Pug Tips - from a first time Pug owner - Nino Brown!
1. Clean wrinkles daily - non alcoholic baby wipes - non scented
2. Clean ears /check ears every 2 days - they can get ear infections
3. Be mindful of how much food they are given/treats
4. Make sure you get your pug out for exercise they love to be lazy, but weight issues can make a pugs and your life miserable.
5. Speak to your vet about "Cosequin" if and when you should put your Pug on it. ( for joints and hips )
6. Be patient - like mentioned before they are stubborn but very smart. Talk to them....explain things.. they will get it.
7. Pug hair everywhere - get used to it.
8. They will always want to be with you...yes my pug sleeps in my bed every night.
I second that advice on measuring the pugs food. I have an overweight pug which I am trying to get to lose weight and it's hard. I got a new puppy 8 months ago and I measured out the food right away to avoid the weight gain. Also my puppy chews on everything and had to have surgery to remove some bedding from his stomach which wouldn't pass. So I would watch out for that in case your pug is a chewer. My older pug isn't a chewer so I guess it depends on the pug. Good luck on your new pug!
Yes number 8 is very true Nino Brown. When we say that pugs like to be with their people we're not kidding. They will follow you to the bathroom and wait for you. Wait for you to shower, sit next to the stove while you're cooking, follow you outside even if you're just stepping out to take out the trash. Watch every tv show with you. etc.. you get the picture. They love togetherness.
it's lovely, having a little puggy shaped shadow.
Have you signed up for a socialisation/puppy class? This can be worth its weight in gold. Find one that uses only positive reinforcement, like a clicker trainer.