My new pug puppy is driving me mad:( - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: My new pug puppy is driving me mad:(

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

I forgot to say, that if you want to train her to be alone, the best thing is to give her something nice to chew. An antler, dried pig's ear or whatever she likes will do the trick. If she gets something nice when you crate her or leave her in the kitchen, she is likely to be much happier about it. She is not barking to be a pain. She simply misses you and is bored.
    Wally 'n' Leto and TootsLayla like this.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

Rufus Pug Bug is offline Village Senator

Pug puppies are in a league of their own. We had a few different breeds growing up and none of them were ever like rufus (my pug). He was a whirlwind. So much harder to potty train, he seemed to constantly bite me and it hurt, he would steal underwear and run off with it like an idiot and then jump all over me when I tried to take it back...generally just a little menace. I used to get so upset and wonder what I was doing wrong and why my puppy "didn't like me". I sometimes wondered if I had done the right thing getting him but now he is the best dog I could have ever hoped for and I love him so much.

I am pleased to tell you it does get better and that behaviour DOES stop, I am living proof lol. It took what felt like a lifetime to properly potty train him and I was so frustrated but then he just stopped with the accidents and his other training seemed to finally start sinking in. Once you get to that stage, and you will, things seem so much better. You just need to give yourself and pup more time. 5 years has passed since I was where you are in the blink of an eye and I honestly sometimes miss the naughty puppy and I never thought those words would come out of my mouth. Try to enjoy it, it's that stubborn little personality that gives the pug their fantastic character and charm :)
    Rufus, my curly tailed best friend x

RubyRose is offline Village Governor

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus Pug Bug View Post
    he would steal underwear and run off with it like an idiot
    Paddy still does this, despite our best efforts to keep all laundry out of reach. I wonder if he'll ever grow out of it as he gets so much satisfaction from it... earlier this week a friend stayed over and he sneaked in to her room, stole her kecks and then proudly brought them up to me

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Rufus Pug Bug is offline Village Senator

Well that was sadly one thing that actually never improved (all the rest did though!), he is still an underwear theif but now I laugh about it. He just loves you to chase him with it! As soon as you stop and walk away, he loses interest and drops the 'prize'. Haha, did your friend see the funny side of it? I regularly have to clean out rufus' stash that he shoves right down the side of my bed near the bedside table, little monkey
    Rufus, my curly tailed best friend x

Oscarpug is offline Village Puppy

Dont forget to treat her every time when she is doing something right :)
    pup's will learn this way waaay faster!
    We have 3 months old pug puppy and i have done a lot of training with him ..now after month having him he can sit,shake,leave it and no bite, potty training is almost done .
    If it helps thats what we did

-ignoring bad behaviour (barking ,whining)
    (if he sleeps in his crate,place the crate in your bedroom for night)

-Crate training slowly

-time your puppies '' presents'' after he eats,sleeps and drinks''
    if u have iphone i use this free app ''petsync''

Oscars schedule is>
    we take him out first thing at morning 7am
    food 7.30-8am

walk 10.30-11am
    lunch 12pm

walk13.30-14.00pm

walk 4pm
    dinner 4.30 -5pm

walk 7-8pm

sleep 8-9pm
    Sometimes he sleeps for longer than 2-3 h then his schedule changes !

He still has accidents now and then we normally ignore it and taking him outside straight away.

We also use bell training and he gets huge praise and treat every time he poops/pees outside!

We always treat him for good behaviour ( i sometimes use only crumble of treat to train him for doing something well for like 60 times so he gets the point)
    Puppies dont really care how much treat they are getting as long there is something:)

I will recommend also clicker training for your pup so she will learn YES

soon she will learn :)
    Good luck i hope it helps and don't give up ,pugs are great and your hard work will pay off!!

ODemPugz likes this.
    Follow me on instagram @Oscarpugpug

emmaolive is offline Village Mayor

Sheesh... They are such hard puppies. I was totally underprepared and completely overwhelmed when we brought Percy home 4 months ago. I posted here so much looking for help. He bit me constantly, he terrified my daughter, he cried every time I left his side, he refused to walk or go outside, he pee'd on the floor 25 times a day, it was hideous! I got some kind of post puppy depression and sat crying in my pj's for a week - full of regret...

Two things helped. Puppy pads (he refused to go outside) and ham for every pee/poop on the pad, and take him to the pad every 30 min. Within a week he was having just 2/3 accidents per week. Then at around 4.5 months he stopped going on the pads as I started taking him outside hourly. Now we're pretty much sorted as long as I take him out often (6m now).

Other thing was buying him a bed with a comfy cushion and putting it by the radiator, with a paddy wack in. He started actually chewing and playing without me. It got a teeny bit easier. I also underestimated the amount of sleep he needed - still forgot now when he's going mad and can't concentrate that he's probably tired. I'd crate her every 2 hours to see if she will chew and relax or sleep - the more tired Percy got the more he cried in his crate, if I caught it before he got over tired he went in and zzz in minutes. Like a tired baby - over tired is the route of all evil!

At six months its still such hard work... Some days I despair of him and massively regret it... I read the responses on here about how much better it will get and I hope it comes soon... Slowly we are getting there. He'll follow some commands well now and I really enjoy spending time with him our walks and when my daughter is in bed. Bless him.

Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker

Zeus as a baby was a doll baby. he came to me crate trained at 8 weeks old and that helped.
    I loved him as tiny infant.......so cuddly and so quiet too

but then there Bella the bulldog that was last to leave her litter and impossible as a tiny pup. she ended up on the big bed much earlier....she was far more vocal then Zeus every was but she was easy to potty train and so on and did a number of tricks and commands fast..

and then there was Gus......everything was impossible with him except napping in the xpen. he was good at that....... he tried my nerves all the time and over and over and did not really improve by 2 I said to the vet..JOKINGLY.... I think this dog is deaf..he never comes when he is called and bla bla bla other issues. the vet suggested he be BAER tested and sure enough he was Deaf.wow did I feel like a heel then. he was the way he was because of something physically wrong with him. within one day of hand signs he was a totally different dog. he picked it up so fast. that is why I am heavily involved in helping deaf dogs......of all breeds. just helped 2 deaf pugs here too..........always take your puppy to the vet and have them checked from top to bottom to make sure that there is nothing phyically wrong with your pup first before you slam them for behaviour issues......... I learned the hard way.......nobody has to do that.
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

SiennasMommy is offline Village Royalty

I'm laughing out loud at the pug "underwear" thieving. Those stories are hilarious.
    ODemPugz likes this.

PeachesMom is offline Village Admiral

Mine is also an underwear thief. Another of Peaches favorites are sunglasses. I am constantly taking them away from her. It's amazing what she can get into when she's motivated. It doesn't help that we have granddaughters 3 nights a week and they seem to forget that anything within her reach is fair game. She's so different from our previous pug Suki. Suki was very laid back and easy and this one is a lot more high maintenance but worth it all. I always say that our lives must have been pretty quiet before she arrived on the scene. She's a year old now and I would not trade a minute of the naughty puppyhood that is her life.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

Tiny's Mum is offline Village VP

We have had very few problems with Tiny and I am very grateful for this. Like a surprise, late in life baby, she came to us unplanned and completely changed our lives. I grew up in a household where a 'dog's place was outside' so I found it hard to consider Tiny living indoors all the time but I have compromised - bedrooms are out of bounds and tiled or vinyl areas, are fine.

When we first brought her home, we set her up in a very comfortable bed in our laundry, a room within our house. She was put to bed about 7 pm, and we placed hessian bags and newspaper all over the floor so any accidents were easily cleaned up. During the day, she had access to our large yard and she soon learned to go outside when she wanted to 'go to the toilet'. Of course, we were always with her when she was outside and we quickly built a make-shift fence so she could roam around at her leisure. It didn't take her long to go all night without the need to relieve herself without any formal training.

Tiny also loved to bite our toes, especially my husband's, but we tried to ignore her and it seemed to work. She loved to chew on our daughter's hair and as much as Anita complained, she loved it (otherwise I am sure she wouldn't have lain on the ground so Tiny could climb all over her!). Tiny as a very young puppy reminded me so much of my own daughters as babies, so cute but so trying at times; stubborn; doing naughty things for the attention they gained - ignore them and they stopped. I can remember being at my wit's end at times and wondering if I was cut out to be a mother - what had I done? But the girls only had to smile at me or tell me they loved me, and I melted.

I know I shouldn't compare the love of our children with a, dare I say it, dog (even if it is a pug), but I can't believe the feelings I have for our little Tiny. Hang in there, try and have a little more patience and you will be rewarded with a faithful, loving friend for life. If possible, let your furkid have some freedom to explore the backyard on his own. Not only will he have a ball, but it should tire him out. Tiny loves to lie in her bed in her own covered area, where she can watch the birds, ready to chase one or, more often, the shadow of a bird or butterfly. She has the freedom to come and go as she pleases, up or down the back stairs, safe in the knowledge that one of us isn't far away. I love watching her wandering through the garden, doing a lap of the boundary fences, choosing just the right spot to 'squat'.

Admittedly, Tiny is now 6 years old but she didn't take long to settle into her new home, at about 9 weeks and has been an absolute joy ever since.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast