Concerned about how long can a Pug puppy stay alone at home?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Concerned about how long can a Pug puppy stay alone at home?

Anarkoon is offline New to the Village

Question Concerned about how long can a Pug puppy stay alone at home?

I'm interested in getting a pug puppy, and I'm doing a lot of research so I can be prepared. The only thing which is a major problem for me is the time period this puppy will be home alone.

I work day in day out, and my boyfriend works normal week hours 8 to 5. So basically the puppy will be on his own for at least 10 hours when I will be working, since my boyfriend has an hour trip to go to work and an hour to come back home. I was thinking of taking some leave time from work when I get the pup, to be able to stay with him as much as possible to potty train him etc.

I would like some advices, opinions or any helpful information you can give me please. I really want to make this happen but I'm very concerned about this time issue :(

Lola's Mum is offline Village Governor

Yeah it could be hard...I had a similar challenge (except I'm single) - I did have to rework my schedule a bit, and hired a dog walker for a mid-day walk/feeding. Also keep in mind that your pup will need to be fed 3 times a day for probably 5 - 6 months...

Maybe look into getting a rescue that is an adult...sometimes I wish I'd done that! I tried that route for a few months but never found the right pup - eventually gave up and went the puppy-route.
    I'm Caryn, from Charlotte, NC...

My pug, Lola, is 7 months old :) Follow Lola on Facebook!

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Frankly I think you are asking too much of a pup to stay alone that long.

If you can get somebody to visit the pup daily for at least an hour then it might be OK, but potty training will be very, very slow and you will have to be very patient.

I think you are far better off giving a home to an adult dog, preferably one that is used to spending some time alone.

Are you going to have time to give your puppy adequate exercise and walks if you are out all day every day?
    freak likes this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Anarkoon is offline New to the Village

I won't be out every day, I work one day yes and one no, so on my day off I will be with the pup all day long. Basically the pup will have 10 hrs alone for 2 or 3 days a week. In those days I will take him out in the morning for a short walk and in the evening for a longer one. I will take in consideration adopting, but I really would like a pug puppy. Someone said that if you leave a piece of unwashed clothing which you wear with the pup he will still feel your presence and feel less lonely, wondering if it works...

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Clothing items are good but do not compensate for company. Pugs were bred to be companion dogs and whilst they can be trained to tolerate being alone this is not a natural state (for any dog) and it will depend on the temperament of the pug as to how well it deals with this.

Generally pups ought to be fed 3 times a day and you need a consistent feeding schedule, so that is going to be a problem on your work days unless you can get someone to call in to feed and potty your pup.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Lola's Mum is offline Village Governor

I think if you have someone come for an hour in the middle of the day to feed/walk, you would probably be okay...

But like I said earlier - I also had my heart set on a puppy...did that, and now I can see how getting a 1-3 year old dog would have been pretty great also...lol ;-) Not that I regret getting my puppy - but puppies are A LOT of work and I've basically turned my life upside down for this little pup!
    I'm Caryn, from Charlotte, NC...

My pug, Lola, is 7 months old :) Follow Lola on Facebook!

AMC7181 is offline Village Governor

Especially with a puppy, you'll need someone to stop by mid-day for feeding and a potty break. My husband and I have a schedule that's almost identical to what you and your boyfriend have, and we've always had someone stop by mid-day. Think about how you'd feel if you had to wait 10 hours for a potty break...not good!

controlfreak is offline Village Puppy

I got dexter for the very reason that his owners got jobs. He was left in a 42" crate from 8-5. Also if you take some time off to spend with the pup and then 2-3 weeks later go back to work and your normal routine then the pup won't understand the loss in your company. Potty training even the best of pigs takes months due the small size of their bladders too. I never had a pug pup so I dunno what they are like.

freak is offline Village Royalty

[QUOTE=Snifter;1536313]Frankly I think you are asking too much of a pup to stay alone that long.

If you can get somebody to visit the pup daily for at least an hour then it might be OK, but potty training will be very, very slow and you will have to be very patient.

I think you are far better off giving a home to an adult dog, preferably one that is used to spending some time alone.

i have 4 dogs and got all but 1 as adult rescues, we leave them all day while we work
    and they have the run of the house, never any damages, once in a while we will have some cleanup when we get home but not very often. puppies are awesome , but without a lot of attention and time with them you will probably have a tough time.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

I agree with the others, 10hrs even 1 day is too long for a puppy to be alone. They need to eat, drink and potty.If you can find someone to come in that would be the solution for you.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast