New York to California travel with a pug
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New York to California travel with a pug

milab is offline Village Puppy

Default New York to California travel with a pug

Hi everyone I'm relocating from ny to California in a few weeks for work.
    Has anyone done this flight with a pug before ? My boy is almost 5 and he has never flown before. I've been reading about traveling with pugs and that they can be in cabin with you under the seat. Chunk is a little on the bigger side for pugs he's a big longer and weighs almost 30 lbs. I read that the carrier must be of certain size in order to fit under the seat and the weight limit with the carrier is 30 lbs which is gonna put us over the limit. I'm also a bit worried at how he will be on the plane with the altitude and for 6 hours just worried about puggies and their breathing. If anyone could please share your experiences, advice, airlines used etc. Anything advice would be helpful. Thanks !

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

He does sound a bit big to go under the seat. There are places that takes pets as a job! Here's one that was mentioned by a friend of mine....don't know the cost. Jim the Pet Mover....dogs go in the cabin! I googled: https://www.google.com/#q=Jim+the+Pet+Mover

I know if you do take him with you and have a lay over....you can take him outside to potty and walk. Did that with Ben from Columbus to San Jose, CA. Stop over in Vegas!

Ben had never traveled either...he was TERRIFIC!!!!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

sassismom is online now Village Original Southern Dame

Check with your airline for their requirements. One of the villagers got permission for her's to be in her lap when they flew to Spain as a therapy dog......that might be the way to go
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow My Sweet Babies until we meet again at the Bridge Sassi (1998 - 2011) Angus (2005 - 2017) Meelah (2005 - 2018) Sissi (2011 - 2019) Cecil (2018 - 2020)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Any one have suggestions on which airlines are more pet friendly than others ? I know they are several who are pet friendly but since I've never flown wasn't sure if some where better or worse.
    Thanks everyone !

Shaynapug- I'm planning to have a direct flight ..figured less stress for both of us. Did you give Ben any sedatives prior to the flight ? I'm so worried about our little ones in the are with all their breathing issues! I just want to make sure he will be ok. On the other hand I would have to drive and he would have to be in a car for 5 days. Have an appointment with the vet next week gonna see what she suggests as well. Just wanted to reach out to all you puggie parents who have been in the same boat.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I didn't give Ben anything.....We had 2 hrs...and then 3 or 4 plus the lay over!

Did get him out in Vegas....

He was terrific! Only weighed 21 lbs.

You can buy a small fan to put on the floor by the mesh of the carrier if it gets too warm. They work on batteries.

I saw on TV that they are tightening up on the therapy dogs and you have to have it from a good place as too many people were getting certified on the internet and really didn't need therapy dogs! Those dogs fly free too!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

babyroni is offline Village Royalty

No advice, just want to wish you the best! As a side note when we moved here from Denver we drove with 2 bulldogs for two days and they did great!

lotusseeds is offline Village VP

Quote Originally Posted by sassismom View Post
    Check with your airline for their requirements. One of the villagers got permission for her's to be in her lap when they flew to Spain as a therapy dog......that might be the way to go
    If you qualify with an emotional disability, you can get your dog on board as an emotional support animal, but you have to have your paperwork signed off by your doctor and to the airline before you fly. You alos have to be confident that your dog will be good on the flight, Dumpling was a charm on three different flights, two lay overs and one overseas flight of 8 hours. The current philosophy on drugging pugs is that it raises their temperature and that it hinders breathing in a dog that may already struggle breathing, so I would not sedate a pug.
    Driving is not bad at all, we take our puggy when we travel, her longest trip was 18 hours.
    Will you have a travel partner, do you have room for a crate in your car, how long will drive before you stop, can you get a pet friendly hotel/motel along the way?
    Things to think about.
    Pam, pugmom to Dumpling and human mother to 3

Jacqui is offline Village VP

Think I'd be tempted to do the road trip. An adventure; you can stop when you want; no cabin/breathing issues.

Your boy may have to endure 5 days in a car, but he'll be with you and can move around comfortably, with rest breaks and you could book pet friendly accommodation in advance.

But that's just me and you may have time constraints. With research, I'm sure a flight is doable. We relocated from Scotland to New Zealand with our Flat Coat - not a pug, so less issues, obviously but one piece of consistent advice we received from the expert pet relocators was that, whatever the breed, do not sedate. You don't know how a dog will react and you're in big trouble if he/she becomes unwell on a flight, cabin or not.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Jacqui, mum to 3 human children and 3 furkids - Logie the pug, Luca the flat coat and Oskar the tabby cat

Ron
    Ron is offline Village Mayor

We flew our Darcy(now at the Bridge) from Michigan when we adopted her, to Florida. We did not sedate her and she was great. Slept during the entire trip. No breathing issues at all. We even had a layover in Atlanta. We took her out of the case, had her on our lap and walked her around a bit. No one said anything.

When we were snowbirds, we would drive from Florida back to Michigan with our two Pugs. It is somewhat stressful since it is all high speed freeway driving with trucks and, at times, heavy traffic.

If I had a choice, I would elect to fly my Pug over a long distance car ride.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast