surviving puppy adolescence - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: surviving puppy adolescence

Holly G is offline Village Mayor

Thank goodness for PV and all or your posts letting me know that I am not alone!! I've had all of these feelings and then some, but I wouldn't go back to pre-Ozzy life for anything.
    Ozzy's Mom, Holly from Omaha, NE
    Ozzy birthday 05/06/2012

Cat Denby is offline Village Puppy

oh, i wouldn't go back to life without cody. my favorite dog in the world died last september, and there have been times when i wasn't sure a puppy was the right decision for a grieving dog owner. but cody continues to show me that he is a wonderful fella, and i couldn't make it without him. he curls up in my arms at night and sleeps there until morning, and i don't think i could sleep any longer without feeling that little warm lump next to me. his smile is such a joy, and he refuses to let me mope about anything. and no matter how many times i wonder if he'll ever stop doing this or that, i realize that what he has brought to my life is worth even a few bad habits (not that i'm not TRYING to train them away anyway...). every day gets better, and cody is such an important part of our family now. yes, puppy relapse days are frustrating, but they are also a reminder of the fact that most of those bad habits are gone or diminished. i'm a lucky pug mama.

Rufus Pug Bug is offline Village Senator

I would have certainly went to puppy classes like that if they were available. it would have provided a nice change of scenery for me when he was a pup and I seemed to be at home with him 24/7. Like you said, it would have been good to have someone there with a well behaved adult dog to prove to you that it is achievable and you will get there soon.

It takes a lot of hard work to raise a pup but you also feel so proud of yourself and your dog when that day finally comes that you realise they have matured into a lovely young dog. The day I realised rufus finally got recall was the day it all changed for me, he was no longer my goofy puppy running off as he pleased, he had turned into a reliable, quite well trained dog and I was bursting with pride.

He isn't perfect by any means, but as a companion and family pet he is as close as it gets. He is the most affectionate little dog I have ever met. The feet biting will stop and you will probably laugh about it and say "remember when he used to put holes in your socks!"

Just take the time to enjoy his puppyhood, it is over fairly quickly and when they start to show the inevitable signs that they are ageing, you would give anything to see the little devil in then come back out.

If I survived it and ended up with such a great dog, anyone can do it!
    Cat Denby likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Cat Denby is offline Village Puppy

that's the best puppy pep talk i've heard in a long time! obviously rufus is a sweetie because you are. cody is a great fellow, and i think i make it sound worse than it is. we were joking the other day that if you add up his naughty time, it's less than 20 minutes every day. he's only 10 months old, and he doesn't actually bite the feet anymore, he just trips you and pretends he will. he's not humping humans at all anymore (well, very rarely) and he's starting to respect his big sister. it's true, the minute he calms down i'll miss his puppy days. it's not about the destination, it's about the journey, and i'm so glad to take it with him. thank you again for the great words of wisdom!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12