• 1 Post By Angel89411
  • 1 Post By Pat's Crew
  • 1 Post By Angel89411
  • 5 Post By Angel89411
  • 4 Post By ZoeZoesmom

Thread: Robin Williams/ depression / your dog

Ross is offline Village Puppy

Default Robin Williams/ depression / your dog

I miss Robin Williams. I see photos of him with a pug, but don't know if that was his dog???
    My heart goes out to those with the quite desperation of depression, to consider that type of "end" an option.
    My friend Kathy, a nurse, was telling me that more and more service dogs are small breeds like pugs! These dogs can bring comfort and joy to the life of someone in pain. As you make your weekend plans, consider a hour to visit an elderly or sick friend, maybe assisted living facility, and bring your furry friend. Touch a life and let me know what happens...

Angel89411 is offline Village Admiral

That is Leonard Bean.
    Robin Williams was volunteering for Curly Tails rescue and Leonard was the only surviving puppy of a litter. Mr. Williams helped care for him and adopted him. He jokes that Leonard is his gay rescue pug. They were very close. My signature is a real quote of his from an interview.
    Momma to a zoo. We have a total of 3 dogs, 1 service dog in training, 2 cats, and 2 human children. It's one crazy life.

The key to life is "family and friends. And a good pet. For pure loyalty there is nothing like a pug." - Robin Williams

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I miss him too...was like losing a friend. He was younger than me...and I watched him from the beginning!

I'm glad that he had his pug...and his pug had him!!!!! They saved each other for a long time!!!!

I agree that we can help each other!!!
    Angel89411, Loconn55 and wasabimom like this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

wasabimom is offline Village VP

Depression, bi-polar, and schizophrenia run in my dad's family. At the funeral I just attended, it in fact became a topic of conversation among us cousins....and pets were a recurring theme! LOL My aunt said to me "Pam, I could always tell when life was stressful for you.....your home would resemble an ark! " .....Too true. When life gets me down, instead of drugs, alcohol, or the mall, I tend to go to the local animal shelter. Thus the 4 cats, 2 parakeets, 1 guinea pig and 1 pug!

Wasabimom I did the same. I had 4 ferrets, a cat, and 2 dogs at one point. It was a hard day when I realized I could no longer care for them. To pay for everything, I worked so much that I was rarely home. The ferrets especially did poorly. I brought them to a rescue, the cat went to the friend of a friend, one dog went to my dad, the second dog had been my rescue baby since I was a freshman in highschool. He stayed.
    wasabimom likes this.
    Momma to a zoo. We have a total of 3 dogs, 1 service dog in training, 2 cats, and 2 human children. It's one crazy life.

The key to life is "family and friends. And a good pet. For pure loyalty there is nothing like a pug." - Robin Williams

wasabimom is offline Village VP

Quote Originally Posted by Angel89411 View Post
    Wasabimom I did the same. I had 4 ferrets, a cat, and 2 dogs at one point. It was a hard day when I realized I could no longer care for them. To pay for everything, I worked so much that I was rarely home. The ferrets especially did poorly. I brought them to a rescue, the cat went to the friend of a friend, one dog went to my dad, the second dog had been my rescue baby since I was a freshman in highschool. He stayed.
    I feel for you Luckily for me I kept a lid on the pets when money was really tight, and fed my kitty addiction by volunteering! LOL Part of the reason we waited this long for a dog was an awareness of the costs associated with dogs....particularly my favorite smushed faced doggies. Anyone that complains about how much kids cost never had pets! LOL

Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker

I have a therapy pug here and he is the best.........
    he does a lot of good in this community
    not all dogs can be service/therapy dogs
    you can try but if you dog puts up a fuss you have to leave
    a lot of dogs do not care to be fussed over all the time and let me tell you some of the seniors really do fuss over the dogs.lol. one of Max people he sees is a retried veterinarian who also had a pug years ago. she always does the physical exam on Max when he visits and he tolerates it.....lol but Zeus my other pug wants nothing to do with therapy dog things at all.............

you know best if you can dog can handle this or not...........
    they have very strict rules on barking at wheelchairs and such too..
    and your shots have to be up to date on your dog

not trying to shy anyone away from doing this
    but please make sure your dog is comfortable before you go into somewhere and that you call ahead and let the place know
    Jacqui likes this.
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

Quote Originally Posted by wasabimom View Post
    I feel for you Luckily for me I kept a lid on the pets when money was really tight, and fed my kitty addiction by volunteering! LOL Part of the reason we waited this long for a dog was an awareness of the costs associated with dogs....particularly my favorite smushed faced doggies. Anyone that complains about how much kids cost never had pets! LOL

Oh no. My kids cost waaaay more. They have destroyed more things than a puppy. Like a car. My poor car.
    wasabimom likes this.

I think clove would make an excellent therapy dog. Maybe in a year or two, I will have the time for it myself. She is very stable tempered and highly tolerant.

ZoeZoesmom is offline Village Royalty

My daughter is a master social worker and robins death has touched her world on many levels.
    People are like onions, many layers. You have to peel back many layers to reach the core
    I keep telling her I still can't wrap my head around someone who brought so much laughter to many being in such a dark place.
    I think we all have a dark place but are able to cope and pull ourselves out most of the time.
    Mental illness really needs to be approached without the stigma. Getting help should not be looked down upon but rather encouraged.
    Dogs and pets can be very therapeutic. My animals know all my fears hopes and dreams. I tell them things I would never tell others. Good little listeners.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

~Maya Angelou

@}-;-Dawn, Momma to Diesel my Pug love and Sicily the tiny Chihuahua ...my loves
    Missing my big boy...^Tuxedo^, Mommy's Landseer and my heart ^Zoe ^my first Pug❤️
    Gizmo my purr-baby, ^Dega^ , my furry angel watching over me from The Rainbow Bridge

+ Reply to Thread