I walk 3 untrained small dogs every day. What are good methods?
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By feathers83
  • 2 Post By groverthepug

Thread: I walk 3 untrained small dogs every day. What are good methods?

LongWalker is offline New to the Village

Question I walk 3 untrained small dogs every day. What are good methods?

How do you walk your three trained or untrained pugs by yourself? What method are you using and do you like it:
    Three separate leashes, one 3-way tripler leash, one 2-way coupler plus a separate leash,
    special handles, combined leashes or hand loops, sledding-type leash arrangement, other, etc..?

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

I would keep the two dogs that walk best on one side and one on the other side. My fear is if I have them hooked together and something unforeseen should happen, such as an aggressive loose dog, I would have less control of them being all hooked together. Also, you can't teach them anything when hooked together. I you need to correct one, you would be correcting all of them...not good....just my opinion.

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

feathers83 is offline Village Puppy

I am a dog walker and have to walk a clients 3 large dogs together and individual leashes is the only way I can do it. If I couple them together, 1 always wants to pee somewhere that the other dog doesn't or the end up peeing on each other. It also makes training a lot harder, like CountryPug said.
    CountryPug likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

groverthepug is offline Village Admiral

You will need to train them individually to walk on a lead. Then, once you've got that down pat, you can train them to walk together nicely. I agree with feathers83 that individual leashes are the best way to control all three. That's been my experience anyway (with two)
    CountryPug and cellophane like this.

mick66 is offline Village Mayor

I agree with training them individually and then training them to walk together.

LongWalker is offline New to the Village

Default Training is best, train all three

Yes, I agree training is best. However with 3, training takes a lot of time, patience, skills(!), money (if you pay a trainer) and if you have two trained and get a new untrained dog it starts all over. It's especially the time that is a problem for me. It's the training time but also the fact of walking at least twice a day, first to walk the two that are trained then the untrained one. Or when they are all untrained, it is 3 walks. Also even with trained dogs you will get entanglements but it's true not that many, so you can take care of it easily.

With regards to a loose dog attacking your pack, there is no way to keep control over the dogs on three separate leashes or when tied together. No matter the method you have to defend directly against the attacking dog and I think you will not be able to hold all individual leashes or a set of leashes tied together. An attack is always terrible and unbelievable pandemonium. I was in two awful ones directly (bitten once) and in one 'light' one, it's scary, it's no fun.

I agree training is best but not easy to accomplish.

+ Reply to Thread