Official *Picture* thread for "Felt Pugley's World Tour" - Page 42
+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 60 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Like Tree1741Likes

Thread: Official *Picture* thread for "Felt Pugley's World Tour"

Jacqui is offline Village VP

Quote Originally Posted by MuShu Mom View Post
    So that is what Manuka looks like! Is it the one that Mauka honey is made from? Well, the pollen. I always have Manuka honey on hand for wounds.
    Yes, that's it. The bees who feed exclusively off the manuka make the high performance honey - beware of imitations! There are different kinds of manuka, as with any plant. We have a few bushes in our garden.
    Jacqui, mum to 3 human children and 3 furkids - Logie the pug, Luca the flat coat and Oskar the tabby cat

Quote Originally Posted by Wonka & Nilla View Post
    Wow, beautiful view!!!! What a gorgeous place to walk. I loved all the pictures, but especially the last one with Logie. So cute!

And the weather looks wonderful - pretty blue skies. I guess Feltie doesn't need his winter scarf in N.Z.!
    No, he removed his scarf as soon as he arrived, it's warm and sunny here just now. I'll make sure he repacks it when he leaves - I believe he's off to Wyoming, though not sure how the temps are there.

He's had a busy weekend and will post more pics soon!
    Rosemary and Lu Ci and Ri Ki like this.
    Jacqui, mum to 3 human children and 3 furkids - Logie the pug, Luca the flat coat and Oskar the tabby cat

Quote Originally Posted by Nina_W View Post
    I just love that view over the ocean!
    It's the Cook Strait that separates the North and South Island - we're at the bottom of the North. The Pacific is one side and the Tasman Sea on the other, between NZ and Australia, so the Strait can be very turbulent!
    Rosemary and Lu Ci and Ri Ki like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

So FP had a busy weekend, exploring Wellington and surrounds. He started with a little culture in the city:

The Parliament buildings, old and new:

The last one is called the Beehive and is the current Parliament building. Designed by Sir Basil Spence in 1964, I think it is one of the ugliest buildings in Wellington!

In search of history, FP found this little cottage, dating from 1857. Wellington was only founded around 1840, so it's pretty young in terms of post European colonisation:

It's on the site of an old church and the Early Settlers graveyard remains. Sadly, most of it was destroyed when they built a motorway through it in the 70s. Several thousand bodies were exhumed and reburied in a mass grave.

It's a sad but peaceful place in the middle of the CBD.

Feltie also discovered that New Zealand was one of the first places to give women the vote - yay!

After all this learning, he needed a flat white and lemon cake:

Before continuing his walk through the city, where he admired much of the public art on display:

More later!

Next stop Te Papa Tongarewa, the National Museum of New Zealand, where Feltie admires Maori history and culture:

He learned about the Treaty of Waitangi, the Founding document of New Zealand, signed Feb 6th, 1840. It is still controversial today, with ongoing settlements from the Crown for lands taken from the Maori all those years ago:

After all this culture, Feltie seeks some street scenes and heads to Cuba Street, a funky little quarter in the city:

Home to the 'famous in New Zealand' bucket fountain!

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Amazing! I am really enjoying Feltie's trip to Wellington! I've seen the bucket fountain on television - lucky F.P. to see it in person! I am embarrassed to say that I'm a typical ignorant American when it comes to anything about N.Z.'s history. So it was fascinating to see the carvings and learn a bit through Feltie's eyes. Sadly, most of my knowledge of New Zealand is through Lords of the Rings (watching and reading about the filming of it, etc.) and the television show The Almighty Johnson's (LOVE the Kiwi accents!). I think it's time I go read and learn a bit more about your beautiful country!!!!
    Jacqui likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug and Noodles the Frenchie
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Honestly, you live in a magical place. Every photo is gorgeous and fascinating. I'm enjoying FP's journey so much.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

Feltie is coming towards the end of his time in Wellington, New Zealand, so made his way back around the coast to his temporary digs to pack.

He stopped at some of the cute settlements along the Southern coast, such as Oriental Bay, with its views of the city:

And Scorching Bay, with it's gentle beach:

The harbour can be subject to rough seas, even on a bright, sunny day:

But he's finally back at Island Bay, where descendants of the Italian community that settled here initially still fish for crays and snapper:

The small, rocky outcrop is Taputeranga Island and the entire inner area of water is a marine reserve, under protection.

Feltie will be leaving for the airport soon, winging his way to Wyoming. I wonder if he'll come across any more surprises in Wellington? And will he need his scarf in the wide open spaces of the U.S? He'd better remember to pack it, just in case!

gemayer is offline Village Princess Puggy Pants

Wow beautiful

+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 60 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast