breed intelligence rankings.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: breed intelligence rankings.

Lemon is offline Village Admiral

Default breed intelligence rankings.

The latest issue of Modern Dog has an article that ranks breeds by their intelligence, according to 199 dog obedience judges. The Pug ranks 57th out of 79. I wouldn't have much of a problem with it, since I don't know other breeds that well... but the Labrador Retriever ranks 7th! Are they serious? Maybe it's just the particular labs I've known, but every last one's been dopey. Beautiful, but not the sharpest tool in the shed.

If you're interested, the Border Collie is #1, and the Afghan Hound is #79.
    Kathleen (and Lemon, too!)

©Amanda Jones Photography

Blanche is offline Village Gaia

I think the Lab ranks so high because of it's "trainability". I agree that most of them are goofs, but they are highly trainable for specific tasks. I don't think factors such as manipulative skills, dramatic acting and knowledge of human weaknesses were factored in--otherwise, pugs would be right up there in the smarts ranking.

Yeah, I mean, I know I'm biased, but I think Lemon's pretty brilliant. Maybe pugs are too human to make it a fair race.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Boogs Dad is offline Village Admiral

Since all of us calculate each others inteligence on how much the other person belives the same thing we do, I think the breed intelegence was based on obedience and desire to please the trainer. Pugs love us, but dont always take our word on it when we tell them what is best. I prefer to think of them as independant free thinkers. Boston Terriers are even more independant and free thinking in my experience. Cats by this definition are genius

Todd,
    Puppys Dizzy, Corkey and Tucker.

nbad311 is offline Village VP

Don't know if its the filthy rich owners and the lack of genuine training with their dogs, but the Goldens we see at our vet are, for the most part, 1. rowdy, 2. misbehaved, 3. lacking skills to perform ANY sort of tricks, 4. disinterested in intelligent human interaction.

(Don't know where Goldens ranked, but to me, in general, they are ALWAYS overrated).

$0.02 donated by Jess!
    Jess, mother of Abby, Peaches, and Poly

Golden... #4!

Bree is offline Village Admiral

Isn't the Poodle high on that list? You wouldn't think so, but apparently, they're very smart.
    Emily, mom to Sally and Baxter

Imon is offline Village Turtle Lady

I think this sort of ranking is looking at typically "dog-like" behaviors - fetching, herding, basically doing what they are told to do. Pugs are not collies and will never be. Pugs are unique individualists and that's why we love them so much.

If you want to work with dogs that don't fall into the "trainable = intelligent" mold, try Kerry Blue Terriers (or most of the terrier breeds). They also CAN be trained, but don't always perform on command, unless they feel like it.

From what I've read about the breed, Border Collies can be very difficult to live with if they don't have a definite job to do and a chance to work off all that excess energy. I mean, can you see a pug running after Canada Geese day after day for hours each day? Not unless the goose is served up on a silver platter with a side dish of kibble or veggies!
    Otto's mom (also known as Linda)

Yep, the Poodle's #2, followed by the GSD. I can definitely attest to the intelligence of poodles. They're whipsmart and *so* trainable.

Blanche is offline Village Gaia

Standard Poodles are very sharp!! Can't speak for the smaller versions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast