Are two pugs better than one?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Are two pugs better than one?

Julesrb is offline Village Puppy

Default Are two pugs better than one?

Hello,

I've had Douglas for several months now, he's getting on for 8 months and he is a ball of fun and I love him more than I ever dreamt I could. Whenever we are out Doug is desperate to play with other dogs. He whines as he's not allowed off the lead to play with them and whenever my parents dog is here he follows him round like a mad thing. As much as he is a people dog, he obviously LOVES other dogs too and wants to play, and doesn't understand why they won't play.

Therefore, I'm considering getting another pug but have some concerns as its such an undertaking. Would I be better to wait until he's a bit older or is it better to get another when he's still young and will accept it more easily? Would I be better getting an older or younger, male or female - again, I know you can't generalise but some pointers would be useful. Ideally, I'd love to rescue but pugs in the UK never come up, but I would consider paying for an older pug that was needing to be re-homed? Are two pugs double the work of one pug?

Also - what would I do if we did get another, and then they didn't get on? If I end up loving the new pug as much as I love Douggie, it would break my heart to have to give the new one away.

We can afford it financially, and I have the time as I work from home a lot so lots of walkies, company etc in the day and at night.

Finally, although it isn't on the agenda in the very near future, my husband and I would like to have kids at some point. Am I mad thinking about taking on 2 pugs as well as having babies in the next few years? Anyone who has experience, I'd gratefully love some advice.

It just breaks my heart when I see how desparately Douggie wants to play with the other dogs and how much fun he has with them, but I'm too nervous to let him off the lead to play in case they turn on him (has happened once before), or he runs off.

Sorry about the ramble, I just feel like I need to get as much information as possible before I make any decisions.
    babyroni likes this.

sugarskullz is offline Village Adornista & SugarSkull Junkie

I have Lola (8 months old) and just brought Ozzy home (8 weeks old) yesterday.
    HORRIBLE night. The little guy screamed for 3-1/2 hrs straight once the TV turned off for the night and he was put in his crate. Moved him from one room to another and after the 3-1/2 hrs (about 3am), I finally plucked the poor little guy out of his crate and slept on the couch with him in the crook of my arm until 6:15am. Not a sound out of him once I held him.
    I'm truly hoping tonight will fare way better, but not holding my breath.
    Lola was a dream to crate train, so was really hoping for the same with Ozzy. I hope it doesn't take to long. I'm too old for sleepless nights! LOL
    babyroni likes this.
    **Patrice - owned by Miss Lola Falana**

Smart Pugs is offline Village Senator

We have three pugs and four chihuahuas! We tend to keep the chihuahuas separate from the pugs unless supervised. The three pugs (1 year, 8 months and 3 months) get on very well. When Smartie was an 'only' pug it took her a while to accept the first new puppy but by the time Audrey arrived there were no problems. We still sometimes give Smartie some time on her own as the puppies can be a bit over-whleming! They play together and sleep together and generally have a lot of fun. In fact they settle much better at night when they are altogether. Dogs do love to live in a pack! We too would love a rescue, but as you say, they don't come up in the UK. I'm sure you wouldn't have any problem introducing a puppy. Our girls are neutered and we intend to neuter Noah when he is older. I'm sure others on the forum will be able to comment on pugs and children - but I would imagine if you do want another pug it would be good to have a puppy now - rather than a puppy and a baby (very hard work!). Good luck.
    babyroni likes this.

Smartie, Audrey, Noah
    and Chihuahua siblings: Kirby, Shadow, Zeta and Fizzy Dave

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

You sound like a vey sensible person, I think you could handle a puppy fine. You have the time and you are home based, a big plus! Children when you are ready will just add to your joy! I would love to have another pug but I can't afford it. Let us know what you decide.
    babyroni likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

I got Toby when Bella was about two and have not regretted it. Having two is twice the fun and they have bonded very nicely together. One thing to consider, is how well is Douglas trained right now. If you wait a bit longer, that will give you more time to work on obedience and potty training ect. Makes it easier when one is already trained fairly well in those areas, before bringing another dog into the house. If you already have your heart set on it, well then go for it:)
    Libby2 and babyroni like this.

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

Sugar - I'm sure it will get better, it can only improve after the first night, can't it? My Doug was a total dream at sleeping, but none of them are the same are they?

Smart - I did notice you had three pugs and am somewhat jealous, especially of your new little apricot boy. he's a darling!

I have also read that girl pugs are a bit Diva-ish, and to be honest I love my little boy. Would getting a little boy puppy be a problem, or should I be thinking about girls?

Potentially two pugs and kids - I must need my head read, but I see lots of others on this site with 2, 3, 4, etc pugs so I can't be that mad!
    babyroni likes this.

Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker

I personally think most pugs get along pretty good. both of mine are very socialable and love everyone and everything... they sleep together and so on. Zeus had as a puppy and added an abused Pug Max at 6months actually he is brother. also had another pug that i ended up rehoming to a great family. she would not suit being in this place.
    they are totally bonded the pugs.

I also have two bulldogs and they are not bonded at all like the pugs........
    you will see on a number of the pics on here..the PUG PILE..they just seem to hurdle out together
    never seen an arguement or anything out of the 2 of mine

both my pugs love kids and I have no kids anymore here..........

you will be fine.with a puppy I am sure...
    babyroni likes this.
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker

you just posted at the same time as me..lol
    yes the females are Diva's big time
    I say go with another boy and neuter them early..the males are so much more relaxed...lol big time
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

Pat - I LOVE the pug pile, but I could only push my husband so far. That's what I thought about girls. Go BOYS!

who am I kidding that its Doug that wants a new puppy - its totally me, lets be honest.
    babyroni likes this.

MrsGreene is offline Village Senator

We've got a female, Izabella, and she is not in the least diva-ish. She was not spayed when we adopted her, and she had been used as a breeder and then dumped out on the streets to fend for herself. We have had her spayed, she is around 1-2 years of age best guess.

She is the roughest, toughest of our three dogs, never whines about anything (except if I take too long making her breakfast!) and she is a complete snuggle bug. She is simply the sweetest little thing! So I would not completely rule out a girl pug.

I have never had two pugs, but from what I have always experienced, an opposite gender pair works best in most cases. I have had successful pairings of all genders--m/m, f/f, m/f. The only difficulty I have every had with squabbling, etc, were littermates. They tend to have difficulties figuring out who's the boss since they are the same age and size!

As far as pugs and kids, my kids are all grown and gone, but our Izabella LOVES kids. I take her to the library and she is always riveted to the kids.

THe best piece of advice I have seen thus far on this thread, make sure your Douglass is well trained before adding another pup to the mix. Dogs do tend to be happiest in packs, whether it is a pack of people or a pack of dogs. If he has to be alone much, it is great to have another dog in the home.

edited to add: ALL of my dogs have always been spayed/neutered. It does make a difference to their ability to get along. Unaltered females tend to be the bossiest in my experience. Those with unaltered animals can answer better than I can, though, as my unaltered animals have generally been fixed quickly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast