+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BuggLover
  • 1 Post By CSollers

Thread: is the pug right for me?

PugtasticAmber is offline Village Mayor

Default is the pug right for me?

hey guys,
    i've done my reaserch about everything on pugs, i understand the health issues and the care i need to put into my pug (wrinkles etc.), i've contacted local vets and told them about school/work hours and he ssaid 'the times are fine', the only thing is i want to ask people with expirences, i just live with my mum (who is very commited aswell, willing to give her lunch and breaks to come home for the pug), i do get lonely at times, i have 3 hamsters which are a joy, but when they're fully awake im asleep, i also have a rabbit who is very friendly, if i do get a pug it will be my first dog, and i do like to excersize but i can be really lazy and just not bothered lol :P, so basically: im a bit lonely, but bubbly, can be lazy, new dog owner, absoulutly commited..so do you guys think i should get a pug and if so can you give me some expirences of how amazing your pug is etc..thanks guys, your all a massive help:)x

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

If you have the free time to potty train and obedience train and you have the money for potential health issues go for it. Sounds like you've done the research on the breed and know the pitfalls, they are just the most loving little companions you could find.You're going to have to be consistent and patient with their training and you can't not be bothered with them, so if you are wiling to change that, you're good to go.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

The financial considerations are probably the most important issue with Pugs. They will usually adapt to a given lifestyle as adults( Puppies are crazy!), but you really need to be able to handle expensive Vet bills if they come up.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

BuggLover is offline Village Governor

I agree with everything above... pugs are great because they are super affectionate and loving, but they do require work when it comes to health and general care. I have pet insurance for any unexpected big vet bills (and some money put away). I don't think I would recommend a puppy for you, they are A LOT of work... and you need to be very consistent in training. I think you would be best contacting local shelters and adopting an adult dog, and as much as I love pugs and think they are great, if you are just looking for a companion there are loads of dogs out there that need homes and would make a loving pet to you (no matter the breed). I know all of the shelters in Edmonton are always full and do a great job of placing the right dog with the right owner, I'm guessing they do matching like that in the UK too.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Owned by Winston the Bugg

RubyRose is offline Village Governor

I just wanted to agree with the others re. vets bills. Unless you have deep pockets, insurance is a must (I had a 2800 vet bill within 6 months of bringing Paddy pup home). Also, yes, puppies are busy little monsters at times and can really test your patience. They aren't so cute when they are nipping and causing mischief! But, at the end of the day when they've finally settled down after ripping up a storm and are curled up in your lap with their sweet puppy breath they are worth it.

PugtasticAmber is offline Village Mayor

i understand all said, its just i feel a bit scare due to when i was young i had an attack from a couple of dogs and i guess im just worried that the pug wont love me..or i'll get attacked, i know anything with teeth will bite but im just scared due to bad expirences with dogs..x

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

A Pug puppy is going to want to chew on you.....Maybe you should check into an adult. Nothing loves like a Pug!
    BuggLover likes this.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

+ Reply to Thread