Flying in cabin with a pug-- tips?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flying in cabin with a pug-- tips?

Post Flying in cabin with a pug-- tips?

Hi all,

I'm a new pug mommy. I got my little one a few months ago. My 7 month old pug is approximately 10-11 lbs, she was the runt of her litter, so she's probably tiny in comparison to her litter mates.

Have any of you had any experience with flying with your pug- in cabin? Since my pug and the carrier will be less than 20 lbs, I can technically fly in-cabin. My husband and I are moving to Germany in a few months. I plan to fly her from Hawaii to New York (transfer in LA or San Fran to break up the flight alittle) and then spend a few days in New York to allow her to rest and then flying her to Germany.

Obviously, I'm worried about how she will handle the flight. I hear the scent of lavender can calm a pug (and person) down and I was reading other things online about the dangers of giving "drugs" to a dog while they are flying due to possible complications. Although i hear benadryl could potentially help them be more sleepy. I will definitely ask my vet before anything since I have to get my dog a health check anyway. I'm hoping she'll just sleep through most of it.

I also don't want to starve the poor thing or let her become dehydrated, but the flights can be pretty lengthy. It's a 6-7 hour flight from Hawaii to LA. Then another 6 hours from LA to New York. (this isn't even counting the 2 hours prior to the flight for security and checking in.) Should I not feed her the night before the flight to prevent her from pooping? Just give her water?

My concern is that my pug is litter box trained, so when I'm not home-- she stays in her xpen which is also gives her access to her crate with a litter box. She pees and poops in the litter. She's never had to "hold" her pee or poop before so I'm worried about her in the travel bag.
    I bought the sherpa travel bag which is perfect for her to lie down and maneuver a little bit, but I hear dogs won't go wear they sleep so hopefully she won't have any accidents in the travel bag. I plan on buying doggy training pads so i can go to the restroom to let her out in the bathroom halfway through the flight and let her pee or poop on the pad, but I don't know if she will go on those because she is so used to her litter.

Any tips on flying with our little fur-children will be greatly appreciated!

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I've never flown with pugs so I'm not able to offer much advice, but I do wonder if you could do something like take ice cubes along that will slowly melt in a dish inside the travel bag (for her to lick and drink)? Or even something like a rabbit watering bottle? That sounds like a great idea to take potty pads and put them in the bathroom for her mid-flight. I hope she is comfortable and relaxed enough to be able to use them.

Hopefully someone with more experience will be along to give better advice. In the meantime, welcome to PugVillage!
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! I have no experience flying with Tinker but I would definitely put her in the carrier before hand and get her used to it by increasing the times slowly. I think you're going to need to give her water because that's too long a time for them not to drink. Hope all goes well and you get some experienced advice from others on here. Glad to have you aboard!
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

+ Reply to Thread