Nail cutting - Or limb ripping as Emma would call it lol - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Nail cutting - Or limb ripping as Emma would call it lol

AMC7181 is offline Village Governor

Peyton and Bailey don't like it, but we're able to grind nails with the Dremel at home. They stand on a non-slip pad on the table, my husband holds them, and I do the grinding. Takes less than 5 minutes to do both of them; we've actually timed it. Also, they are much calmer if they can't see the grinder, so we've been sitting them so they aren't facing me and then I can simply pull each paw slightly back, toward me, and grind the nails quickly. They get a nice big treat afterward.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and wasabimom like this.

diesels.mom is offline Village VP

Yeah, we just don't trim nails over here...

Sometimes if Boo is in a good mood he'll let me clip them but Diesel puts up the biggest fight ever. So we just don't. Walks on pavement keep them ground down fairly well, although they always tick on our floor.

The sandpaper is a brilliant idea! May have to give that a try.
    wasabimom likes this.

AussieThePug is offline Village Puppy

I did the sleep thing, still do when he's really out, but my guy is actually really great with letting me do anything to him. Shows his dislike for it of course, but he knows he's not getting out of it I think. I have a family member hold him and talk to him, rub his ears and head and he does let me cut them without much struggle. Just have to show him it's not a punishment. Give treats after every foot and tell him how good he's being. He will try to pull away and I just gently rub his paw until he quits pulling then quickly clip. Keep doing it and make it as positive as possible.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Oscar & Margo is offline Village Mayor

It is for sure a pug thing! Oscar bites the vet tech's when they try and trim him. I bought a dremmel. The noise was really scary to them at first but for a few days I'd just turn it on and sit it on the floor.. and turn it off and put it up to their nails without it running and then after a few days I used it on both of them. They both put up a good fight but I let them know I'm the boss and now they sit through it no problem. It has been a life saver!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

Shan01 is offline Village Governor

I pay 2x a month for my vet to do them. Its 15 dollars (and two doors away, so yay). Not cheap, but Edgar hates me doing it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123