Introducing new pup to family soon
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Introducing new pup to family soon

puggysmomma is offline Village Puppy

Default Introducing new pup to family soon

Just a tad bit of background: Douglas (my Pug) is 11 weeks old and has been with my family for almost 2 weeks. In about 3 more weeks our son's Husky pup will be coming home to live with us! We are supposed to go and formally meet the Husky - Ghost - sometime this week. We had him reserved when we found out his momma was having him (the owner of the Husky is a friend of my husbands).

When we go to meet Ghost (not bringing him home, just meeting him) - I was going to give him a baby blanket with my son's scent on it. I'd like them to share the closest bond. Should I also have the Pug scent on there as well, or do you think that's overwhelming?

I initially thought I would keep them separate for a few days and let a nice bond form between my son and his new pet and then between my husband and I with Ghost too. Then introduce him to Douglas the Pug a few days after he has settled in. Or is it best to just let them meet and play right away? They will not be co-sleeping together or even sharing a room (the Pug and the Husky) as the Husky will sleep and remain mostly with my son in his room. They will, however, get to run and play together in our fenced in yard and as they get older we will be doing a lot of leashed walks.

Just trying to get some thoughts/opinions from people who have been there/done that! Thanks in advance!!!

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Look up sibling syndrome. You're raising too puppies together - if you want the primary bond to be with people, and not with each other, you will need to separate them.

Congratulations! We would love pictures! :)

puggysmomma is offline Village Puppy

Alrighty! thanks! Looking it up!

+ Reply to Thread