Concerned about how long can a Pug puppy stay alone at home? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Concerned about how long can a Pug puppy stay alone at home?

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

10 hours straight is too long even for an adult dog IMO. A puppy is a child and you don't just leave a child for hours on end. It's cruel. A puppy needs a gentle transition from its birth home and should not be left alone at all for a week or so. Then, you start training the pup to be alone. This is done gradually. If not done properly, you may end up with a dog with separation anxiety. I would not recommend anybody to get a puppy unless they work from home or is able to organize a dog sitter. I'm sorry if I'm stepping on toes here but just the thought of a tiny puppy all alone in a crate for several hours breaks my heart.

The practical problems are obvious. Small puppies need to potty nearly once an hour and they need to eat 3 times a day. I don't see how you could possibly house train a puppy properly with that schedule. Having someone come in at lunch time is far from enough.
    Last edited by Hellas; 03-16-2012 at 07:01 PM.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

freak is offline Village Royalty

Our pups are home for 9 hours everyday during the week without issue. I would love to stay home with them or take them to work with me but that's not an option. They have a wonderful home with us and the fact is most of have to work and I do not trust anyone other than my son and mother in law to watch them and they both work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12