Why does UK/Europe not have dog overpopulation?
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cheryl7777

Thread: Why does UK/Europe not have dog overpopulation?

cellophane is offline Village Governor

Default Why does UK/Europe not have dog overpopulation?

Why does the UK...and some parts of Europe... have no dog overpopulation problem? I have also heard that the shelters have a lot of certain breeds (pit bulls, just like in the US), is that true, and why? What is to stop people there from making a "quick buck"? Is it the difficulty of registering a litter with the Kennel Club?

Here, as you know, responsible people spay and neuter their dogs, and that is that. Other "less responsible" people tend to want to "let them have one litter, to have the experience, then fix them". (No idea why, they usually give the litter to friends and family, but those friends and family are probably not going to take great care of the dogs, and add to our severe overpopulation problem which stems from the last group). The least responsible either don't give a **** and just let their dogs breed with friend's dogs, their other house dogs, etc willy-nilly just because they don't care either way. Or they purposely breed them to sell on Craigslist to make a few hundred bucks off each litter, classic backyard breeder.

So yeah um, what's the difference? For those breeds like pit bulls, is there a difference?

And do people fix their cats over there? Do they have cat overpopulation too?

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

We do have problems with stray cats too. I think it comes down to people that think they can make a few bucks by breeding their poorly bred dogs and producing more poorly bred dogs. It's a cultural thing in some communities to let their dogs run loose and not get them fixed....hence tons of mixed breed dogs and puppies ending up at the pound. Many look at dogs as disposable property and not beloved members of their family that they protect at all cost. Some of it comes down to the cost of spay/neuter, but i've known educated people with good jobs that don't spay or neuter either. I think it comes down to educating people and low cost spay/neuter clinics. We have a local group that is working on all these things, but it's going to take a lot of word before we really see a difference. We see a ton of Chihuahuas, pitbulls and german shepherds at our local shelter.

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

Cheryl7777 is offline Village Admiral

I live in the US and don't know why the other countries are so blessed not to have this problem but I have some thoughts on why the US has it. Well, in my opinion, it's typical of the greedy American attitude. An abundance of Americans are too cheap to take proper care of their pets and a huge bunch of people think that's a good way to make money. They are not interested in what happens to the animals they produce and dispose of. I think Americans are some of the most greedy, self serving people on the planet in all aspects of life. In general there is an attitude of entitlement in this country and to hell with who has to suffer for it. And that carries over into every aspect of the American way of life. That's why our rescues and dog pounds and the streets have so many unwanted pets. That's also why our landfills are so full of garbage too. Now I'm not saying this to insult anyone here. There are thousands of exceptions to this, but unfortunately the exceptions do not out number the general rule in this country. I don't know of anything that can be done except to take care of the pets you have and fulfill the commitment you make for the life of each animal you take responsibility for. The other important thing is to educate not alienate. Try to talk to anyone you see that is not spaying or neutering or anyone breeding willy nilly. Try to make them understand they are contributing to a huge, horrible problem. It may take more than one conversation about this, so try not to go in like a know-it-all with condemnation in your voice and attitude. I guess the other thing is if some decent laws could be passed in this country it would help, but with our self serving politicians who can't agree on anything, I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon. And the last thing is, don't contribute to the profit of these back yard breeders or anyone who is trying to make a quick buck on breeding irresponsibly. If there are rescues in your area, look there before you look in the newspaper for a Pug. There are so many deserving little guys and gals waiting and needing a home. OK sorry, got way over the top and will get off my soap box now.
    SiennasMommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Heike is offline Village Governor

In Germany you HAVE to register your dog/s with the city and you will pay taxes to own them. Plus most people have a liability insurance for their dogs. We like to insure anything and everything. ;)
    It is also not that common to spay/ neuter. It took me almost 2 years to finally talk my dad into getting my brothers dog fixed. My dad used to take care of Paula, so he had some say in it.

I don't know about other European countries, but Germans (i know a few who do it) rescue street dogs/ cats in southern Europe. They go, get them and find new homes for them.

Sadly, we are also starting to hear about puppy mills here too. Those dogs are usually from Russia and Ukraine.

cellophane is offline Village Governor

How much is the tax? Is that why people don't own many dogs?

It depends on the city. I checked Munich.
    The tax is payable yearly.
    1. dog: 100 Euro
    2. dog: 100 Euro
    each additional dog: 100 Euro
    "fighting/ dangerous breeds": 800 (eight hundred) Euro ($1071)

The amount changes per city/ community. Nuernberg has one of the highest rates for fighting breeds: 1320 Euro ($1768)

Hundesteuer - Wieviel kostet Sie die Hundesteuer in ihrem Ort? here you can see how much is changes between city and states. Hund means dog; Anlagehund is a fighting/ dangerous breed; Hundesteuer: dog tax
    If i would have to pay that much, I would think about owning dogs

Cheryl7777 is offline Village Admiral

In Germany you HAVE to register your dog/s with the city and you will pay taxes to own them.
    That's a fantastic idea. I wish we had that here and then the tax money could be poured into spaying and neutering clinics and into rescues to help with their costs. There's a tax bill I could get behind.

i checked to see if they had ANY pugs for adoption in the zip code (only the first number) where I grew up. None found. I like that

SiennasMommy is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl7777 View Post
    I live in the US .... will get off my soap box now.
    I agree with you 100% Cheryl7777. Our society values animal life as cheap and disposable. Our society doesn't think of animals as having emotions and can feel pain. How many times have you heard "They don't feel pain like we do?" How selfish is that?

+ Reply to Thread