No running in the house - or anywhere else!
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Cat Denby
  • 1 Post By Frida
  • 1 Post By Loopythepug
  • 1 Post By Pug Mom Claire
  • 1 Post By Tinker's mom
  • 1 Post By SLD386
  • 1 Post By BennettsMommy

Thread: No running in the house - or anywhere else!

Cat Denby is offline Village Puppy

Default No running in the house - or anywhere else!

so cody will be a year old in november. and he's really doing quite well. GENERALLY cody doesn't attack feet anymore, but there is still no running allowed, EVER! does anyone have a pep talk about how their pug used to be obsessed with chasing running feet and eventually outgrew it? don't get me wrong - he's doing better than he used to, and i know it will go away just like all the other naughty behavior he has outgrown, but today, i just need to hear some encouragement. i love my little dude - he just wants to play with (and eat) those darn feet whenever they start running!
    Tinker's mom and Rugbysmom like this.

Frida is offline Village Governor

Popeye used to attack feet (especially if they had socks on) at home (but not outside)... The worst part is that my bf encouraged it because he thought it looked funny, and my brother would purposely make him do it when he would come to visit (he used to say: "Popeye, who's that?? OMG WHO'S THAT- IS THAT THE FOOT MONSTER?!?!?!" and wiggle his foot in front of him!). Lol they would get him HYPED about it. So, as you can imagine, they prolonged he habit by encouraging it.

But alas, even with the two boys making it fun for him, he still outgrew it in about 4 months tops, all by himself, and no longer has any interest AT ALL in feet... And now I have to admit that sometimes, just sometimes, I miss it! =)
    Cat Denby likes this.

Loopythepug is offline Village Senator

Aww look at that little face! He's adorable! Our pugs are the same age so I totally understand what you're talking about. Mine has almost completely stopped chasing and biting feet, he only does it when I'm cooking or doing the dishes and he want my attention. I honestly don't have any other advice to give you but to keep having patience. I've tried ignoring this behaviour but it's almost impossible as it hurts a lot when they do it, I've also tried yelping but it only works for a couple of seconds. The only thing that works most of the time is saying "leave it", this is my favourite command, it works for everything. I'd recommend teaching it to your little one if you haven't already. Good luck! :)
    Cat Denby likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Pug Mom Claire is offline Village Admiral

Our Pugs did the same thing with feet, especially my son's who would play with them barefoot...they eventually gave up when they grew up, but Pearl had a thing about a ratty old bathrobe I had when she was a puppy...would still swing on the bottom of it, and I would pull her across the floor...finally had to get rid of the old thing (robe, not Pearl)...it was in tatters!
    Cat Denby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Loopythepug View Post
    Aww look at that little face! He's adorable! Our pugs are the same age so I totally understand what you're talking about. Mine has almost completely stopped chasing and biting feet, he only does it when I'm cooking or doing the dishes and he want my attention. I honestly don't have any other advice to give you but to keep having patience. I've tried ignoring this behaviour but it's almost impossible as it hurts a lot when they do it, I've also tried yelping but it only works for a couple of seconds. The only thing that works most of the time is saying "leave it", this is my favourite command, it works for everything. I'd recommend teaching it to your little one if you haven't already. Good luck! :)
    cody is pretty good about stopping when you tell him "off" (we use "leave it" for objects and "off" for living things - i don't know why but it helps him to have a distinction between the two). we also use a squirt bottle a lot of times, which works well. truthfully he NEVER attacks feet in the house anymore, only outside and usually only when we are running or is he's following my husband around while he mows the lawn (which i can understand, because i think he's really yelling "stop moving that scary machine around!!!"). i know it will get better, and i'm actually pretty patient in general. then there are days like today where i feel like it will never stop! but i used to think that about the nipping in general, and it's all gone. thanks so much for the pep talk! you guys have no idea how much it helps to hear from people who have been here and know what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pug Mom Claire View Post
    Our Pugs did the same thing with feet, especially my son's who would play with them barefoot...they eventually gave up when they grew up, but Pearl had a thing about a ratty old bathrobe I had when she was a puppy...would still swing on the bottom of it, and I would pull her across the floor...finally had to get rid of the old thing (robe, not Pearl)...it was in tatters!
    we have a similar issue with those L.L. Bean moccasins. i've determined that we will never get him to leave them alone entirely. he doesn't attack them on my husband's feet anymore, though! it's cute how he does it - he waits until chad is sitting down, and then cody will walk over and stare at the moccasin on his right foot (always the right one) and put his paw on it. this means "give me the shoe". chad gives him the moccasin and he then tears through the house with his trophy until he gets bored of it. it's our little compromise - ask nicely and you get to play with JUST THIS SHOE. believe it or not, it has helped him to stop stealing other shoes. plus i think it's funny that he asks first!

MuShu Mom is offline Village Royalty

MuShu used to attack me when I was wearing slippers. I finally gave up and packed them away. Actually pulled some out to wear just last week and now that MuShu is 7 years old, doesn't seem to be interested in them anymore!

ON THE EIGHTH DAY, GOD CREATED PUGS !

Hopelessly "Pugged" ,

Cheri

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

They do outgrow it eventually! Tinker used to chase and nip feet and toes! Cody is a cutie!
    Cat Denby likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

SLD386 is offline Village Mayor

I just love pictures of cody he always looks like he is waiting for you to play with him. I can see just by looking at him why you love him. He is just a cutie and if I came over I would probably let him have my shoe.
    Cat Denby likes this.

BennettsMommy is offline Village Puppy

Bennett does the same thing, and I can't wait for him to outgrow it lol :) although he is much much better lately. The unfortunate thing at my house is it has never been my husbands feet our pant leg just mine. My husband used to think it was funny to watch......until the day I made him put my slippers on and Bennett went nuts (I don't even try and wear the slippers anymore). Needless to say, my husband realized it did hurt, and it is not always pleasant dragging a little pug along lol
    Cat Denby likes this.
    Mom to Bennett 1/4/12 and Bailey 8/9/12

+ Reply to Thread