+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By Ross
  • 3 Post By wasabimom
  • 1 Post By Ross

Thread: Housebreaking issue simply solution

Ross is offline Village Puppy

Default Housebreaking issue simply solution

This morning I see so many posts again on housebreaking. I apologize for always jumping in here, but as many of you know, I volunteer at a shelter and everyday people drop off their dog because the dog is not housebroken.

You know I might be overly sensitive since I spent two days here crying to you all about Robin Williams suicide, I still miss him... But something's in life are preventable if we show love understanding and compassion

I'm an older guy, but when I was younger we all worked 8 hour days, we went home to our family and furry friends. We lived in homes with large yards and dog doors
    Times have changed, we have obligations that steal our time, we live in Apartments and high rise flats, due to crime, I had to give up my dog door. The old rules of housebreaking need to be bent to keep up with the times.

Giving my dog the option of an indoor dog loo has saved our relationship. Before you frustrate yourself or abandon your little guy because of housebreaking, please consider this option of giving your pet the freedom and comfort to have a lap of water, take a nap on a comfy bed, and relieve themselves when nature calls. If your puppy or older dog is having a problem waiting to be walked, do we really need to leave them in discomfort to accommodate our schedule.

There are many options on the market, Best Puppy Litter Box and Indoor Dog Toilet reviews so if your dog is having such issues, take your dog to the vet and make sure they don't have bladder infections, kidney stones, or nerve damage. And before you even consider giving up your dog, work with your dog, find a way to communicate and consider all the options

wasabimom is offline Village VP

This is interesting for me.....Wasabi is our first dog ever and having been an experienced cat lady for all of my life, I approached housebreaking from a cat owner perspective. I was told by many, many people that by pad training him he would never be truly "housebroken" and it was a BIG mistake. Well, like many things in life, I ignored all the nay-sayers and did my own thing. Got Wasabi at 8 weeks.....kept him confined to one small room....re directed him to a puppy pad whenever he had to go. It worked great. When he was big enough to take outside, about 4 weeks later, he started going out for his business. I left the pad for "oopsies". After about a week, no mistakes, took the pad away. Around that time, started letting him in other rooms...slowly. I now have a fully trained dog that I can leave for many hours, no mistakes, no marking and he sleeps through the night. My reasoning for the pad....if I was unable to take him out, I wanted an option for him and us. Pugs are smart so why not give them options?

JustChuck is offline Village Senator

Similar experience with Sparky. We keep the boys confined in a room while we are at work, and when Sparky was very young we put a pad in there for him. I started to notice that he would use the pad even when it didn't seem necessary so I stopped putting it down, and he never went in the house again. When the pad option was there, he used it.
    Former dad to Murphy and Sparky

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Ross is offline Village Puppy

Thank you so much. I hope your thoughts will help people stay with their dogs, knowing that this is an acceptable option, and beats the heck out of bringing your dog to shelter. It's a great option for older dogs that becoming incontinent. People often bring us these dogs, and it makes me so hurt. Here is a loyal friend for 12 years, and now that they can't hold their pee pee you are bringing them to us ? These older dogs are almost impossible to adopt. So we share this option of an indoor dog potty, and we hear great success stories. If you also volunteer at a shelter, please share this with people that say they can no longer keep their furry friend or people that say they can't adopt because sometimes they have to work 10 hours. A loving family, a warm bed, and full tummy is better then the cages here at the shelter even if they wait 10 hours rather than 8 to see you walk in the door
    homer.thepug likes this.

+ Reply to Thread