First pug in my life, starter tips
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: First pug in my life, starter tips

David148 is offline New to the Village

Smile First pug in my life, starter tips

Hello all, in 2 days im getting my first dog ( pug ) ever. Do you have any starter tips, to have a good start with my dog. Also i hear about pugs smelling bad, is this true? Im living in an apartment, does this smell is going to be a problem?
    babyroni likes this.

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

who told you that pugs smell bad? They do not, unless they need a bath. Are you sure you are able to make a lifetime commitment to this dog? 13-15 years? How much homework have you done on pugs and what made you decide to get one? They're not for everybody, they are high maintenance, and costly.....you may want to reconsider
    babyroni likes this.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 3 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14

All my life i love dogs, pugs are one of my favorite breed. I have done my homework i think. Made a special small room for the dog, cleaned all chewy thing, going to buy a bad for the dog soon. I think i am ready for him. Just needed some "starter tips" from more experienced people.
    babyroni likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

well pugs are people dogs, they want to be with you constantly, so I hope you aren't putting him in his own room.....he will probably want to sleep with you.
    Are you able to give him a lifetime commitment?
    babyroni likes this.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 3 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14

Definitely ready to commit. I made a small room so he can have his one place to chill, eat...
    We are a 4 member family so he will do just fine, he will have company all the time :))
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and babyroni like this.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

It's not really possible to give starter tips if you have already done your homework. Best to bring the pup home and ask specific questions. Pugs don't smell unlesstjetebisva problem or they have rolled in something dirty

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

freak is offline Village Royalty

if you see me with my pug i am always smelling him , pugs smell really good unless they roll in something :)
    i can still smelll my precious LB

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Hi & Pugs SHOULDN'T smell, but they might if they have some kind of problem....You need to feed them a good quality food--that helps a lot! If you feed them cruddy food, that can cause them to smell. If your Pug has deep wrinkles, you have to clean them regularly & make sure they are dry. Ears can smell if they get an ear infection. Mouth can stink if they have bad teeth from not getting their teeth cleaned if & when they need it. Anal sacs can really stink if the dog can't express them himself--in that case a vet has to do it. Some skin conditions can cause them to smell. All of these things can be true of any dog, not just Pugs. Basically if your Pug has a very unpleasant smell, you need to get him to a vet to find out the reason.

Pugs have to be indoor dogs--because they are prone to breathing problems, they can't handle any extremes of heat or cold. Please use a harness instead of a collar, as they have rather delicate tracheas that can be easily injured with a collar. Because they are prone to eye problems, be very careful of children playing with a Pug--they must be gentle & never poke at the eyes! If you have a cat, be very careful of that, for the same reason.

I hope you will have a lot of fun with your dog--will it be a pup, or is it grown up? If it is a pup, & you need any tips for house training it, just ask--we have lots of experience on here! Also, your pup may have a few restless nights to start out with, but they will adjust quickly!
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

babyroni is offline Village Royalty

Hi and welcome!!! How old is your pug and is it a boy or girl?

NurseNugget is offline Village Puppy

Rugbysmom covered a lot of good tips! Pugs are prone to yeast infections in their wrinkles and ears. Every pug I have had, had a stinky face, no matter how well I cleaned it. You get used to it. I use unscented baby wipes to clean daily (well, mostly daily). Don't use anything alcohol-based, as it will dry out the skin and promote breakdown. If your pug starts to rub his wrinkle on corners of tables/chairs/whatever, he could have a bit of yeast growing in there, so make sure you clean it extra well. When they do that, they will traumatize the skin and open it up to infection.

Be patient. They are highly intelligent animals, but also unbelievably stubborn, and will test your patience. Probably multiple times a day. Teach him tricks, to work out his little pea brain, and don't be surprised if you say the command "come" one hundred times, and he just stares at you for 5 minutes, before walking the other way. Or maybe my dog is just a jerk.

Measure out his food. I cannot tell you how important this is. Marty is the third pug I have had, and the least food-motivated, so I relaxed a bit, since he would always leave food in the bowl after he was finished eating. Now he is three pounds overweight, which does not sound like much, but it is for a wee pug. Even better, feed him his regular food as treats throughout the day, instead of tossing it in the bowl.

Be really careful with him outside during extreme weather, especially heat. Even if it is only 18C (I think that's like 65F?), if there is humidity, it can be dangerous for your pup. My friends all think I overreact with my dog, but I have seen what heat stroke can do to dogs and it is sad and tragic. If your guy is panting and his respiratory rate is dramatically increasing - dunk him in water and get him somewhere cool as quickly as you can. Carry water with you always.

Pugs are wonderful, albeit needy animals. If you think you will keep your pug off the couch or bed (unless you crate him), think again! They need to be with their people. If I am sitting on the couch, you can guarantee my dog is awkwardly trying to lie across me, for maximum contact.

My best tip - have so much fun with him! You are in for a hilarious ride with your dog. They are the craziest, most lovable dogs ever.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast