Going Insane HELP!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Going Insane HELP!

shira is offline Village Puppy

Exclamation Going Insane HELP!

Okay I need help, I have an 11 week old pug puppy, and she is HELL on Paws

I buy her toys everyday, raw hides and kongs.
    She chews them untiil they are dead.

and then she goes for her Pee Pads, and now my "bug netting" I put on doors to keep the nasty flies away when I want to let outside inside my house.

I have two toddlers who play for HOURS outside with her, and I take her for a walk 1-2 hours, and play fetch afterwards.

She will play until she passes out even then she wills till chew/destroy what ever is near her when she does sleep!

OMG HELP ME! I need help ecersizing this DEMON XD

Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker

welcome to puppyhood
    I would suggest a crate and an xpen both......
    confine her to one area of the house

a pug is pug and this might not be the right choice of breed for you
    never heard you say you just love her but...

pugs get into things when they are babies
    11 weeks is young still
    she will settle down in time but not in the near future

alot of dogs have choked on raw ride......not the best choice for a chewie for her
    galleo makes bones that are indestructable litterally
    never had major issues with my pugs as puppies but they were both crate trained and xpen trained too
    and supervised 24/7 when they were out running aroun
    the xpen would easily hold a bed in there for her and toys

what is the girls name??
    do you have a pic of pug??

welcome to the village
    Rosemary and Pug Mom Claire like this.
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

shira is offline Village Puppy

Ive owned rottweilers, dobermens, Labs, and pitbulls in the past.
    but OH my god I have never had a puppy problem like this.
    Kongs are indestructible, but I have watched her rip threw one in a matter of Minutes. - not even a full grown rottweiler could naw threw one of these, and they have jaw power.

I do love her just like i love all my other dogs I have had in the past. but Dang she is already pushing buttons.
    I have two toddlers. and they arnt anything like her, She was just fine until we went to my moms house.

then she learned to be toy aggressive {growling and biting your hand if you try to take the toy away}
    I think she is defective XD {jk really I am} I trained her for "no bite" and "off" from the beginning and do training everyday.

from all the other dogs I have owned, I say this kindheartedly. Pugs are retarded and stubern. But she isnt going to a shelter
    Im keeping her, just gotta get her in more puppy classes and see a vet about her problem .-.

What are pugs bred to do, I mean My lab was a total chaos, then I trained her to be a bird dog.
    my rottweiler was a protection dog
    my dobermen was agility
    my pitbull was a ranch hand.

.-.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

AmyR is offline Village Ninja Pug

IMO, pugs are far from retarded! They are 'too intelligent' and that's the issue with the training!!
    Pugs are bred to be companion dogs :) but I think they can be trained to do alsorts
    Last edited by AmyR; 10-21-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    freak and puglover18 like this.
    Amy
    ~ Will's mum and servant!
    And now mummy to puppy Charlie too! Who said pugs are addictive?! :)

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Quote Originally Posted by AmyR View Post
    IMO, pugs are far from retarded! They are 'too intelligent' and that's the issue with the training!!
    Agreed. Too many non-pug-owners consider pugs to be stubborn or unintelligent, but from my experience, they are one of the smartest breeds out there!! Pugs generally require a totally different type of training and incentive than the other breeds you've mentioned (Rotty, Dobs and pit bull). Pugs are nothing like those breeds. Pugs were born and bred to be companion animals and that's what they are best at. But many pugs excel at agility, flyball, obedience, canine musical freestyle, rally, service dogs for a variety of purposes, therapy dogs and MUCH MORE! It just takes the right type of training.

11 weeks is still very young and Shira is a puppy with lots of growing up to do. I highly suggest you enroll her in puppy classes as soon as possible to provide her with socialization and early skills to help her mature into a wonderful pug.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug and Noodles the Frenchie
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

A very good trainer once told me the first rule of dog training.......you have to be smarter than the dog

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire - 3/15/06 - 6/30/22
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

At 11 weeks she should not be playing for hours and should absolutely not be going for long walks. Too much activity puts stress on their adrenal system. What you are experiencing sounds like signs of stress. She does not need boisterous play with toddlers. Puppies that young also don't need exercise. Reduce her activities, make sure she gets plenty of naps and give it time. Start working on some relaxation exercises. Enroll in puppy class.

Pug puppies can be a handful, but they are anything but stupid. If you use positive, reward based methods, they are easily trained and can excel at agility or obedience.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

Cheryl7777 is offline Village Admiral

Stay calm. I know how frustrating puppy hood can be, but you and your little Pug can make it through this. If that's her in your avatar she is adorable. As the others have said, Pugs and all small breed dogs for that matter, can be very stubborn. She already has you convinced she is "retarded" so she doesn't have to do what you say. I have been around some of the bigger dogs you mentioned and I know how fast some of them learn to do things, but this is a whole new ball game. Consistency and patience are the keys. I would absolutely sign her up for puppy classes. This is for training purposes, but it is also for socialization and for bonding with you. It's really important and helpful if you can do this. In the mean time, I would continue the no bite and substitution method for the nipping and chewing on human hands and feet. I would definitely crate train for potty training. If you're not familiar with that, there are lots of sources of information on the internet for that and do a search on here too. The crate is also good for a time out when enough is enough and you are at the end of your patience and she has pushed one button to many for you. I would not give raw hide chews. The majority of them come from China and they are not safe. If your puppy swallows one of them, it could be a very expensive vet bill to have it surgically removed. I have 4 Pugs and I buy them bully sticks. Bully sticks are made from dried bull penis. I know it sounds gross, but believe me I have never met a dog that didn't love them. You can get pretty good deals at bestbullysticks.com. If she is a really aggressive chewer you can get the thick 6 or 8 inch ones that should keep her busy for awhile. You still have to be careful that she doesn't swallow them once they get chewed down. Another good idea is elk antlers. If you get these, make sure to get the ones that are split so she can get at the good stuff in the center and will enjoy it more. I don't buy these as they are kind of expensive when you have 4 Pugs. You can find them pretty easy by doing a google search. Bully sticks and elk antlers are good for your Pug because they have nutrition from the animal they came from. There is lots of information on the internet about that too. Please don't buy the odor free bully sticks. They are processed with a chemical and some of the chemical remains after the process is finished. I only buy bully sticks that are from the U.S. Sorry this response is so long, but I hope some of it is helpful. Once you get through the worst of the puppy stage and even before, you are going to have the snuggliest, most wonderful companion possible. There are no limits on how much a Pug brings to your life. Good luck and please stick with this website and ask questions and share stories. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and devoted Pug lovers here, so please keep us posted on how things are going.
    Rosemary, freak and Nina_W like this.

ChristinePugMom is offline Village Royalty

Well, I must say your baby must be Elvis' sister, he is the original demon dog and has the marks on his head to prove it. Check out his pitch fork

But seriously it just takes some training, time and lots and lots of patience. Elvis had a recent accident so it has slowed him down a bit, but at 14 months old he is still very much a puppy. We still can not give have pillow for either of our pugs because if it has any type of stuffing Elvis is going to chew for it.
    They really are very very smart and add stubborn to that it can be trying. But the love they give it worth every minute of the puppy stage.

Also this is a great site to come and rant a bit. It helps to talk to others who are going through it or have gone through it. You will not meet a better group of people.
    Mom to Elvis and Buddy

Cheryl7777 is offline Village Admiral

Well, I must say your baby must be Elvis' sister, he is the original demon dog and has the marks on his head to prove it. Check out his pitch fork
    Well that made me laugh right out loud. What a handsome boy Elvis is. What devilish good looks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast