Nail cutting - Or limb ripping as Emma would call it lol - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Nail cutting - Or limb ripping as Emma would call it lol

WinnieThe Pug is offline Village Puppy

I used an emery board on Winnie a few times and she was squirmy and I didn't get much done.

I'm too chicken to cut them. I hinted as much to vet hoping he'd volunteer. Nope. He said cement walking would file them down. Yeah, right. I finally paid $20 (!) to walk into a groomer/boarder and he said he filed them.

I have to figure out an alternative. READ: I need to be brave and try it myself. GULP.
    babyroni likes this.

maryluvspugs is offline Village VP

Mine are horrible as well. I have to take them to the vet for nail trims. They scream...luckily nail trims don't take too long.
    babyroni and wasabimom like this.
    Mary

Charlie Brown - 14, Olivia & Emmett the Pugs 3

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
    -Roger Caras

Loconn55 is offline Village Royalty

All four of mine fight it like tigers. It's amazing how strong they can be as soon as I dare touch a paw.

The few times I tried clipping Pooka and Chum's claws (with a helper), we all ended up bloody and exhausted. So now I take everybody to the groomer — @ $5 each, it's a deal! She and other groomers I know agree that it IS a pug thing: they're infamous for hating having their paws touched. Fortunately Pooka takes eyedrops without a fuss, since the positive reinforcement I did with dabs of cheese really worked — but not with claw clips! The sandpaper toy box method sounds great—I'm going to give that a try.
    See Lisa's (6 Beautiful Pugs) 'wishlist' for her grumble at the Rusty Pug Retirement Ranch and help them out at:http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi...ref=cm_sw_su_w

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

My old guys would stand in line to get their nails done for treats!

I cannot do Isis ...and she gives the techs a run for their money too!

Ben decided he wouldn't let me do his nails...then this neat woman at the Nationals in San Jose said she'd do them! I left him with her and Ronda (his breeder) and he's let me do his nails ever since!

Charlie fights a bit sometimes on the fronts but usually I can get them done!!!!!

I use a dremel. Cannot cut! Scares me!!!! Especially the way they fight it!!!!! When I have to start doing babies at a week old....I jump with each nail! Get them on the dremel as soon as possible!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

babyroni is offline Village Royalty

You wanna see Dogtor Jekyll and Mr. Hide, bring out the nail clippers! Ruby is horrible about her nails, she fights like she's being murdered. It's so bad I'm afraid she could hurt herself. I usually leave that dirty job to the professionals.lol

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

So let me just understand you guys right. Your dogs are scared and intimidated to the point of hurting you, their most favourite things in the world, and you laugh about it, or swap stories about how hard this is to do? I love you guys, but really, this is not ok.

Make the commitment. There's no excuse for torturing your dogs like this for something that is part of basic, basic care. Teach your dog how to act during this process - they never have to love nail clips, they just have to stocially tolerate them - this is doable!
    It takes time, it takes patience, but nail trims are important and are worth the time and effort to make them easy.

C'mon... zoos teach tigers to stand still for a blood draw. This is a teeny, tiny, affectionate little dog. You can do it

Here are some ways of getting it done. The first video is my own method, it works, and you can easily just bring back more rewards if it starts to slip a bit.

Dog Nail Trim | Videos | Dr. Sophia Yin, DVM, MS

or:
    Train Your Pet to Love Grooming and Nail Trims

or with a clicker:
    Spa Day: How to Train Your Dog to Love a Bath, a Brushing, or Even a Mani/Pedi | Karen Pryor Clicker Training

or another variation on the theme:
    https://canineuniversity.wordpress.c...ve-nail-trims/

Talos doesn't like nail clips. But she sits still and lets me do them, and life goes on. It's not horrible, it takes five minutes once a week, and no one is a scratched up bloody mess. Even Kira now lets me clip all her nails in one sitting (this has taken months), and no chunks of me are missing. Kira actually likes the attention, and comes eagerly for the pick up and the restraining.
    wasabimom likes this.

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

If I could afford to charter a 777, I would fly the mob to you to demonstrate paw regression. It has to be seen......
    Buddy's Mom and wasabimom like this.

SiennasMommy is offline Village Royalty

We take Sienna to the groomer, so they deal wiht the nails. Fortunately, they say she is really easy to do nails and doesn't mind it. She is 8 1/2 years old.
    wasabimom likes this.
    Sienna's Pictures and Bio - http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1302954 I love you, baby girl!

Help Lisa (6 Beautiful Pugs) and the senior pugs at the "Rusty Pug Retirement Ranch" through their Amazon Wish List http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi.../104M0QBM5XSWW

allygirl is offline Village Admiral

I trim Ally's nails when she's getting a bath. She does figit (sp?) and pull some but it's not a full on fight with the nail the trimming.
    wasabimom likes this.

SnugglyPuggy is offline Village Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by shaynapug View Post
    My old guys would stand in line to get their nails done for treats!

I cannot do Isis ...and she gives the techs a run for their money too!

Ben decided he wouldn't let me do his nails...then this neat woman at the Nationals in San Jose said she'd do them! I left him with her and Ronda (his breeder) and he's let me do his nails ever since!

Charlie fights a bit sometimes on the fronts but usually I can get them done!!!!!

I use a dremel. Cannot cut! Scares me!!!! Especially the way they fight it!!!!! When I have to start doing babies at a week old....I jump with each nail! Get them on the dremel as soon as possible!
    Oh my! No offense , but your pugs name is Isis?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast