Quick onset of Aspiration Pneumonia - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Quick onset of Aspiration Pneumonia

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Poor Max! He's lucky he's got such a diligent family! Prayers for a quick and complete recovery.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Prayers for a speedy recovery!
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

luvbug is offline Village Mayor

Thoughts and prayers for you and Max. I can't imagine going through that. Please keep us posted on his progress.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

How scary! Sending my best wishes for a speedy recovery for Max.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Maximus_Truong22 is offline New to the Village

Thank you all for your kind words and support.

Here is an update on Max's progress....

Two days ago, I wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to take Max home. Today I know he's coming home real soon! The progress Max has made in past 48 hours proves to me he is a fighter and wants to come back home. Kevin and I both can tell he really misses us. He just seems to perks up during our past two visits.

On this afternoons call, the MD said last night Max was able to be moved from the oxygen chamber to a normal cage. Her concern of the day was that he wasn't really eating any of the wet food or the rice/hamburger mix I brought in last night. The gunk I saw in his cage last night, looked disgusting and I totally understand why he does not want to eat it. I informed the MD that I only work down the road and suggested that I attempt to bring in/feed him some different food. (After I arrived, the vet tech informed me, that Max had eaten some of the rice/hamburger this morning.)

When I arrived, I could immediately tell Max is on the right track for recovery. His breathing is much more regular. He seemed very happy to see me and was even more happy that he was getting chicken! Being in the kennel all day long without much attention must drive him crazy. He just loves being scratched and rubbed. I could tell he wasn't get petted(which is understanding), though it still does make me sad because as many other pug owners know, these dogs thrive for attention and affection. Also the disgusting towel that was in his kennel just irritated me and I requested he be given something clean and soft.

After a few minutes of a thorough rub, scratch session, and eating we went for a real short 4 min walk around the building, as it was 102 out!!! He had not been taken out since 8:30. He normally hates the heat and with the humidity, I didn't want to push his breathing. He did thoroughly enjoyed those few minutes outside of that kennel and being out in the fresh air.

One thing I'd like share, which I found very concerning and angered me. The vet tech had taken him out of the kennel for the walk. As soon as he was placed on the concrete floor, he urinated a VERY large amount and then again as we started to make our way to the door!!! Tech was annoyed and blamed all fluid he's receiving. With the pneumonia and the high fluids/antibiotics he's receives throughout the day -- he must not be one a schedule potty break which doesn't make sense to me. I am not sure if they just expect him to mess inside the kennel or what... But he is kennel trained and must be holding his potty til he gets outside or just can't wait any longer and that must explain the dingy towel! Not the type of care I expect. --- Any thoughts or am I just over reacting and being over protective??

Anyhow, my fiance and I went back this evening. He was very happy to see the progess he's made since last night!! Max seem much more comfortable with the softer padding and was even falling asleep as we walked up. He is definitively returning back to his normal self! We quickly took Max for another walk and just spent a few minutes in the lounge area giving him lots of love and attention.

Tomorrow another x-ray of his lungs will be taken. If the fluid has receded enough, there is a huge possibility he can come home!!! The MD was gone for the day and the vet tech's wasn't able to provide much more information. We are crossing our fingers for tomorrow's update and good news. We can't wait to bring him home!

Thank you all again for your support during these tough times.

PS.. Tonight's vet tech said she typically doesn't like working with pugs, but just loves Max! (Which made me happy! Hopefully, she'll pay close attention to him!)

Maximus_Truong22 is offline New to the Village

I tried searching more information online about causing and such but many people don't share their stories or only share when the outcome is very sad.

I am so grateful my sister quickly noticed something wasn't right and called me right away. I ensured my sister that none of this was her fault and thanked her for being observant and reacting so quickly. She was one of the saving hands in Max's life. And we are all very grateful.

I actually work for a large health care organization and recently just worked on a pneumonia research study to identify areas of patient care that need improvement. Many of our human illnesses are very common in animals and many owners, like myself didn't know this until it's too late or serious occurrence.

The battle can definitively be won! We are one the way to coming home real soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaynapug View Post
    Aspirated pneumonia is also common in people!!!

It needs to be treated aggressively.........and the battle can be won!

It's a fear I have in puppies....all the time...and in a puppy it is often fatal.....

Ronda brought a 6 wk old puppy here. He just wasn't acting right....I held him.....and he threw up....I immediately put his head down so that he didn't aspirate more! He had aspirated sometime during the afternoon. We rushed him to the vet.....and fluid was found. He was put on meds and sent back home with us. By the next afternoon, he was acting like himself!

I see your boy fighting this and doing well! Please assure your sister that it is nothing that she did or didnt' do.......that it just happens...and could very well have happened when you are there!

PeachesMom is offline Village Admiral

Good to hear that Max is doing so much better and will soon be home. It's so scary when our babies are sick and such a helpless feeling.

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Sounds like a very good update and I will continue to pray for Max's recovery and that he will be able to come home very soon. I, too, would have been upset about the condition of the kennel and Max not being taken out on a regular schedule. I realize no one takes care of our babies like we do but I would expect better care from professionals. We have to be advocates and speak for up for them and I'm very glad you did just that.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

myboysRmylife is offline Village Admiral

So glad to hear Max is doing well! I pray he continues to progress & you have your baby home soon =)

While his basic care is good, I too would be upset about the details you mentioned. I'm glad you were there to step in!

AbbyGus is offline Village Mayor

So good to hear he is doing well!

I would have been upset about the potty thing too. Vet techs are kinda like the vet nurses..I have to help my patients to the bathroom, why shouldn't they be doing the same? What else do they expect him to do, just hold it indefinitely? Poor guy. Here's hoping he's home soon, and on the flip side, thank goodness all pottying aside they've helped him to recover.

Bah, I think I'm just spoiled by my vet. When Gracie had her surgery, she was concerned about her breathing and so she held her until she woke up from the anesthesia. My vet is an angel.
    The Chicken Lady to Gussie Handsome ~ Bentley Pee Pug ~ Princess Gracie May ~ Skinny Sam

Abby Sweets, never forgotten

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast