+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By lisamak
  • 2 Post By shaynapug
  • 1 Post By pennythepuglet

Thread: Fleas!

pennythepuglet is offline Village Puppy

Unhappy Fleas!

i went to visit Penny at the breeders yesterday, and she has fleas. it's terrible! you can see them crawling all over her! i still have 4 weeks until i take her home, and they promised to treat her and her whole litter, but after she gets used to being in my home i am planning on giving her another flea bath just in case. i don't want my cat getting them! what kind of shampoo do you recommend?
    On the bright side, she is already walking around and has doubled in size since last time i saw her, two weeks ago. i can't wait until i take her home! i went to PetSmart and picked out her food and water bowls, bed, harness and leash, etc. PICTURES COMING SOON!

lisamak is offline Village Merchant

Personally that would be a huge red flag for me...besides the fact that fleas are generall gross in so many ways, there can be lots of complications (internal parasites). Giving her a flea bath after she settles may not be enough. I'd pick her up on a week day and get her to vet immediately, and use a plastic crate in the car with a towel that's been treated with an anti-flea spray (a natural spray like Sentry Natural Defense, available at Petsmart. I don't want to sound mean but I wouldn't let her in my house until she's seen a vet (and you can't just put anything anti-flea on a young puppy).

Sorry to be a bummer :(

Lisa, Vince, Norman and Doug-Doug - the baking boyz from My Dog Ate It!

Find us on Facebook!

Follow Norman and the gang on Twitter!

pugtown is offline Village Admiral

Eeewwww! They get tapeworms from fleas!! Ask your vet if Comfortis or Capstar can be given to a pup.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Pug Mom Claire is offline Village Admiral

When I got Pearl at 7 wks. (too young), I found 1 flea on her, and it did really gross me out...took her to the vet immediately (like above advice), and she checked out OK. Some seasons are worse for fleas than others, and it is really easy in some locations to pick some up. I'd follow the vet's advice as to flea medications or shampoos to use on a puppy...they're very delicate babies!
    Good luck with your new baby, and may she be "flea-less" for life!

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Take her straight to the vet's office. Have her checked for tapeworms. Talk to them about Flea meds!

It angers me to no end to be reading this!!!!!! That should NEVER be happening!!!!! You're definitely gonna have to test for heartworm when she's 6 months old! That person that has the pups should be doing something.......should have already done something! If they're too young for flea meds......she should be bathing them in dawn. The other dogs should be treated! Sounds like her house is infested. You need to make sure you didn't bring one or two home in your clothes!
    lisamak and Lu Ci and Ri Ki like this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

pennythepuglet is offline Village Puppy

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm sorry I haven't made any posts lately :-(
    I got Penny about a month ago and she is now flea-free and perfectly healthy :-)
    Pug Mom Claire likes this.

+ Reply to Thread