breed intelligence rankings. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: breed intelligence rankings.

DantePugs is offline Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanche
    I think the Lab ranks so high because of it's "trainability". I agree that most of them are goofs, but they are highly trainable for specific tasks. I don't think factors such as manipulative skills, dramatic acting and knowledge of human weaknesses were factored in--otherwise, pugs would be right up there in the smarts ranking.
    That's exactly it Blanche. Pugs are companion dogs and that's what they were bred to be...All the top dogs on that list are working dogs with specific instincts built in that allows them to do seem more intelligent.

So uh, you have to train a Border Collie to catch a frisbee....But do you have to train a Pug to be a companion?
    DantePugs

Lemon is offline Village Admiral

Seems to me, the smartest breeds are the ones that *don't* always do what you want. I mean, when I'm calling Lemon in from a nice, sunny day, and she's looking at me like I'm insane, who's the dumb one? Her for staying out there... or me for staying inside?
    Kathleen (and Lemon, too!)

©Amanda Jones Photography

Ling is offline Village Mayor

Just want to pipe in here for a cute commentary! Has anyone seen the Christmas special "The Year Without a Santa Claus"? It was narrated by Burl Ives and had some quite cute moments (animated). Well, my husband and I have a Pug and a Labrador, it's been noticed without arguement that my Pug, Mai Ling has the upper hand in all animal relations in the house. In this Christmas special, two elves leave the North Pole to secure Santa's role in Christmas. The taller, skinnier elf is, well, a little slower, and more the optimist. The shorter, stouter elf is smarter, faster, and more up to speed than the taller one. Every time I watch this with my husband, I am so happy to let him know that the "smarter" one is our Pug, Mai Ling, and the taller one is Samwise, our Lab. This causes quite the debate on who is the smarter dog, but Mai Ling always wins!

Yes, Labs are smart, but they take guidance to become that way. Pugs are smart on their own, without any necessary guidance! Watch the Christmas special and see!
    Stacy & Mai Ling

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them; that's the essence of inhumanity.
    ~George Bernard Shaw

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

Ceylon of the Tall Grass, here. I might point out that I employ a hybrid lab/border collie cross. The unfortunate truth of the matter is that she is so wired and so desperate to please, it is difficult to pack her tool bag and load the tivo and satellite dish without resorting to tranquilizers. Or a smack to the snout. The jittery need to please also makes her soldering hap hazard, just not reliably NASA spec. I have found my elderly pug secretary flighty but eager to learn. For myself I have risen above common road agent and thief to collections agent, to bought-the-degree-on-the-internet, international attorney. The kitchen staff always mutters something about gilding the lily, or chrome won't cover rust---but the newspaper is full of willing cooks. I am a PUG, fawn and free. Ceylon of the Tall Grass

pugtwinsmom is offline Village Admiral

Kathleen,
    Cud u tell me what my intelligence ranking is.... I be weal intelligent but I seep a lot. Also, I be helpful. I took off all da duct tape around da pipe thing on the air conditioning unit last week in case mom wanted it..and I clean her sofa by unzipping the back of da cushions. Months later, I still know dere are zippers on da back. I not stupid..even if I failed out of school..and da teacher said I had a low IQ and dat I was "special ed". Nope, I tink I am smart. When I get sleepy my tongue hangs out, but dat don't mean I be dumb.
    --Your friend Zoe

Jennifer, and mama's princesses--
    Tessie, a tiny, black diva,
    Zoe- my slobberin' lovable english bulldog--with selective hearing

jwestoverpug is offline Village Royalty

Since this was based on obedience judges, I don't think pugs had a fair shot at it in the first place. Pugs are few and far between in most performance events, so the judges probably haven't worked with enough to have a true sense of the breed. It's not from a lack of ability in my opinion...the average pug owner just doesn't think to get involved with these events.

Pugs really have an undeserved reputation for being difficult to train in my opinion.

Oh yeah, about chasing geese off golf courses. Bill and I always joke that we need to get Kittie hired to do that...she does one heck of a job chasing every creature out of our yard!!

Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Imon
    I think this sort of ranking is looking at typically "dog-like" behaviors - fetching, herding, basically doing what they are told to do. Pugs are not collies and will never be. Pugs are unique individualists and that's why we love them so much.
    I agree. Plus I know I speak for more than just myself when I say I don't even think most of our pugs know they are dogs!!

ViralMD is offline None

If it's based on dogs in the obedience rings, then papillons, shetland sheepdogs, border collies, corgis, German shepherds and, amazing to me, too, goldens would be right up there. Notice that 'fluffy' dogs do well in obedience? That's because with a dog with a LOT of fur if the 'sit' is a little off the judge doesn't see it as much as with a dog without fluff. So pugs are at a disadvantage right from the start with obedience, because anything less than a perfectly straight sit or down or front will be seen in a flash! But I know Cyril is incredibly smart. He can learn something in about five minutes (OK, there has to be a food reward, but he'll still learn it!). Which is more than I've EVER seen a Labrador retriever do...
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

My family has always had Goldens. They are extremely intelligent. You wouldn't see so many of them as bomb sniffers, or as guide dogs if they weren't. I imagine it is the owners who don't take the time out of their very busy days to train their "accessories". It just burns my a** to see people with a beautiful golden who has no social skills!

I also take issue with the Pug's ranking. Only my crafty little Zelda could "surf" the trash can, pick out the banana peels, without disturbing anything else, and not leave any evidence...save for the remnants that, um, trail behind after a poo.

hey now, watch the hate!
    I feel I must speak, as an owner of a pug and a lab: I always thought Bella, our lab, was an exception to the "dumb goofy lab" assumption, but she really truly is brilliant. She is not at all hyper active or "naughty" - has NEVER had an accident in the house (and we've had her for 6 years, since 8 weeks old); she barks to alert us of visitors, but she stops when told to; she pays hide and seek with pb filled kongs; and truly, she would drown in her own drool before she'd consider stealing food from a counter/table/plate/child' hand; and she's never chewed a piece of furniture, item of clothing, or treasured Barbie doll foot. Sorry, but it's all true. I wish I could say the same for Zoe...

However, Bella can't fit on my lap, so Zoe wins my heart every time. All breeds have their good and bad points, for sure, and they all have a perfect owner and family out there somewhere.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast