Pug Being Left Alone - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Pug Being Left Alone

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

It is hard because whilst I agree with much of what Hellas has said on the topic of leaving dogs alone, my personal view is that it is necessary to train them to tolerate being alone. You don't know what life will throw at you and if the dog suddenly has to spend time alone when normally it never does, it will be much more traumatic than if the dog is used to some periods of solitude. It is also, in my view, necessary to train dogs to tolerate being confined when you are in the house, which they hate even more than being left totally alone. Naturally they want to be part of the action. Unfortunately, however, it is not always safe for them to be part of the action. For example you may have building work going on, you may be going in and out to pack the car up to go on vacation etc. You don't want any risk of them running out of the door or eating the building supplies or whatever, but equally you don't want a dog screaming and going mad in its crate or behind the babygate. Even a dog that has been trained not to run out of an open door can relapse if something unusual is going on.

I completely agree that a dog needs companionship and ideally that will be for most of the day. I did not get a dog until I was able to work from home. Also, I now have two dogs and for many that is a good solution. However, mine have still been trained to have periods of time when they are completely alone; I generally walk them separately and therefore one gets left behind in the house on a pretty much daily basis. I think this may have helped them deal with the illnesses we suffered last year when one and then the other had to be hospitalised. They missed one another but not to any ridiculous extent.

In terms of the original question, I wouldnot generally leave a puppy alone for more than an hour until it reaches 3 months. At about 6 months I'd leave for 3 hours and now I will not leave them for more than 4 hours.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Snifter View Post
    It is hard because whilst I agree with much of what Hellas has said on the topic of leaving dogs alone, my personal view is that it is necessary to train them to tolerate being alone. You don't know what life will throw at you and if the dog suddenly has to spend time alone when normally it never does, it will be much more traumatic than if the dog is used to some periods of solitude. It is also, in my view, necessary to train dogs to tolerate being confined when you are in the house, which they hate even more than being left totally alone. Naturally they want to be part of the action. Unfortunately, however, it is not always safe for them to be part of the action. For example you may have building work going on, you may be going in and out to pack the car up to go on vacation etc. You don't want any risk of them running out of the door or eating the building supplies or whatever, but equally you don't want a dog screaming and going mad in its crate or behind the babygate. Even a dog that has been trained not to run out of an open door can relapse if something unusual is going on.

I completely agree that a dog needs companionship and ideally that will be for most of the day. I did not get a dog until I was able to work from home. Also, I now have two dogs and for many that is a good solution. However, mine have still been trained to have periods of time when they are completely alone; I generally walk them separately and therefore one gets left behind in the house on a pretty much daily basis. I think this may have helped them deal with the illnesses we suffered last year when one and then the other had to be hospitalised. They missed one another but not to any ridiculous extent.

In terms of the original question, I wouldnot generally leave a puppy alone for more than an hour until it reaches 3 months. At about 6 months I'd leave for 3 hours and now I will not leave them for more than 4 hours.
    Totally agree with this. I also didn't get a dog before I could work from home, but ours have been trained to be alone when they have to. We do leave them a few times a week, mostly just for an hour or so, but sometimes for up to 3 hours. We don't have to crate or gate them. They just go to sleep when we go and wake up when we come home. I think they take it so calmly because they know that we won't be gone for long.
    Wally 'n' Leto likes this.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

**So in my opinion, the ambition of any dog owner should be that the dog has a human companion for most of the day. **

Well ... we are gonna agree to vehemently disagree on this one. The likelihood of hiring a Nanny for the DD & Minions is below nil.
    I've had dogs since I first drew breath ... but I have never, ever had a single dog. That I think *is* unhealthy - since they are pack animals.
    Because I work (to supply kibble, and toys, and duck jerky) in a profession that is impossible to do from home (the police frown hard on selling drugs from the kitchen) does not make me an unfit or cruel or neglectful or uncaring dog guardian.
    The big dogs stay out in the yard to bark at the birds and the barn cats ... the doxies have large crates and a window to watch the day go by. They have blankies to shred, toys to chew, their cats to talk to, and each other to annoy. Lots of thought and care goes into their living arrangements while I am gone. They do not and will not stay outside because there are large birds of prey in the area. Not sure a hawk can pick up an adult dachshund for lunch ... but I am not about to risk the vet bills or potential loss of life to find out.
    Given the tail wags and bright eyes and full body hugs I get when I get home, I don't think I have a single unhappy or ill adjusted canine in my pack ... even with all the hours that I must be negligent and leave them alone with each other.
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

I am like Anne, we do the best for the dogs because we have to be at work, and that's just the way it has to be. We got Leto specifically so Wally would not be alone during the day, and the 2 of them spend the day snuggling and sleeping and playing. Most days they are not alone for more the 6 hours; if they have to be alone for more than 8 we phone a neighbour to come and take them out and play a bit. We gate them upstairs where Wally cannot spend the day looking out the window barking at passersby (his favourite hobby). They have the run of 3 bedrooms, the hall and the bathroom. There is nothing much up there that they can damage, they have their soft toys and some low value chewies (the ones they don't fight over) to keep them occupied, a bathmat or pee pad for accidents (never happens) and a water dish. When we get home they stagger out of the bedroom yawning and stretching before they start dancing and wagging. They are overjoyed to see us, but they have obviously not been pining.

Now that I am home for the pregnancy, they are very happy to have me here for extra play time and snuggles, but I must say that they do not seek out my companionship for a lot of the time. They just sleep. If they can't sleep on top of me, they find their beds.
    MushusMommy likes this.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Pugs-R-MandyBait View Post
    **So in my opinion, the ambition of any dog owner should be that the dog has a human companion for most of the day. **

Well ... we are gonna agree to vehemently disagree on this one. The likelihood of hiring a Nanny for the DD & Minions is below nil.
    I've had dogs since I first drew breath ... but I have never, ever had a single dog. That I think *is* unhealthy - since they are pack animals.
    Because I work (to supply kibble, and toys, and duck jerky) in a profession that is impossible to do from home (the police frown hard on selling drugs from the kitchen) does not make me an unfit or cruel or neglectful or uncaring dog guardian.
    The big dogs stay out in the yard to bark at the birds and the barn cats ... the doxies have large crates and a window to watch the day go by. They have blankies to shred, toys to chew, their cats to talk to, and each other to annoy. Lots of thought and care goes into their living arrangements while I am gone. They do not and will not stay outside because there are large birds of prey in the area. Not sure a hawk can pick up an adult dachshund for lunch ... but I am not about to risk the vet bills or potential loss of life to find out.
    Given the tail wags and bright eyes and full body hugs I get when I get home, I don't think I have a single unhappy or ill adjusted canine in my pack ... even with all the hours that I must be negligent and leave them alone with each other.
    I don't recall saying that leaving a dog alone makes one a cruel or negligent dog owner. If that is how it came across, I apologise because that was not what I meant. What I did mean was that it is preferable if the dogs have a human companion for most of the day. I do stand by that. Well adjusted dogs with canine company can usually cope quite well with being alone, but if at all possible, I think it's better to get them in doggie daycare or similar. By 'ambition' I mean that's something to aim for. I understand that it's not possible for everyone.

I have noticed that problems with indoor peeing, incessant barking and destructiveness seem to be more common in dogs who are left home alone for many hours a day. I can only assume that it is often a sign that the dog isn't thrilled with the situation.
    Last edited by Hellas; 01-30-2012 at 09:29 AM.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

Daviddoc is offline New to the Village

Default Pub being left alone....

My wife and I planned for our Pug - Lord Baltimore II for over a year and it wasn't made possible until the birth of our Pub but more importantly my retirement. Our Pug is now a week past 8 moa and is tall as his mother is but active as his father is. As I am here with him most of the day he is alone only when I run an errand or have a med appt but generally no more than 2 or 3 hours. For that time we place him in our first fl br along with his bed and food and water, a pee pad, and a collapsible gate and a classical music station always playing. He has always done well with this but sometimes will let us (esp us) seldom me alone, know if we were gone too long by somewhere in the house where we are at and can see his display of simply lifting a leg and peeing. During a trip my wife made to San Antonio for a week and I accompanied her we did place him in a local kennel highly rec. by our vet and it was excellent. He handled the experiernce generally well but was glad to get home and to be with us in his own bed and environment. But as the vet said you can't always take him with you nor always be with him. But in the discussion I would be more concerned about the dog being left alone for a longer period of time - and this is my profession as a psychologist at hand. Carol, my wife and I both agreed that it would not be fair nor appropriate to leave him alone during the day as the readers know Pugs are people oriented and during the day when cooking or cleaning he needs to brush up against me or to lick me in passing so to speak. Our breeder strongly questioned what our status would be in time that he might be left alone each day. It would not be surprising to see a bit if not a sig amount of depression in a Pug left alone 6 - 10 hours each day. But the group knows best their individual hx. I would be honest in saying also that our Pug is enjoyable to be around and thus it works both ways. They are a beautiful dog all around and in ways a reflection of their owners!

Pumper is offline Village Puppy

Thanks so much everyone! 90% of the time the Pug wouldn't be left alone for over 2 or maybe 3 hours (rarely), so I'm glad to know that a Pug can tolerate this. Thanks again!

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Pumper, you have all my respect for asking these questions up front. You'll make a great pug parent!!
    Hellas likes this.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Storm is offline Village Puppy

My human mommy and daddy work from home so I have all day to spend with them but I only get sporadic bits of attention cause they are both typing and staring at screens (that's how I learned to do this). But they do go out and leave me alone at least every other day, sometimes more often. I go to sleep on my big sister (she's old and she has just started letting me sleep on her recently cause she thinks I am too wild - I am almost one now though, so now I am super calm - umm, compared to before!).

When my people get home ... oh boy! oh boy! I get to outside immediately and then run around or snuggle in on the couch and then go to bed for the night and all is good.

I don't like to be left alone. I want to go to grandma's (where my other blood relatives and I can run around and be WILD, I mean, where we can play). But I am sometimes alone for up to 6 hours or so. I have a pad on the floor I can use for emergencies (I used to use it all the time but I am a big girl now - almost 1!!) and I have food and water and toys and bones and balls and toys and a big sister (a mutt, can you imagine!) and a weird kinda brother (he is furry but he jumps up to all these high places and he smells funny and poops in a box!).
    tall grass pugs likes this.
    Storm!

Pumper is offline Village Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by Wally 'n' Leto View Post
    Pumper, you have all my respect for asking these questions up front. You'll make a great pug parent!!

Thank you so much!
    Wally 'n' Leto likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast