Does your pug try to swallow things whole...?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Does your pug try to swallow things whole...?

SiennasMommy is offline Village Royalty

Default Does your pug try to swallow things whole...?

I don't know if it was the puppy mill or living with 5 other dogs or if it's just a pug thing. I will give Sienna treats and she will do the least amount of chewing. Sometimes she'll swallow and swallow trying to get something down, rather than chew it well. If I cut things into small bits, she'll just swallow without chewing. Sometimes she'll near the end of a bully stick and try to choke down the last remnant whole. I've nearly had a heart attack at times, because I'm afraid she's going to choke on something or tear her throat up.

She gets canned food for breakfast and supper (1/2 can am and 1/2 can pm) and for treats and play, I'll put kibbles in her toys. She also has some hard cookies the size of a quarter, some soft cookies I break in half (also the size of a quarter; this morning, she barely chewed them and just swallowed it) and some hard dried liver (low-fat). On occasion, she'll get a bully stick about every week and a half.

Any suggestions? Does anyone else's pugs do this?

sugarskullz is offline Village Adornista & SugarSkull Junkie

Both mine inhale their food/treats. No chewing at all. I'm pretty sure it's a pug thing. I flood their kibble with water to slow them down slightly!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    **Patrice - owned by Miss Lola Falana**

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Yep, both of our Pugs will pretty much try to inhale whatever they believe is food.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Rufus Pug Bug is offline Village Senator

Yeah rufus is a gulper. When I first tried raw feeding I gave him a chicken wing and he swallowed it whole, I was absolutely terrified it would cause a blockage but luckily it didn't. He never used to chew chicken breast meat either, he would just keep trying to swallow it whole, bork on it and try again until he somehow got it down and kept it down. I think sometimes it's scarier for us to watch than it is for them lol
    Rufus, my curly tailed best friend x

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

No chewing here either!
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

odaisy is offline Village Puppy

since changing to feeding raw wilma has slowed down a bit and begun chewing a lot more

the bigger the food the more chewing she has to do
    try to give her a turkey leg each week, from morrisons, she eats from it about twice in the day then i throw away the last of the bone once the meat has been eaten
    the other week i bought a cheek from the butchers but he chopped it up so she wouldn't choke on it as they are sinewy, the butchers word though next time i may try whole as she needs to chomp

kibble and treats are so small that they are just swallowed whole but i don't worry about that anymore

myboysRmylife is offline Village Admiral

Dogs in general aren't chewers. If they have no concept of the size of what they are attempting to swallow, you just have to be that much more vigilant.

Loopythepug is offline Village Senator

Yup, mine does that. I had to stop giving him bully sticks because he would chew half of it and try to swallow the rest! I never leave him with a bone unsupervised.
    Shiloh'sdaddy likes this.

vinknee is offline Village Mayor

Lucia from apuppy mill chews her food. Luigi my rescue swallows food whole. He once swallowed a 5 inch bully stick and luckly hurled it out.

Shiloh'sdaddy is offline Village VP

Shiloh falls in this group. On occasion she scares the poop out of me gulping down things !!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast