• 2 Post By ChristinePugMom
  • 2 Post By Wally 'n' Leto
  • 1 Post By Tinker's mom
  • 2 Post By Nina_W
  • 1 Post By jjchouinard

Thread: "Burying" treats Looking for idea

Seliat is offline Village Mayor

Default "Burying" treats Looking for idea

Petey is 6 months old now. He likes to dig in soft things chair, blankets my lap. Last month he went from eating any chew type treats to finding a spot to bury it in the house. Usually between the cushions on the couch, under a pillow in the creases of my recliner. If it's an inch or bigger he wants to bury it. He recently stuck his sweet potato stick in my son's school bag, I removed it and broke it in little pieces, he ate it then went to the bag disappointed he couldn't find his stick.
    Oh and only edible things, not chew toys.

Sometimes 10 minutes to an hour later he returns and either eats it or moves it. If we move it and he goes back for it he gets confused and searches.
    Many times he forgets about it.
    He rarely eats them right off the bat anymore.

It's cute and funny but it's also gross to find soggy, dog slobbered treats decaying in my furniture.

Squirrels are stealing from my neighbors apple tree and the drop bits in my yard. Tonight Petey hid a rotting chunk he found in his mouth and then shoved it in my couch cushion. He's also brought in peanut shells he found.

I need a creative solution.
    Has anyone come up with a homemade digging/burying indoor spot?
    I'd love to have a place for him to bury his treasures, that I can clean when needed.

Seliat is offline Village Mayor

FYI he's a very playful pug, he loves toys and loves to play games. He's very happy go lucky. He's also a snuggler and is my baby and is adored by my son and my dad, our older dog, even the cat gives him love. He's not digging cuz he's bored or anxious, it's a 2'second dig, shove the treat in to save for later. He use to dig more but since he discovered he can hide his treats the digging is not the fun part for him.
    So I really want to find a fun compromise on this so if you have any ideas on what I can buy or build please let me know.

ChristinePugMom is offline Village Royalty

I have no solution but I do have my Elvis who has done this since he was a baby. He is now 3 and continues to hide treats, he will actually steal Buddy D's and hide it also. What is funny, is that Buddy D will just watch him as he "buries" the treat and when Elvis walks away he goes gets it.
    Poor Elvis also will hide it in plain sight, we laugh at him all the time.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Seliat like this.
    Mom to Elvis and Buddy

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

We have a sofa full of deer antlers, under and behind the cushions. The cleaning lady finds them (if we forget to dig them out), and leaves them lined up on the table for us. Wally's record is 8 at a time (this was before we caught on, and we kept buying more, thinking they had disappeared entirely).

Leto steals dirty laundry, socket and underwear mostly, and buries it in his bed. Laundry day always involves a thorough search under all the dogs' cushions, or we end up with way too many socks with no mate.

At least our guys' items don't go bad..... :P
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Have you thought about the Kygen soft toys that hold eggs the dog has to get out or puzzle toys? I'd also do some "leave it" training for things outside.
    Seliat likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

sassismom is offline Village Original Southern Dame

Meelah used to hide her treats, when I would see her I would get them and put them up so she would be ok during the day when I am gone. Now she just eats them or Sissi will finish them off!
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow My Sweet Babies until we meet again at the Bridge Sassi (1998 - 2011) Angus (2005 - 2017) Meelah (2005 - 2018) Sissi (2011 - 2019) Cecil (2018 - 2020)

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

My cocker used to hide her treats - often under the duvet in my bed - yuck! At 3 yrs old she seems to grown out of the habit - apart from which her little puggy sister would now scoff any 'hidden' food treats in a flash lol!

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

My Kira (sausage mix) does this, while Talos (pug) occasionally stashes something she thinks is important (like a USB stick, or a pen, or socks ... rarely food).

You can cover the couches with cloth that prevents access to the deeper folds (we did this). You can also switch to an open laundry basket and allow that as a hiding spot (those clothes are dirty anyway).

jjchouinard is offline Village Mayor

I bet finding a soggy treat isn't a treat for you! Good luck!
    Seliat likes this.

+ Reply to Thread