48 hours from first pug, first dog....ever!!!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 48 hours from first pug, first dog....ever!!!!

wasabimom is offline Village VP

Lightbulb 48 hours from first pug, first dog....ever!!!!

Okay, having total anxiety attack! LOL Our first pug arrives in a scant 48 hours and I am thrilled and scared at the same time! LOL I have been a lifelong animal person, we've been home to a parade of animals over the years and cats have been the cornerstone of our family (oh, yeah the kids and husband too!) It's taken 25 years of perseverance to get my husband to agree to any dog. Not only agree, but be a happy participant. So I ask you lovely pug experts.....any last minute advice? We've got the baby gates at the ready, crate, vet, and sat the kids down for a long talk about safety etc..... Wasabi will be 8 1/2 weeks....Oh and the camera is READY!!!! LOL

Especially any cat-dog interaction advice....I plan on isolating the involved parties initially...puppy in crate, let cats examine, see how it goes. We plan on crate for nighttime, as well as any time he isn't supervised. This is a little overwhelming for the pug parent who wants to be perfect! LOL

ChristinePugMom is offline Village Royalty

I am not an expert by any means, but to me the most important thing is have a lot of Patience and than a lot more. Any puppy is a handful but I found my demon Elvis was something else.
    We crated Elvis from the first night and he took to it right away. We have only recently let him sleep with us and our other pug Buddy, we actually bought a king sized bed so we would all be comfortable.
    You are going to be so pugged very fast.
    The other requirement is lots and lots of pictures for us.
    Rugbysmom, RubyRose and puglover18 like this.
    Mom to Elvis and Buddy

maryluvspugs is offline Village VP

always supervise kitty with puggy. Don't want kitty claws scratching puggy eyes! Congrats!!!
    Last edited by maryluvspugs; 03-24-2014 at 06:58 PM.
    Rugbysmom likes this.
    Mary

Charlie Brown - 14, Olivia & Emmett the Pugs 3

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
    -Roger Caras

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Pug Auntie is offline Village Admiral

I'm excited for you. First dog and first puggie WOW. You are in for a treat.
    I agree, watch kitty claws. I have 2 older declawed rescue cats and one of my dogs gives him a wide berth when walking near him. He got swatted a few times for being a pest and now he's a big baby around him. It's too funny.
    Can't wait to see puppy photos.
    Rugbysmom and wasabimom like this.

puglover18 is offline Village VP

Quote Originally Posted by wasabimom View Post
    .....any last minute advice?
    Sounds like you are more than ready and well prepared and I can feel your excitement... my only suggestion would be to catch a few extra when you can before your baby arrives... He will be up during the night for frequent potty trips, I kept a wee-wee pad next to his crate, because it was extremely cold when we brought home our little guy, and placed him on the pad, once his did his biz, back in the crate for a couple more hours of slumber for both of us... Can't wait to hear all about his arrival and see pics! Lastly, enjoy every single minute, you won't believe how quickly they grow and watching their little personalities develop is a hoot! Patience and a lot of love goes a long way...
    Rugbysmom and wasabimom like this.
    Mommy to Milo ~ Apriil 1, 1997 - August 26, 2013 ~
    ~Always in our Hearts ~ Never Forgotten ~
    Mommy to Zuko born on November 9, 2013

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

I'm so excited for you! The fun is about to begin! I 2nd what everybody else said, especially about supervising kitty & puppy interactions. Cats do seem to "go" for the eyes! Our cat is well used to the dogs & doesn't mind them--in fact, they give her a wide berth. I have seen her rear up on her haunches at our Pug Rugby, doing one of her fake "attacks." And Lab Molly moves right off her bed when the cat gives her the "eye." Then the cat gets the bed.

We're all looking forward to pictures of your little Wasabi's homecoming! Remember everybody here will help with any questions or problems you might have! Puppies are kind of like a blank slate--they don't know much to begin with--they have to learn their names, & everything else! Patience, lots of short training sessions, lots of praise, lots of repetition, and more patience! And always end your training sessions on a positive note!
    puglover18 likes this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Play with your puppy! :D

Doggy play makes me happy.

Do the cats have a safe room away from the dog? IS the litter box well out of reach of a puggy? They sure love cat brownies, which is not what you want a doggy that sits on your lap and licks your face to smell like... nevermind that litter can cause blockages that are very dangerous to a puggy.

Congratulations! :D
    RubyRose likes this.

emilina is offline Village Governor

Without wanting to sound too horrible, let go of the idea of being the perfect pug parent. You WILL make mistakes, we all have and I'm sure you will too and the idea of being a 'perfect' parent will make it harder on you when you do. Just do the best you can and, if it all gets too much, come on here for a rant or put yourself in a room away for the puppy for 5. They really are crazy little devils. If wasabi does get out of hand, especially with biting, try a time out. They're like toddlers, they get naughty when they're over-tired.

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Quote Originally Posted by emilina View Post
    Without wanting to sound too horrible, let go of the idea of being the perfect pug parent. You WILL make mistakes, we all have and I'm sure you will too and the idea of being a 'perfect' parent will make it harder on you when you do. Just do the best you can and, if it all gets too much, come on here for a rant or put yourself in a room away for the puppy for 5.
    This is the best advice!
    RubyRose and emilina like this.

wasabimom is offline Village VP

Thank you all!!! Yes, the cats have two levels of the house that for a long time will be off limits to Mr. pug (upstairs and basement). Moved the potty a week ago to the basement and we all think the cats are happier with it down there (I know mom is happier! ). Because of allergy issues I do not foresee Wasabi sleeping upstairs, ever, so the cats will be happy. What helps the process is springtime! My kitties are indoor/outdoor and after this winter they have serious cabin fever. I am conservatively hopeful that by next winter everyone will have figured out their spot on the animal totem pole!

And the eyes.....I have a good friend who was watching a neighbors dog who got badly slashed in the eye by her cat. I am used to cat on cat violence (over the years many a rescue has called us home) that was a wake up call for me! And the dog in question was a Lab! One good thing is all the kitties we currently have have been with us through a human baby/toddler and are conservative with the claws. The kids and I are on the look out for flying claws!
    Nina_W and emilina like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast