New to Pug Village! Tips on Potty training please!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Pug Village! Tips on Potty training please!

jndem67 is offline New to the Village

Default New to Pug Village! Tips on Potty training please!

Hi all. I bought my little pug from a breeder 5 days ago. He is a handful. He pees and poops everywhere, and follows you around like crazy. I expected this from a little puppy. He is 8 weeks ago. and Yes we have him extremely spoiled! He pretty much owns this house. I bought puppy pads so that maybe there is a chance that he will perhaps pee or poop there, but he seems to do his business around the puppy pad lol. Any recommendations?
    Thanks
    Julia

muurphy is offline Village Puppy

Thumbs up

Hi welcome,
    When he is weeing on the floor soke it up in the pad. Then his smell will be in the pad.

From then on every time he wees and poos put him on the pad and say wee wees over and over. If u see him stiffing and any signs on weeing or pooing start saying wees over and over pick him up and keep him on the pad until the deed is done then lots and lots of prase !

If he is pooing dont stop him mid stream if u didnt catch him early your jut too late wait till his finishes says no! And put on pad and again say wee wees.

He will soon catch on mine is 4months and still has accedents inside. Its gonna happen just keep with it no need to smack or shout as will have accidents simply say No! Firmly and put in his pad.

Remember lots of prase when he does it on pad, none and a firm No when he dont.

Good luck
    Last edited by muurphy; 01-12-2013 at 04:51 AM.

PugMa is offline Village Admiral

With pups I set up a x pen with well padded floors and a small crate. When I cannot be in direct sight of the pup to watch for signs of needed to go, pup is in the pen. That way he HAS to pee/poop on pads. When out of the pen, watch him like a hawk and any time he puts his nose down sniffing, it is out the door for a potty break. When potty happens outside, LOTS of praise. (Good boy! Hand clapping, Whoo Hooo!) Out to potty immediately after eating and just before bed time. Typically pups can only hold their bladder for about 1 hour for each month they are old (8 weeks= 2 hours) You may wanna plan taking him out every two hours, until he "gets it". Some get it quicker than others and some will continue to have accidents even up until 8-10 months. It's really like having a new born but just remember his bodies limitations. Good luck!
    Kim
    Ma to Joy
    &
    MuShu & Kaya's Grand"Ma"'

"A dog naps so much because he loves so hard."

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

jndem67 is offline New to the Village

Hi all!
    Thank you so much for the wonderful advise. I will try this method tomorrow. I love my little Pug!.

Thanks
    Julia

littlepugwoman is offline Village Puppy

I agree with PugMa. When I went back to work (after my puppy leave) yuck, yuck, I would run home on my lunch break to let them out and that helped too. I am a firm believer in using the crate. Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread