other two but I could not imagine just having one pug. They just love the company of each other and the house would be too quiet!! So I say if your up for the work of a new puppy then go for it..On the question of a boy or girl..IMOO Boys are more easy going so I would suggest a boy Addie is a doll but she is WAY more work and even now at a year she is still quite wild..Avery is already showing the personality of being laid back and fun loving..However I love all my kids... ;)
    Smart Pugs likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast