Pug Being Left Alone
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Pug Being Left Alone

Pumper is offline Village Puppy

Default Pug Being Left Alone

Hi Everyone,

As you may already know, I am thinking about adopting a Pug. I have been doing a lot of research, and there is a lot of controversy online about how long a Pug can be left alone for. I know obviously an adult can be left alone longer than a puppy. So what do you guys think? How long can a puppy be left alone VS an adult?

Thank so much! :)

pugzrule is offline Village Mayor

Sad to say, but my two pugs can never be left alone and they are almost two years old. :-(
    Mommy to Ana and Aubrey
    Visit my website:
    http://pugtales.weebly.com
    (help for new pug owners!)

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

depends ... is the puppy crated or just gated to a Safe Zone. Crated, their little bladders can only safely go about an hour per month of age - plus or minus. Gated in a Safe Area, with potty pads, toys (maybe a radio playing), and water - and an owner willing to clean and sanitize the Zone of Destruction, they are okay for a workday. It is my experience that dogs really have no concept of time ... other than having to eat and potty. My dogs are as happy to see me after an hour as they are if I travel for a week. They are darn good at entertaining themselves if I give them the tools.
    My four Doxies are in crates 2x2 for the entire of my work day. Some days that is 9 hours, sometimes a few more. I am not thrilled they are cooped up so long, but better they might be a tad bored and be safe than to be outside in their pens and have a hawk try to pick them up. They eat in the evening, and get morning and evening out time (all day on the weekends) to play and be with me.
    So far, this is working for us. I am sure they would love to have a doggy day care day, or a dog walker ... but right now, that is simply not in the cards. Not in the area we live in and not in the budget. They all remain happy and healthy and well adjusted and fully capable of making me horridly guilty when I leave.
    Given my schedule, there is no way i would ever bring a puppy into our lives. I know how unfair it would be to them in their development into good canine citizens. I would hesitate even to foster at this point ... although I must admit to failing miserably at fostering.
    Tinker's mom and taffiecandy like this.
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

newpugmomma is offline Village Governor

My pug is almost two and he can be left by himself. In fact, he has to...especially if he enjoys his nylabones and being fed daily! I have to commute so he is by himself from 7:15 to 4:30. He stays in his crate and while I would love for him to be able to stay out, I don't want him on my furniture and he already has torn up a section of my blinds from when he was allowed to stay out. I honestly feel he feels safer in his crate. If I go outside to my car while he is out...he is pacing and crying. However, when I leave in the morning, he is fine in his crate. I try to keep him out of the crate as much as possible over the weekend.

People do have to work. It isn't ideal to have to leave him home alone...but what can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by pugzrule View Post
    Sad to say, but my two pugs can never be left alone and they are almost two years old. :-(
    Is it that they can't be left alone OR you don't want to leave them alone? I find that interesting that they can't be left by themselves at two. Is someone there all the time? How does that work? I hope I am not coming across as rude...not my intention at all! Just curious. :)

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I always had pups and grown dogs when I worked! My young pups have room for a wee wee pad...and a bed........and eventually, they hold all day!

I do crate dogs til they're done with teething....and then have gated in the kitchen. I'm afraid that Ben will jump gates....so I still crate!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Quote Originally Posted by shaynapug View Post
    I always had pups and grown dogs when I worked! My young pups have room for a wee wee pad...and a bed........and eventually, they hold all day!

I do crate dogs til they're done with teething....and then have gated in the kitchen. I'm afraid that Ben will jump gates....so I still crate!
    That is why I have gone back to crating Rebbie bc he will not stay in the kitchen. I am trying to save up some money to buy one of those extra tall gates. While they are not too expensive, I have too many other obligations to tend to before getting that.

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Wally was lone for a work day gated in the bathroom (toilet lid closed) from about 6 months, with pee pads. He was dry at about a year. We started trusting them out of the bathroom for short stretches at about 18 months.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

lotusseeds is offline Village VP

Dumpling started staying on alone during the day at about 12 mos. Because we traveled with her previous to my employment, she grew to lover her crate as a quiet place to chill. At first we let her have free range of the kitchen when I went back to work, but sadly she loves to eat poo and would make a terrible mess of things if left un crated. She is crated from about 8 am to 2pm each day. She does not mess in her crate at all. She has a comfly cat bed in her crate, a nylabone, a kong with treats in it, plenty of water and a good run/potty before she goes in when I leave for the day. She sleeps off most of the day and comes to life playing and getting loved on when the kids and hubs get home. Honestly when I was a stay at home mom to kids and her, she slept off most of the day until the fun kids got home anyway.
    Pam, pugmom to Dumpling and human mother to 3

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

First of all, it is a myth that dogs are unaware of the passage of time. A recent study has shown this. So there is absolutely a difference between leaving a dog for 1 hour or for 4 hours and not just because of the need to pee.

I think this is actually a tough question becaue it raises the issue of what is possible versus what is ideal.

Ideally, dogs should be alone as little as possible. They are pack animals and want to be with their humans. Loneliness is unnatural for them, which is why it has to be taught. For me, it's not just about how much loneliness the dog can take without peeing indoors or getting destructive, it's about what quality of life is offered to the dog. So in my opinion, the ambition of any dog owner should be that the dog has a human companion for most of the day.

However, sometimes life takes unexpected twists and you have to deal as best you can. That can mean that you have to leave the dog alone during the day. Of course, you alson have to be able to run errands, go out to dinner once in a while etc. Personally, I think that all adult dogs deserve at least a potty break every 6 hours. Puppies need to relieve themselves much more often. So, I wouldn't leave an adult dog alone for more than 6 hours at a time. I can't give a general response for puppies, as it depends on the age and personality of the puppy and how well you have trained it to be alone.
    daveb123 likes this.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast