Just Moved With Pug to NYC - Need Help!
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Pat's Crew
  • 2 Post By CountryPug
  • 4 Post By aimeepartido

Thread: Just Moved With Pug to NYC - Need Help!

aimeepartido is offline New to the Village

Default Just Moved With Pug to NYC - Need Help!

I just moved with my 6-year old Pug, Chile Biscuit, to New York City. It's her 4th day here, and she is still not adjusting well at all. We're subletting an apartment until I find us a permanent one, and sadly it's a 3rd floor walk-up. I naturally assumed potty-training her would be a challenge (going on concrete in front of passerby & noise, instead of her private backyard) but her behavior itself is inconsistent and I don't know what to do.

Yesterday she seemed to be almost back to normal - flirting with people & dogs on the street, and seemed to have her energy & the spring in her step back. But this morning, she's back to being lethargic and trembling off & on. She wouldn't walk up or down the stairs this morning, so I had to carry her.

I know trembling is supposed to be a sign of pain, so I'm wondering if it could be soreness/joint pain from all the walking & trips up and down stairs yesterday. We spent almost 5 hours walking up and down the street trying to go potty. It's probably more exercise than she's had her entire life.

She went to the vet a few days before we left, because she had to get a health certificate before she could fly, and the vet totally cleared her. The vets here are very very expensive, so I'd hate to waste hundreds of dollars just to have a vet tell me "she just needs time to adjust."

I know our Pugs are our babies, and Chile Biscuit is no exception. If there are any people on this forum that either live in NYC, or have had similar experience getting their Pug to adjust to a new city & lifestyle, I'd really appreciate either advice or a good pep talk. My email is [email protected].

Moving to a city like this is a huge change for both of us, but it's breaking my heart to see her so confused, because unlike me, she doesn't know what's going on.

Thanks for letting me vent,

Aimee
    Chile Biscuit's worried mama

Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker

it takes time to adjust for any dog to a new enviroment. Pru came here and it took about 2 weeks for her to completely settle in. one day was good and the next not so good.
    it takes time.....
    maybe give her one of shirts to keep her comforted inside.......
    I would refrain from using the steps as much as possible and going that far for walks.......until she settles more into her new place
    shaynapug likes this.
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

Could be she hurt herself going up and down the stairs, I would carry her, that's a lot of steps for a pug. Is there a nearby park or other grasses area.....you could take her there so it would feel more like home. Maybe you could teach her to use a litter box or pet stores have pee pads that look like grass. Hopefully she does not have an injury and she gets used to her new place soon.
    shaynapug and taffiecandy like this.

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

mieu is offline Village Senator

Depending on where you're moving from, setting up base in NYC is a huge adjustment. Consider how well she may or may not like the water--do you use a filter or bottled water, or tap? Make sure she's drinking enough. I visit friends in downtown NYC overnight and every morning I wake up way more dehydrated than if I were at home, just make sure she's drinking!

How noisy is it at night compare to what you're both used to? She may not be sleeping well. Was your new place cleaned thoroughly before you moved in? No old smells lingering in carpets?

I would expect that dogs...most mammals...get delayed-onset muscle soreness, which sets in about 12 hours after lots of plyometric/strength work (climbing stairs) and peak in intensity at around 24 hours...taking 48 hours to clear up. She may just be sore! The good thing is that it makes their muscles stronger, and you'll see improvement in her ability to handle that kind of exercise very quickly. It's not unsafe to take her up and down stairs again today unless she is wobbly/weak, but she may appreciate a day off--speaking as someone who has pushed her own limits with that kind of training (on purpose). If she is favoring a particular leg then it may be a re-use injury to her paw or wrist, and I'd keep her off it. It's starting to get toasty up here so make sure you're keeping her nice and cool! NYC can get oppressively humid in the summer, on top of the not-so-fresh air quality, can make for a sticky, stuffy summer experience.

Give her a nice massage and some extra lovin'!
    Last edited by mieu; 05-04-2013 at 02:18 PM.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, till the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Scootaloo's Page!

sassismom is offline Village Original Southern Dame

I can't imagine what a huge city like that would be like to a Pug, fun, frightening seems like a lot of climbing she may be sore from so much extra walking. It may take her a bit to get used to the excessive activity, I too think finding a park is a good idea, maybe carry her half of the steps adding a little more next week etc until she gets into the shape she needs for so much climbing. Good luck!
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow My Sweet Babies until we meet again at the Bridge Sassi (1998 - 2011) Angus (2005 - 2017) Meelah (2005 - 2018) Sissi (2011 - 2019) Cecil (2018 - 2020)

aimeepartido is offline New to the Village

Thanks for the tips, everyone! Chile Biscuit is getting better; she doesn't seem to be sick or in pain anymore, but she's still having trouble going potty on a routine basis; all the rain this week hasn't made it any easier either, because she won't go in the rain! I started carrying her down the stairs (because they're steep steps and put a lot of pressure on her joints), and only let her walk up.

The best news is I've found a permanent apartment, which we'll be moving into next week - which has an elevator, but best of all - IT HAS GRASS!!

Aimee

Mom to Lucy is offline Village Admiral

Both pugs were a little stiff and sore after we moved from a single story to a two story house. It took a few days, but they adjusted. Glad you found an apartment with grass!
    Christine Honorary Pug Parent. Wrangler of Bunny the crazy EP, mom to one human child, wife to a wonderful hubby, and entertained by a couple of fishies.
    Forever missing our Bugsy Francis - 04/13/05 - 05/24/17 and Lucy Loo - 10/13/2005 - 12/27/2020.

+ Reply to Thread