question re: growling
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: question re: growling

Puglove2 is offline Village Dr. McSweetie

Default question re: growling

i love all three of my dogs to death! they are usually each wonderful in their own ways and get along really well.

however, there is a little problem with winston, my black puggie. he is extremely territorial over things like bones/treats. today, i bought the guys these stuffed bones, knowing they would love chewing on them and trying to get the dog food out of them.

well, winston had his own ideas. he decided that all three bones were going to be his and he actually got really mean and snapped and growled at basil, my pug puppy, who is almost 5 months old now.

it really scared me. i had to take the bones away. do you think winston would hurt my other two? how do i stop this behaviour?

You can try practicing taking away his food while he's eating & only returning it when he's calm.

Oscar is fine with his regular dog food, but if he gets a special treat he can get snippy.

I usually give it to him & take it away several times. They need to know the treat is yours & not theirs. If he snaps at his brother or tries to get tough with me (he just growled & holds on for dear life) I take it away for good.

I know others on here, can only give treats to a pack if they are around to watch the aftermath & some need to be separated

Puglove2 is offline Village Dr. McSweetie

thanks for the tips! i will try that!

love your pugs, by the way. and their names!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Pugsleigh is offline Village Admiral

When I give special treats and chew toys.

I make sure that they all get it at the same time and
    close off the room, or Pugsleigh (my black pug) will
    hide hers and steal from the others. I have learned
    the hard way and try to avoid confrontations.

+ Reply to Thread