FLYING! Held with Sherpa medium vs. large size?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FLYING! Held with Sherpa medium vs. large size?

pugwinston is offline New to the Village

Default FLYING! Held with Sherpa medium vs. large size?

Hello all,

I adopted a 5 year old pug named Winston about two months ago and he was abused and neglected his whole life. I'm originally from Boston but now go to law school out in Los Angeles. Over winter break, I want to bring Winston home, as I will be in Boston for about 3 weeks.

I would ONLY fly with him under the seat in front of me, never in the checked baggage cabin. My question is, does anyone know how strict airlines (Delta, specifically) is with the carrier size? Winston is 18 lbs and very fit, but I worry that the medium Sherpa might be too cramped. I want to get the large so he has a bit more room, but I don't want to show up to the airport and be turned away because of the size.

My mom actually works for Delta (so thankfully I don't need to pay), but she said it really depends on the gate agent when you check in. Has anyone had issues with being turned away with the large Sherpa, or have you been successful with it?

I think he could probably could fit in the medium, but I want him to have some space to move around and be comfortable. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated!!!

Thanks from myself and Winston!
    Last edited by pugwinston; 10-24-2013 at 01:39 AM.

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

I have no advice as have never flown with Delta. Just wanted to say welcome to the forum and thanks for giving Winston the second chance all pugs deserve. I have a little Winston too :) I hope everything works out with the flight home.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Why don't you give Delta a call? That might be best.

Welcome here :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Pug Auntie is offline Village Admiral

I just flew Delta and I can tell you it's cramped on those smaller planes. I would call them for size info. I can see a medium fitting under the seat in front of you but a large may be too big. Some of the gate agents are very helpful and other's should have stayed home in bed.

Nepags is offline Village Mayor

Most airlines have size requirements listed on their web site or call them directly. I have flown quite often with my pug, but I usually fly United

Loopythepug is offline Village Senator

I have never flown with Delta, but I would go for a medium as sometimes they tend to be picky when it comes to the size of the bag. I have a small Sturdy bag and my 8kg pug still fits in it comfortably, but I don't know if sherpa's sizes are similar. You just have to make sure that he is able to turn around and move without any restrictions inside the bag, but he's not supposed to have a lot of free space, it is actually safer that way in case something would happen, think of it as a seatbelt-it's not exactly comfortable but it keeps you safe. :)

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! Bless you for giving Winston his forever loving home. I'd call Delta and ask as well. Safe travels. Glad to have you aboard!
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

pugwinston is offline New to the Village

Thank you guys, I think I'm going to order the medium and if he doesn't fit in it comfortably I'll return it and opt for the large.

+ Reply to Thread